CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
Graeme Moore

Profile:
Re: How to fix my sleep issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
I was the same way. Now i sleep in total darkness. Black curtains an black tape over ANY led light source. Ditch the alarm clock and use the cell phone or an unlighted old fashioned alarm clock. Any light disrupts seratonin or melatonin whichever. Did all that and now i am sleeping better than i have my entire life. Then i added zma and it got really awesome.
Brett, do you have difficulty waking up, if so what have you done to counter that?

We recently got a new curtain and a blackout blind up, it's been fantastic. Like sleeping in a f**king tomb, as my wife so eloquently put it! But we get to sleep straight away and it's good quality sleep, no waking up.

However, when the alarm goes off it's a nightmare as it's still pitch dark and really easy to go back to sleep. It's also a major jolt when I open the blind, like Hiroshima or something.

I can't afford one of those natural light alarm things, they're like over 100.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

I will say, from my none medical background and knowing people with sleep apnea, your symptoms sound very much like there symptoms. I would seek out a sleep clinic in your area and see what they have to say about things.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
Brett, do you have difficulty waking up, if so what have you done to counter that?

We recently got a new curtain and a blackout blind up, it's been fantastic. Like sleeping in a f**king tomb, as my wife so eloquently put it! But we get to sleep straight away and it's good quality sleep, no waking up.

However, when the alarm goes off it's a nightmare as it's still pitch dark and really easy to go back to sleep. It's also a major jolt when I open the blind, like Hiroshima or something.

I can't afford one of those natural light alarm things, they're like over 100.
Lol no. Years of getting up for work make it hard for me to sleep past 630 at all if i go to bed before midnight
Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Kind of the same type of problems as the OP. ZMA doesn't do anything for me. Melatonin SOMEWHAT helps, but I have to take it so early in the night (7:30-8ish) if I want to be asleep by 11.

Normally I am up till just about 2 every night just laying there in bed with the TV off, computer off, phone off, etc. My biggest problem is falling asleep in the first place. I don't wake up often, but i would love to get 2 more hours of sleep a night.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
Cain Papettas

Profile:

low testosterone will do it to you, i have woken up for the past year at around 12-3 am for a pee, never has it happened to me until my symptoms of low T wer apparent also unable to sleep in anymore only sleep 8 hours max!!! my diagnosis, no eating right and training to much!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #16
Bob Herald

Profile:

I've been having similar problems. Ive had sleep issues all my life. I was on an ssri abtidepressant to fix my issues. I fell asleep fast and slept good but was awake at 530 every morning. Since, I have gone off the ssri , but not its hit and miss. Some nights ill fall asleep fast and sleep 9 hours. Other nights I can't fall asleep because of all the chatter o
In my brain . I'll start to fall asleep then jolt and POP back awake with my heart racing. this will go on all night. I doubt I even go into REM sleep.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
Kent Newland

Profile:

This may catch a little flak, but in my opinion Tim Ferriss has some good ideas for how to get a good night's sleep in his book, The Four Hour Body.

For me, just taking a cold/cool shower and reading something before I go to bed helps significantly, but I also take this

http://www.amazon.com/Sundown-Natura..._sim_sbs_hpc_2 (WFS)

I think it helps me more than just taking melatonin alone.

Best of luck.

Kent
Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #18
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Is the Four Hour Body any good? I read the Four Hour Workweek and it was interesting. I don't agree with everything he said, but it was still interesting nonetheless. The Four Hour Body seems to have a little more far fetched ideas and I wasn't sure if it was any good.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Ted Toal

Profile:

I'm dealing with the same issues - even though I'll sleep eight hours straight I'll wake feeling like I haven't slept a wink. Very low motivation and energy during the day and very irritable. I'm having a sleep study tonight and am anxious to get the results. But, I do fear that if the results do not show sleep apnea something else may be wrong. Others have suggested low testosterome or even Lyme's disease. We'll see...
Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
Kent Newland

Profile:

I thought The Four Hour Body was pretty interesting. He presents some simplifications on some training principles, such as max effort days and interval training for runs. From what very little I know about nutrition and training, his dietary guidelines are manageable and not like the South Beach diet, or the Grapefruit Diet rehashed. Actually, they're quite sane, I think. The chapter on sex is interesting, of course. I haven't really gotten too much into everything else, but I'll probably go back through the stuff he covers on mobility when I get back to add to my repertoire.

I think the sleep stuff is definitely helpful. Even if I ignore it most of the time.

Kent