CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #61
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: New Deadlift PR at 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Sorrentino View Post
Belts do not help strengthen your core. They prevent you from building core strength. Always using a belt when you go heavy will build a dependency on it. I stopped using a belt 4 years ago and have had no back problems, and can still pull just as much weight
Then why are my abs always screaming after I wear a belt for a heavy set of deadlifts or squats or front squats?

As has been discussed over and over, a belt doesn't do any work for you. It simply reduces thoracic volume and gives your abs something to brace against.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #62
Brian Blaston

Profile:

Late to the game - but agree that the rounding in the video needs to be worked on.

you're a super strong guy, but trust me from experience a low back injury is brutal...and never completely goes away.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #63
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

I haven't been around much the past few years, and a lot of what was written about this 525 pull has already been addressed. My only thought on watching this near max effort pull was - don't drop the weight. Otherwise, it was a near max effort lift that showed flaws that everyone exhibits at or near max effort lifts. Rounding back and a tendency to hitch.

My guess is if we took 50 pounds off the bar, he would not round as much as he did with this weight.

Same for Eric's pulls from blocks. Sound form in my mind.

All the best pullers on the planet round a bit on near max effort pulls - Benni, Andy Bolton, Konstanov (sp) - at least the ones that pull conventional. But none of them drop the weight once they lock it out.

And, well done Sean. Keep up the awesome work!

All the best,
Arden
Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #64
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
I haven't been around much the past few years, and a lot of what was written about this 525 pull has already been addressed. My only thought on watching this near max effort pull was - don't drop the weight. Otherwise, it was a near max effort lift that showed flaws that everyone exhibits at or near max effort lifts. Rounding back and a tendency to hitch.

My guess is if we took 50 pounds off the bar, he would not round as much as he did with this weight.

Same for Eric's pulls from blocks. Sound form in my mind.

All the best pullers on the planet round a bit on near max effort pulls - Benni, Andy Bolton, Konstanov (sp) - at least the ones that pull conventional. But none of them drop the weight once they lock it out.

And, well done Sean. Keep up the awesome work!

All the best,
Arden
I respectfully disagree. There is HUGE difference between thoracic rounding and lumbar rounding. I can guarantee you that the best deadlift era DO NOT have lower back rounding on their heavy lifts...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #65
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
I respectfully disagree. There is HUGE difference between thoracic rounding and lumbar rounding. I can guarantee you that the best deadlift era DO NOT have lower back rounding on their heavy lifts...
May need to watch the young fella's vid again. It wasn't pretty - but it wasn't overly cat in litter box like. No one's lifts at near max effort are. Save perhaps Andy Bolton. But he only pulls over 9 in competitions. He never goes over 8, from the floor, in training. Everything from the pins. There's a reason for that in my mind and longevity is one of them. If this young fella doesn't lighten up and tighten up, longevity will not be an issue for him? Only time will truly tell.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #66
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
May need to watch the young fella's vid again. It wasn't pretty - but it wasn't overly cat in litter box like. No one's lifts at near max effort are. Save perhaps Andy Bolton. But he only pulls over 9 in competitions. He never goes over 8, from the floor, in training. Everything from the pins. There's a reason for that in my mind and longevity is one of them. If this young fella doesn't lighten up and tighten up, longevity will not be an issue for him? Only time will truly tell.

All the best,
Arden
I went back and watched it again. He does have a some good rounding below the thorasic spine. I then immediately watched this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYt7H-pzEe4

As Konstantin rounds pretty good too. And what he's pulling in these vids is unworldly. I'm guessing that rack/platform pull was close to a 1000 because the greens are 50kg plates. The fact that he can do that without straps for a triple is .......

The young fella who posted the vid at the very beginning has no where near the thickness as Konstanin. Maybe a 10 or 12 year old Konstanin. So he really needs to concentrate more on "chest out, feet through the floor."

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #67
Eric Trent Miller

Profile:

I don't understand why the thread starter would post a video, say "input would be great" and then respond to negatively to the input when provided.

I mean, I'm a rank beginner and man...that back was ROUND. The guys here many of whom can DL more than that are telling you the back is ROUND.

round back
little dude (no girth)
525 lbs

dude.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #68
Dylan Glickman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Trent Miller View Post
I don't understand why the thread starter would post a video, say "input would be great" and then respond to negatively to the input when provided.

I mean, I'm a rank beginner and man...that back was ROUND. The guys here many of whom can DL more than that are telling you the back is ROUND.

round back
little dude (no girth)
525 lbs

dude.

i appreciate the input from everyone that has responded. I have heard everyone, and will listen to some. Ive never got injured or had any set back training the way i train, my form is not perfect on a max effort lift and thats alright in my opinion. Can it be cleaned up a little bit, absolutely

go buckeyes
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #69
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Yep. It's called digital coaching, not digital compliments. If you want to be congratulated, show the video to your girlfriend.

If you want to celebrate a PR and don't need / want advice, just say so. Others have done exactly that on here.

But if you post something with bad form, you are going to get advice and the posters will correctly assume you want it.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #70
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Glickman View Post
i appreciate the input from everyone that has responded. I have heard everyone, and will listen to some. Ive never got injured or had any set back training the way i train, my form is not perfect on a max effort lift and thats alright in my opinion. Can it be cleaned up a little bit, absolutely

go buckeyes
Actually, good for you. If the goal is continual progress, it is best to err to experience.

Good luck and go heavy.

All the best,
Arden