CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
Robby Dinero

Profile:
Affiliation agreement - Lawyer needed?

Hi,
I received word about 2 weeks ago that our affiliation was approved, pending insurance and signing the agreement. I have read through the agreement word for word. It seems to be very straight forward. I just don't know what I don't know; I may be in blissful ignorance. Did any of you have an attorney read over the agreement? Did you find it necessary or helpful? Did having your attorney review it illuminate anything you had not already seen? Is the agreement as straight forward as I am understanding it to be?

Thank you,
Robby Dinero
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Affiliation agreement - Lawyer needed?

I did not. Why? I had alot of people I hold in high regard to have been affiliated for a number of years, and even if the lawyer found something he "didn't like the language of", it wasn't going to be able to be changed. Third, it was not long term, I could get out of the agreement at any time without penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Dinero View Post
Hi,
I received word about 2 weeks ago that our affiliation was approved, pending insurance and signing the agreement. I have read through the agreement word for word. It seems to be very straight forward. I just don't know what I don't know; I may be in blissful ignorance. Did any of you have an attorney read over the agreement? Did you find it necessary or helpful? Did having your attorney review it illuminate anything you had not already seen? Is the agreement as straight forward as I am understanding it to be?

Thank you,
Robby Dinero
Old 09-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

If you have a friend who is an attorney, or better, a member, and they can read it for you and explain what it means in plain language, that might be worthwhile. If you've got experience reading legal documents, probably unnecessary.

Nothing in there is tricky or underhanded -- it is all pretty straightforward. But you should take the time to really read and understand it so you don't violate the agreement by accident. That would be a crappy way to loose your affiliation.

If there are parts you don't understand, or that are unclear, you could always ask CFHQ for clarification. I don't know if they would have time to answer, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Archibald Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you,
Robby Dinero
Hey if you dont mind me asking i was wondering how long did it take fo your gym to get approved? I have been waiting for four weeks now and still havent herd anything from them.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Robby Dinero

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald Brown View Post
Hey if you dont mind me asking i was wondering how long did it take fo your gym to get approved? I have been waiting for four weeks now and still havent herd anything from them.
It took 5 weeks. Just got my insurance certificate to them today. I am hoping to be officially official by Tues. Once the contact you they do a nice job of returning emails and maintaining good comms throughout the remaining process.

Good luck.

Robby
Old 09-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
Archibald Brown

Profile:

Quote:
It took 5 weeks. Just got my insurance certificate to them today. I am hoping to be officially official by Tues. Once the contact you they do a nice job of returning emails and maintaining good comms throughout the remaining process.

Good luck.

Robby
Alright thanks Robby.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
Bruce Larsen

Profile:

Great...I know the receipt I received said, up to 3 weeks...I am at 3.5 weeks, I guess I have a couple weeks to go. I guess I will just open my CrossFit without using the name of course, so I can get it all set up, so when the approval finally comes though, I'll be pretty much ready.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Archibald Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Larsen View Post
Great...I know the receipt I received said, up to 3 weeks...I am at 3.5 weeks, I guess I have a couple weeks to go. I guess I will just open my CrossFit without using the name of course, so I can get it all set up, so when the approval finally comes though, I'll be pretty much ready.
Yea, im still waiting, I might do the same thing, my investors and I are very anxious to start.