CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
Re: Recovery, Blair Morrisons Article.

Ha I guess the sarcasm didn't bleed through. I definitely know heavy Oly lifts aren't 'active rest'. I was making a point that just being eccentric only doesn't make it restful. I would never do prowler pushes on a rest day either.

As far as the no sound, no TV I'm way ahead of you. I never listen to music in my car, my lunch and coffee breaks are always me sitting outside away from all music and noise and I frequently walk to quiet places in the evening; there's usually lots of them because everyones glued to their TV's. How people live with constant noise and busyness is beyond me, talk about overstimulation. I also will train without music once in a while, but usually someone else is in the gym. Now that it's summer Sundays are all about sitting on the beach and decompressing.

And Steven do you have any good resources on that? I've seriously googled deload weeks so many times and I never get anything that makes sense.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Yeah that 20 minutes has made a huge difference for me. Prowler pushes on the other hand on a rest day have worked well for me guess it just depends. I don't go over 10yds and I watch my heart rate.

Google gets your deload on by Jimmy Smith Elitefts. Off the top of my head thats one article I can think of.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Steven Low

Profile:

Jordan,

wfs
http://www.amazon.com/Periodization-.../dp/0880118407
Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I think it is interesting to see how other people train. I will also be interested to see if Rich keeps this pace of training much longer. Somewhere you will get fatigued and injured if you push that hard all the time. I seriously doubt that is what is really happening with his training.

A couple other things, he only started at Crossfit in 2009 so only been at it 3 years or so, and he is really young and in his athletic prime. Be interesting to see if he can carry that kind of training into his 30's and beyond. I know that I cannot handle the same workload training (physically) at 35 that I could at 25 or even 19-20. It makes a pretty large difference. You need to work smarter, not harder. Sounds like Blair has that figured out pretty well from what I can see.

I gues we will find out how dialed in he is this weeekend at Regionals. I know he has been working with James at OPT as well. Smart dudes working together, see how it goes I guess. Thanks for the link it was a great read.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Yeah I remember Mikko said he started taking actual planned rest days I think it was every 4 days sometimes every 2 but he didn't have actual "rest" days before 2009. And I do wish their training was a little more detailed.

I understand these days there is more money at stake and their training should be private I just wish we had more insight into what the top 5 are doing that was the original CrossFit mantra "best practices" and even if I knew Rich's exact training schedule and how and whys does not mean I would win or beat him just because I copied it.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
Chris Hunke

Profile:

Didn't work out so good for Blair this year =(
Old 05-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

He was doing fine until the snatch ladder. Something must have gone really wrong, b/c his snatch PR is 244lb and there's no good reason for him to have been in 21st.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Yes but I doubt that max was after a dose of heavy 1 arm snatches and 100 some odd squats prior to the attempt.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

By "prior" you mean the day before?

He can probably make a 215lb snatch in his sleep, which leads me to believe something went wrong for him on workout #5. He did fine in #6, so he probably wasn't injured.

I'm going to miss seeing him in the Games this year.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
By "prior" you mean the day before?

He can probably make a 215lb snatch in his sleep, which leads me to believe something went wrong for him on workout #5. He did fine in #6, so he probably wasn't injured.

I'm going to miss seeing him in the Games this year.
Ya I really will too. Been following and learning from his blog for years. It was the first CF blog I found and is the only one I still follow. His write ups are stellar. Although this last year he's posted more irregularly and details his training less which makes me sad. It also makes me sad that they seem to always ignore him in the behind the scenes videos. He's one of the few top athletes who doesn't have a bmi that's off the charts (read: is 6 feet and not 200lbs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
I seriously doubt that is what is really happening with his training.

Thanks for the link it was a great read.
This exactly. I was speculating with some people about it. I know Rich isn't going to be a liar and just do it all for the camera, but we figure they just filmed him at a specific stage in his training. I really can't believe someone keeping that up all year AND eating that little food. I workout once a day and have a decent amount of volume that I find challenges recovery once in a while, but even my one workout won't typically contain the type of volume even one of those workouts had. Ben Smith also posted a 'todays volume' thing on facebook. My guess is that the day in the life video of Rich and Ben Smiths post are really just psychological games to mess with people. I have no doubt they do what they say the do, I just don't think that's what everyday of their lives looks like. I watched that video of Rich and afterwards didn't find it inspiring at all; I basically just came to the mental conclusion that I will never make it to the games because my life will never look like that, nor do I want it to even if I had the chance. Obviously that's not true and there's plenty of top guys who train once a day, I just don't think it's as inspiring as everyone else says it is... I think it's kind of dumb and unnecessary.

A guy like Blair has always seemed more realistic and overall trains less than I do. Talk about extremes.

Also, your welcome.