CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Josh W Smith

Profile:
Ankylosing Spondylitis

Last week I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spodylitis (AS). For those of you who do not know, it is essentially arthritis that effects your SI joints and spine. Anyway, I have been doing crossfit for over a year now. I self program highly influenced by CF football and The Outlaw Way. Exercise is great for AS, however my doc wants me to cut back on the weights some, and I agree. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some CF type programming that utilizes lighter weight loads. I know I can scale my current workouts, but when I do that I do not feel like I am getting an intense workout enough. I have always followed the short and heavy theory. Are longer lighter metcons really that bad? What can I work on now that I will not be working on max wheighted snatches? Gymnastics? My new goals are to drop 15 -20 lbs. this is to benefit my back before ou all jump down my throat. Also to increase my endurance which has always been a week point of mine. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Re: Ankylosing Spondylitis

What grade? I was diagnosed in 1994 with the same and lift as heavy as I want. CrossFit is the only thing that's made my back feel good. Plus I bought a reverse-hyper a couple years ago.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Jerry Blomberg

Profile:

I was diagnosed too, and in my discussions with my Doc, he never told me to lighten the loads, in fact he encouraged lifting. I emailed KStarr and his only reccommendation was always working on being in good position and mobility work. And investigate the correlation between what you eat and symptomolgy.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

Unless there is a direct correlation between loading and increased speed of degeneration I think what that others have said makes sense. Proper strength training can do wonders for a lot of degenerative joint conditions.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Make sure your nutrition is top notch.

Honestly, if working out is not aggravating it then it's likely good for it.

The best way to get more degeneration is to cease activity.

Make sure you THOROUGHLY warm up for everything though... at least 15-20 minutes with mobility work and whatnot.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Martin Bauer

Profile:

Hey Steven,

I was diagnosed with AS in 2006, when I was 16 years old. I would agree with the other, if it does not aggravate your pain/problems, then keep doing it.
For me heavier loads and fewer reps were always easier than a lot of reps (I had huge problems with Enthesitis at that time)
Actually AS was the reason I started to lift seriously as all doctors/... always said, that the stronger I would be the better I would fare with the disease.

Obviously you can't do that when it is really active, but I and quite a few others have/had phases were we feel quite alright and times when AS really makes your life pretty miserable.

Anyway, keep your head up, as said I was diagnosed in 2006, had big problems from 2005-2007, then good medication took care of it and now I've been pretty much pain-free for more than two years and don't take anything anymore (which is a pretty common course for the disease to take, it often ceases for several years and comes back later, especially if you are young)