CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:
Re: Kipping Pullups

Hope it helps. As my Dr buddy tells me, "if it does not hurt a little (with the lacrosse ball), you have not found the right spot yet"
Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Weighted pullups can be hard on the elbow. Build up slowly vs just going hard every once in awhile like CF tends to prescribe.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Instead of saying 100% someone is ready I look for reasons they are not ready.

1) History of shoulder injury

2) Current pain after activities involving shoulder movement.

3) Inability to do PVC pipe pass throughs both directions with a correct snatch grip, hands tight on the pipe and elbows locked the whole time.

4) Generally low upper body strength levels, particularly in women.

5) The combination of high body fat / low muscle mass. This person will require a huge kip to over come the extra weight and is driving that energy through the shoulder that is not protected/supported by the surrounding muscles.

You have to evaluate each situation independently. I have an ex-power lifter who has very tight shoulders but is going to be doing muscle ups in no time because he has so much strength. He is eating Paleo, his weight is dropping into place quickly and his shoulders are well developed and strong. I consider him low risk even though he needs to continue to work on his flexibility.

I have an ex professional rugby player with multiple shoulder injuries and surgeries who may never be able to kip safely. With his history kipping pull-ups are the least of my concerns.
Mark of a good coach. Regardless of certifications... I think everyone should have some level of education beyond their level 1 to open an affiliate. Helps a lot with keeping a great reputation.

I don't see enough coaches stopping poor form or modifying a workout for someone mid-wod to ensure a safe GOOD workout. Or talking to athletes on a monthly basis for example and asking them if they have aches/pains, and bringing in some supplemental exercises focusing on that area or avoiding the area.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
Bennett Stiller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Instead of saying 100% someone is ready I look for reasons they are not ready.
Based on this and what is posted in this thread, I may be better off sticking with strict pull ups. I'm new to Cross Fit, so reading what others have already found to work helps.

My problem is a physical limitation (missing fingers) and not a shoulder injury. I posted more details here: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=85432
Old 02-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #15
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Allow me to borrow this thread as I have a quick question not worth opening a new one.

When doing strict pullups what is the best width that will carry over to exercises like muscle ups, kipping/butterfly pullups, etc?

I think something wider than shoulder width, but how wide, just outside of them, like for OHP?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #16
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Most people will butterfly and CTB with a slightly wider grip so their hands are outside of their pecs in front of their armpits. It's just what needs to be done to go CTB.

Ring MU would typically be narrow unless you have progressed to wide arm MU. Bar MU should be just outside of your hips so you can clear through your hands on the bar.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #17
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:

David,

First do some kipping ring rows to make sure that feels okay. Then if you're good, go back to the bar and flip the hands in a reverse grip (chin-up) and use a band. Then progress your way back to no band.

Flipping the hands forces the shoulder into a stable position. It will probably feel pretty tight, and that means you need to do some of the mobility stuff mentioned.

Don't be so quick to give up on kipping.

Dare,

For muscle ups, a chest to bar with narrow(ish) grip or hips to bar will help translate to muscle-up
Old 03-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #18
Kristopher Shifler

Profile:

Ironic that I came into the Exercise forum to post a note about kipping pull ups and this thread was at the top. I'll just add my comments here.

I've always done strict PUs because I didn't have a bar I could kip on. My max set of strict PU is 22. I recently got a pull up rig for my garage so I tried kipping this week. On Tues. CFFB prescribed 100 PU in the fewest amount of sets possible. I kipped the whole time, got 100 in 8 sets, no set less than 10. Not a remarkable score by any means.

But yesterday and today (Thur, Fri) my biceps and lats are more sore than I can remember them being in a long time. I've followed CFFB for a year and PUs are prescribed regularly, so it's not that I've neglected PUs.

My point is that this proved to me that kipping undoubtedly provides a different stimulus than strict PUs even beyond the METCON aspect of kipping. I'll continue to do strict PUs when prescribed, but I will also mix in kipping when it's allowed. I don't have shoulder issues and I'm a relatively light-weight guy. Kipping didn't cause me any shoulder pain during or after the workout.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #19
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Well kipping does add momentum to the movement so you end pulling more total force.

I would figure that a standard kip of arch>hollow probably adds .5-1xBW.

Frog kip probably adds like .25-.5xBW

and BFK might add 1.5x to maybe even 2xBW. 2xBW sounds like a stretch to me though.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #20
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Clicked on this thread without even knowing I had posted to it over a year ago!

Follow up - all that strict and weighted strict work ended with golfer's elbow. Some legless rope climbs finished it off. Took months of graston work to straighten that mess out!

I am back to doing both kipping and strict. Our gym stresses a lot of strict work and proper hollow body form. Last night was 7 min EMOM of strict CTB pull ups. Goal is 50. Managed that with 1 second to spare. Had to mix grip and go to singles every 10 seconds or so. First couple minutes I was doing small chunks of 2-4 reps but those went away.

Anyway, I am going back to some basics on cleaning up my kip swing, ESPECIALLY with CTB as I tend to rely too much on my pull and don't kip efficiently. This goes for the rings too.