CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Vincent Yacuzzi Jr

Profile:
Snatch Critique Please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-4DY...DK7APNys8kw%3D WFS

Have been doing crossfit since oct. 2011 and my goal for 2012 is to get my technique down for the oly lifts. Please any and all comments and help is needed/appreciated!

Thanks

Vinny
Old 04-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Jay Mulder

Profile:
Re: Snatch Critique Please

Sick beater bro
Old 04-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Robert Ramos

Profile:

the bar is swinging away from you. you want it to be as straight up as possible..pull slow, reach the pockets and go str8 up. i think its light enough for you to get away with how your doing it now but your gonna run into problems real quick if you keep snatching like that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0PITbWa0eU
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

as Robert said, the bar is WAY in front of you. Pause the video at 17 seconds and you'll see what I mean. Try practicing the Burgener warm-up to learn and implement good snatch technique - elbows high and outside (to get the bar to turn over fast), bar close to body through the whole movement, pull yourself under the bar, etc.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
Vincent Yacuzzi Jr

Profile:

Thanks for the replies so far. Worked on the pulls today and what my coach told me was exactly what both of you have said. I also see my arms fly way too far back and im pretty sure arms are in a compromised position at the bottom, and im assuming this is to due lack of flexibility. Should I also start to hold the squat position at the bottom and work on keeping elbows forward and locked?

Also I do now have a few of the burenger videos saved to my phone so im hoping to just implant those techniques into my head after repeated viewings.

Thanks

Vinny
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Good lift. And, as someone else mentioned, awesome shirt.

I think the issue with the bar looping forward is with your first pull - barbell on ground until such time as the knees begin to scoop under the bar.

I have the same problem. I have to remind myself to push the bar back against my legs and engage my lats to keep my shoulders and head forward.

Some might say you have your hips a tad low. But I personally think that's personal preference. Plenty of good examples of top level lifters that start from all sorts of positions.

The real key is to, as others have mentioned, pull the bar with it angling in toward your body during the first pull. As you scoop the bar, to begin the second pull, the bar stays tight to the body. As the bar meets the crease in your hip or your illium or crotch line, there is a slight bump/brush which may cause the bar trajectory to move slightly forward. But this bump/brush should still have the bar in line with the starting position if you have kept the bar in tight to your body during the first and second pulls.

Keep up the good work.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
John Kaupp

Profile:

Vinny,
the main problem with your snatch in addition to the looping of the bar away is the lack of finish for the second pull. Your hips and knees never fully extend. At the finish of your second pull, your shoulders should be behind your hips to allow the bar to come as close to the body on the way overhead.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

I second all of Arden's comments. plus you initiate your second pull way to early, which is what causes your swinging the bar out in front.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Eric Trent Miller

Profile:

you did a great job of keeping the bar close to your body on the first pull, so keep doing that. There is a point right when the bar leaves the ground that your backward pressure is noticeably effective. I'll bet you tagged your knees pretty good, right? (see other comments for why).

But, yeah...2nd pull needs work. You are meeting the bar about halfway up the thighs, and hips don't even get close to extension.

Throw some bumper plates on that bar and watch Glenn's vids, and get that pocket/bar/extension proprioception drilled into your head at slow/lighter weights and then move up.

technique first (slow)
then tempo of the lift
then faster
then add weight