CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Ryan Lynch

Profile:
Anabolic Diet - My Progress

I started the Anabolic Diet last week and I'll be posting my weekly progress for a month or two for anyone interested.

My previous diet was close enough to it (less than 100g of carbs a day) I decided to make the switch. The basic premise of the diet is to optimize naturally the anabolic hormones for fat loss and muscle mass increase. You want the details of the how and why it works, buy the book. The basic diet is a 12 day indoc period where you convert to a fat burning metabolism. You do this by eating less then 30g of carbs a day. After the 12 day conversion, you then start a 36-48 carb load period then switch back. So after the indoc period, it's 5 days on a strict diet of high fat (60%) and protein (40%) and virtually no carbs (less than 30g a day) followed by a carb load period of 36-48 hours where your muscles get infused with glycogen for the coming week. This has the effect of maximizing insulin, testosterone and GH all at the same time for several days. Again, read the book for the theory and science, I doubt I could explain it satisfactory.

So week one of the indoc period has gone well. Felt a little sick this first week, mostly headaches but they are subsiding. Energy level is up a little, but workouts have suffered. I'm targeting 2400 cal a day as I'm focusing on weight loss, but have found that pretty hard to get while on the road (travel a lot for my job), and not being able to eat 5-6 times a day. No trouble finding food though. I'm thinking the weakness and headaches may have been from not getting enough calories nor enough water. I usually drink a gallon plus a day and got less than half of that this week. Feeling dehydrated a little, lips feel dry anyway. I did lose just shy of 5 lbs this week, but I suspect most of that is water weight. Now that I'm home, I can get back a gallon plus a day so we'll see what I weigh over the next few days after being able to fully hydrate.

We'll see how this next week goes...this is the tough one from what I hear...

-Ryan
m:36:6'4":275lb:30+% bf
Old 08-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Zac Jereb

Profile:
Re: Anabolic Diet - My Progress

Thanks for the report. I, for one, am very interested in this...
Old 08-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Are you following the standard 3/1 schedule of main page programming?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

I'm attempting to do the 5/2 split. From what I understand, the carb load days can pretty much put you in a food coma most of the day, so until I have a few weekends under my belt to see how I'm affected, I'm going to do the 5/2 split so I can just take the weekends off. We'll see how it goes though, if the weekends prove functional, I may go back to the 3/1.

-Ryan
Old 08-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Interesting. Keep in mind that crossfit tends to be more heavily reliant upon glycolytic work... so by the end of the week prior to your carb load you'll be pretty depleted.

a 3/1 carb load coinciding with CF rest days may work well...

Just something to keep in mind later on as you get more experience with the diet.

I've actually done the AD and enjoyed the aesthetic results, but would probably do it again with more of a strength based model of programming with smaller amounts of metcon and other glycolytic work.

Thanks for the updates and progress reports.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Towards the end of the second week the feelings of sickness should completely subside.

I can't wait to read what you write after your first carb day.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Haha, I agree Charles. The first carb day is often an experience like no other.

Ryan,
You have, what? 5 more induction days?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Close...Saturday morning, and it's PANCAKES!!!!

Funny, that's the only thing I'm craving...not the syrup, just buttermilk pancakes...

-Ryan
Old 08-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
Rick Frazier

Profile:

Ryan,

Good deal on trying the AD. I've been following it since the beginning of the year and posted my 6 month results on our blog here: http://www.crossfitclarksville.com/2...-crossfit.html I'll keep an eye out for your updates on here. What made you decide to try AD verses Zone?

Derek, you said you've followed but don't anymore. Was there a particular reason you stopped?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Rick,
I stopped basically based on programming. Even after the induction phase, I was doing a lot of glycolytic work and just couldn't hack it. I felt like death often and actually regressed on my Filthy Fifty and Fran.

Overall I think it's good, though i would go with a midweek carb up, I think more in line with Natural Hormonal Enhancement... or a 3/1 carb load coinciding with rest days. I currently am following a MEBB variant on a 3/1/2/1 schedule and am considering a similar dietary approach.