CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Stephen Eugene Williams

Profile:
My 13.1 run and CF

In 2010 I ran the Huntington Beach ˝ Marathon in preparation for the CA IM 70.3. I was following the Beginner Triathlete Beginner ˝ IM plan. Prior to that I had done a few shorter triathlons and running events. I came to triathlon because I wanted to be a fit person and training in three sports must mean you’re fit, right. I ran the HB 13.1 in 1:57:25 with 3 mile split of 0:27:36 and a 8.2 mile split of 1:14:12.

I was introduced to Crossfit in the fall of 2010 and I thought it would be worth a shot for my off season training. After CFing for about 2 months, I found my general fitness was much better than it ever was even at the peak of my tri training. I decided due to the demands of my job the general physical preparedness was what I needed plus I really liked the fact most workouts are less than 30min.

Fast forward a year, I still CF and also do CE swim and run workouts just to maintain those modalities. I was asked by a friend to sign up for a 13.1 with her so she would not have any excuse to back out. I decided to treat the race as an experiment. I decided not to train for the race and test CF claim that they train you for any physical demanding situation. Leading up to the race, I have not run farther than 3 miles at one time. I only did CF workouts and some CF endurance interval workouts. Today, I ran the HB 13.1 in 1:59:05 with a 3 mile split of 0:27:48 and a 8.2 mile split of 1:14:15. I was shocked, I have not run farther than 3 miles since summer of 2010. CF prepared me to run 13.1 with less than a 2min difference of run specific training.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: My 13.1 run and CF

First, congrats on your half marathons. Now for the bad news.

In my opinion I don't see your latest accomplishment as a testament to CrossFit. Here is why.

You have been training for a year since your last half in what is primarily a metabolic conditioning program and you did worse. A half is not so far that you need a tremendous amount of running to complete it in 2 hours anyway.

Perhaps if you had included some other accomplishments to go along with your 1/2 time it would make more sense. Such as I also added 100 lbs. On my squat or did a triple bodyweight Deadlift. What I'm saying is there needs to be some context towards what you deem as a success other than I didn't run as much as I did a year ago and my time didn't get a lot worse.

Hopefully that makes sense without taking away from your accomplishments. Again congrats but what did you get better at while getting worse at running?