CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #91
Robert Walsh

Profile:
Re: TRT experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
I think testostone and recovery is a fine balance. Too much cardio and met cons and you burn up your testosterone chips. Too little met cons and cardio and you gain fat, raising your estrogen and lowering your testosterone eventually. Keeping lean , gaining strength and optimizing your testosterone for a deficient male is a difficult battle.
This is my experience as well. Not that I have had my T levels checked by a doc but I'm damn sure I know when they are low.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #92
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walsh View Post
This is my experience as well. Not that I have had my T levels checked by a doc but I'm damn sure I know when they are low.
Yep, and I never really put together what was going on with me before. What's the difference between the 19 yo who can eat Doritos, looks ripped , and can train every day vs me?? Testosterone is the only answer
Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #93
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
Yep, and I never really put together what was going on with me before. What's the difference between the 19 yo who can eat Doritos, looks ripped , and can train every day vs me?? Testosterone is the only answer
I don't entirely agree with that statement.

It's not just Test. It's the entire hormonal profile. Youth is youth. We'll never get that back no matter how much test we take. The metabolism slows naturally with age. Test will not change that. I've found i've had to concentrate even more on eating properly now than ever. But my goals have changed as I now longer want to be big and strong. I simply want to be healthy/fit/ready for zombie apocolypse.

All the best,
Arden
Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #94
Bob Herald

Profile:

Very true Arden. I was overreaching with that statement
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #95
Charley Agen

Profile:

Bob how is everything going? I am going in for some more blood work on Wednesday to see if anything has changed. I have been feeling pretty decent about 3-4 days a week, but still pretty lousy 2-3 days a week, not as crappy as before though We'll see what the tests show.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #96
Michael Dowling

Profile:

I don't bemoan Bob for getting his test issues worked out if he had a legitimate health concern. But I hope that this thread doesn't have a bunch of otherwise healthy dudes aging naturally running to their doctors to get steroid boosts. NOTHING is free, there is always a price for everything.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #97
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
I don't bemoan Bob for getting his test issues worked out if he had a legitimate health concern. But I hope that this thread doesn't have a bunch of otherwise healthy dudes aging naturally running to their doctors to get steroid boosts. NOTHING is free, there is always a price for everything.
Duh.. steroids cost money

In all serious though, I'd only look at visiting a urologist or endocrinologist if one thought they needed help.

Your local doc (my wife is a family doc) isn't the best place to go most the time for this kind of stuff. Depending on them you might get what you need and even what you don't.

Hard work, clean eating can account for a lot. For the few others, Test can help...

Got a friend who took test for years in his youth who now produces nothing almost on his own as he is 40+. He would greatly prefer having not taken it in his youth to having to take it now...
Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #98
Paul Kemp

Profile:

Hey, thanks for the read!

I have started my own thread in heath issues about my experience with something similar(?)

I really appreciate you guys continuing to contribute to this thread- far too many of these end suddenly, leaving you wondering what exactly happened to the authors!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #99
Bob Herald

Profile:

Hey guys, I'm still here.

Charley, let me know what happens..!

Michael and Shawn, I didn't create this thread to endorse TRT in any way, I did it for advice and insight from others that may be on it. Sure it has it's drawbacks, none of which I have see yet, but steady monitoring helps.

Okay guys, I'm 7 weeks in. Just had my third shot 1 week ago. I go for blood work today, to get my test levels checked again.

I just had a full physical the other day, and I was told I'm a specimen of health LOL. Blood pressure was 104/62. Liver enzymes were perfect. Cholesterol was a 136 total. LDL was in the 70's , HDL was in the 50's. They didn't mention it , but my nitrogen level and creatinine level were slightly elevated due to my high protein diet. But everything else like hemocrit and blood cell counts were normal.

I feel good. I'm sleeping well, sex drive has tapered off to an average level. And mood is good. I think my body has adjusted to the higher levels of testosterone. My testicles may be a tiny bit smaller, but not noticeably . I didn't do this for aesthetics, but my neck, shoulders and chest are noticeably thicker. my weight is usually between 205-210. There little , if any water retention. I've had no testicular pain or nipple sensitivity.

I feel like I recover from my workouts as I should. For a guy that eats clean, doesn't drink, and doesn't overtrain, it would take me 4 days to recover From one workout before. Now it takes me one or two days. Which is a little more normal.

I haven't had any acne, hair loss, or violent "Ben afleck" mood swings . Lol.

I'll keep you posted on what the blood work says today.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #100
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Bob

No worries about me. I think trt is useful and helpful for those who need. In no way do I think it's a bad thing again for those who need.

We have a few older guys in the gym who do it, and a 67 year old at church who does it. Their life has improved greatly for them since being on it. No major or noticeable side effects, just better over all health.

I just like to be a proponent of getting their test and advice from a dr who specializes in that area vs a normal family doc who may not have much experience in it.

Glad to hear things are going well for ya!