CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #21
David Steckler

Profile:
Re: A short, middle-aged, jewish man walks up to the Marines' recruiting table...

I was just looking at their website and among the scrolling pics on the home page was a Marine doing the ammo can press and another doing a Farmer's Carry w/2 ammo cans. Functional
Old 12-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #22
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Re: A short, middle-aged, jewish man walks up to the Marines' recruiting table...

Sounds similar to the Austere Crossfit program the PPCLI (Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) were working on at Infantry school.

We have ammo cans in the crossfit corner here on base, and different weight sand bags.

Always love seeing more functional stuff for military PT, instead of just plain ol run, ruck, push-ups repeat.

David, aaaah Navy gotcha, as a civ contractor though how does that work there, did you have to have previous time in or something? Used to be RCN here, used to be all over actually, now new ball game.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
David Steckler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Sounds similar to the Austere Crossfit program the PPCLI (Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) were working on at Infantry school.

We have ammo cans in the crossfit corner here on base, and different weight sand bags.

Always love seeing more functional stuff for military PT, instead of just plain ol run, ruck, push-ups repeat.

David, aaaah Navy gotcha, as a civ contractor though how does that work there, did you have to have previous time in or something? Used to be RCN here, used to be all over actually, now new ball game.
I think you misunderstand: it's not a program, the pull-up bar and ammo can were just there as a way for the Marines to generate interest in their table (and maybe sign up "a few good men".) Anyone could walk up and try the pulls or presses.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #24
Erik Glynn

Profile:

The pullups are our pride, most Marines can crank out 20 strict pull ups. It's a great recruiting tool to challenge people to a pull up contest. (Obviously, this thread proves that)

Our physical fitness tests (PFT) consist of a 3-mile run, crunches, and pullups.

Then we have a more applicable fitness test called the CFT (combat fitness test) which consists of: .5 mile sprint, AMRAP 2 of 30# ammo can press, and a maneuver under fire

PFT= old school fitness
CFT= more functional, relevant to fighting, and fun
Old 01-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #25
Alden Hingle

Profile:

I apparently got off easy. I only needed to do 5 dead hang pull-ups to get a USMC lanyard at the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque this year at the Marine Recruiting booth. I laughed and said, "I can handle that." I knocked off 16 before my form started to deteriorate and I dropped off the bar. Been wearing the lanyard since......
Alden
USMC, Ret. (1976-1997)