CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #31
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Re: The Ultimate Recovery Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
After a heavy training session say Back Squats then a metcon should we ice our joints?
I think this becomes essential as you get into your late 30s and early 40s. Then absolutely necessary as you advance beyond that.

I listen to my body on that front. If a joint is achy after a session, it gets ice. If a muscle or attachment is achy, it gets the roller, the rumber roller, then the lacrosse ball in that order.

Sometimes when I have a muscle strain or very fatigued muscle, I will use an EMS unit with ice. This is something I learned after I had my knee scoped last winter. During my rehab, after each session, the therapist would put the stimulators on my knee and put ice on it. And it was compressed or weighted ice packs.

The idea was to reduce swelling, if there was swelling, but have continued stimulus or blood flow caused by the EMS.

I've done this on just about every twinge/tweak/strain I've had since learning this procedure and it works wonders and I don't miss training sessions anymore. And I'll be 42 soon.

All the best,
Arden
Old 02-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
The Stick

Opinions? Useful tool for tissue health?
I have only found the stick useful for two areas
1) the forearms - tennis elbow
2) the hip flexors - sore

I say this because the foam rollers can hit just about everything else. But you can use the stick as a pivot point in a corner or a wall and really get some weight on your opposite forearm if you've got some minor tendonitis going on.

It also works very well for the hip flexors as you can apply good weight on it with both hands. The foam roller does give you that vantage point. Plus, it feels better than using a lacrosse ball on your hip flexors (ouch).

All the best,
Arden
Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #33
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Fischbein View Post
This question came up at a movement seminar for endurance athletes this weekend...I thought it relevant here:

When should you self-massage or use rolling tools?

My take: Pre-activity as warm-up, post-activity as recovery, anytime you are sore/tight. Timing and rolling tools/methods vary by personal preference but consistency matters. The more regularly you do it, the happier your tissues will be, the better performance you can expect from them. The result: Better force production, muscular endurance, resistance to injury. Bottom line: Don't wait until you are injured to care for yourself!

What's your take on self-massage or rolling for recovery? When, why, and how do you do it?
I foam roll before every training session and prior to my daily yoga sessions. I also keep a PVC pipe and a Lacrosse Ball in my office. I also keep a Lacrosse Ball in my truck.

Please understand I'm not young - I'm 41 now, soon to be 42. But I have nearly 30 years in strength training and have competed in Powerlifting, OLY WL, strongman, and Timbersports. I still compete in Timbersports and will likely get back on the platform in OLY if my daughters show some interest.

My personal take on SMR - Self Myofascial Release - is that it's good for relaxing the fascia. With that said, I believe it can be used as both a warm up and a recovery tool.

How do I do it? Oh dear lord. I start with a roller and begin on my butt. I slide down it and do my upper back, going from side to side for several minutes. Everyone should find some "gravel" in their shoulders blades. Then I transition down to my lower back doing the same sort of size to side movents. Then I sit on the roller and do my hips, psoas, and glutes (all posterior chain). Then I do my left IT band. Then I do my left hip flexor. Then I do my right IT band. Then my right hip flexor. Then I sit on my butt and roll my calves (this brought tears to my eyes the first time I did it). Then I do my triceps and biceps on each arm. Then I grab a lacross ball and hit my "hot spots" in my arm pits (lat,tri,delt tie ins) and my hip flexors.

After that, I do a bagua followed by a yoga routine that's geared to improve my overall hip and shoulder mobility.

Then if I'm lifting, I lift. If I'm doing my wonderful met-con sport training, I event train.

Hope that helps?

All the best,
Arden
Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
Albert Hoenigmann

Profile:

Quote:
The Stick

Opinions? Useful tool for tissue health?
I have the longer hard "the stick" This one is great for my lower back. Sometimes a foam roller requires activating the lower back muscles because of positioning taken with the foam roller. This activation does'nt let the foam roller get in and do its job and sometimes adjusting vertebrae. I noticed the large stick is good to roll out the lower back with just enough pressure to hit muscle only. It also lets you roll out the low back muscles while they are in flexion vs extension (like the foam roller does).

I reallly like my stick because I can hit more areas with it than the foam roller. If I had to choose one over the other I'd probably choose the stick.