CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Jake Edwards

Profile:
Just starting, when did you all see improvements?

Hello. I'm relatively new to crossfit, and I'm excited about it. I'm curious, for those of you who are experienced crossfitters, when did you first begin to see imrovements in your times, strength, and/or physique(sp?) ? Was it almost instantaneous or more of a gradual process of improving times and personal records?

-thanks.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Michael McLellan

Profile:
Re: Just starting, when did you all see improvements?

I too am very new to Crossfit. After only one month I have improved my Cindy from 11 rounds to 17 rounds. I have moved a lot more weight around than I ever thought possible and felt a lot of strength gains (as yet mostly untested until I repeat some of the heavy lifting WODs).

My first couple weeks I struggled to just complete the WODs. After that when I started doing the Brand X scaled WODs I felt I could really kick up the intensity and started feeling great. It's amazing how fast you can get into the swing of things and start experiencing gains with Crossfit.

From here I know the only place to go is up. Now will I experience huge gains forever? Surely not, but some of the guys and gals that have been here longer can fill you in on what it's like after being here months and years.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Remington Jones

Profile:

I have been CFing for about 2 months. My weight has stayed about the same. I have to buy new shirts though. My shoulders and back have gotten larger and more defined, too big for my shirts!. My stomach looks better too. My 10k went from 50.15 to 48.20. My 1.5mile run went from 11.00 to 10.32. My shoulder press went from 125# to 145#. Squat235# to 265# (my squat sucks broken leg)
Deadlift... well I had never done a max deadlift before today but today it was 325#

I am doing this all on my own so I'm sure if pushed I could of improved more. Plus I have no spotters so I can't push too hard. I worked out before I started CF, and I ran all the time. So to see the run times improve like that was pretty surprising.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Nick Repertorio

Profile:

Jake,
I had messed around with CrossFit on and off for some time, but when I decided to dedicate myself to the WODs and most importantly, the Zone diet, I saw gains I could not believe. Heavier weights, faster WOD times, more pullups, etc. and all of this was within my first month...

If you want to see incredible gains with CrossFit, do the Zone and you will be amazed at your improvement in your times, strength, and your overall body composition.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I'm just starting as well. I've begun to dial in my nutrition so that should help.

My mistake was my first two weeks I tried to do the WoDs as prescribed. I couldn't keep up, couldn't do them as fast as you're supposed to and generally couldn't finish a lot of them. I realized that I wasn't helping myself by trying to run before I walked.
So now I'm starting to do the BrandX ones (starting way down at buttercup!) and that's making a difference. I don't know when I'll move up, I'm sure when I just breeze through the BrandX's.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Carrie Russo

Profile:

I'm not an experienced crossfitter, I've been doing it for 4 weeks though. For the first 3 weeks I only worked out 3x's a week but by week 3 I was definitely ready for more.

On my first day I couldn't even do 10 situps. Last week I did 90 total. I've moved up one band assist on pull ups and I can run a 5k now whereas before 2k-3k was my max.

I'm also starting to see my waistline shrink a little bit but I am breastfeeding my newborn exclusively so I have to take the weightloss slowly, no more than a pound a week. I don't have a scale so I don't know my weight.

But, I would think you should see results within the second week as far as your strength, endurance increasing.

HTH
Old 01-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

And then there are those days where you can't even make it through a BrandX buttercup workout. Like with today's WoD. After round 4 I couldn't go on. I did however drive myself to the point of puking and nearly passing out!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Jake:
Over the course of the first 4-6 weeks it was obvious that I was getting stronger and more fit in every sense. I dove in with the Zone on day one, but managed my own scaling as I am a lifelong athlete and really have a sense of my own body.

Nah, actually I never found Brand X and had to learn it on my own

Stick with it and let the gains come. Measure by clothing size and the mirror and not necessarily the scale.

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt.

--bingo
Old 01-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Everybody is different, so the answers are really no way to judge what is going to happen to you. Just do it for 30 days, if you don't see results do something else.

Welcome to CF.

P.S. If you don't see results in 30 days I'll eat my shorts.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
Allen Russell

Profile:

I have only been doing the Crossfit thing for 2 weeks and I can see results already. Especially in my pullups. I am hooked, it is a great program.