CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-26-2005, 03:35 AM   #1
Don Stevenson

Profile:
After reading lots of Dan Johns stuff and getting into weightlifting in a serious way I was poking around to see if there are any highland games in my area.

Anyway it turns out that there is a big Scottish Festival on next year that has several appealing aspects.

1. It's on my birthday (april 8th) and I can't think of a better thing for a crossfitter to do on their birthday than lift and chuck heavy stuff.

2. It's about 10 minutes drive from my Dad's new farm so i'll have a place to stay for the weekend.

3. I'm half Scottish and i'd like to have a go at this stuff

4. My girlfriend wants to see me in a kilt:blush:

I'm not planning on becoming a serious thrower but i'd like to at least try the events before i go down and if possible do a few practice sessions.

Does anyone know any good resources for learning the events? I tried the Nasgaweb forum but haven't been able to sign up or post anything.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
paul arestan

Profile:

Isn't it somewhere south of Bowral, in the Southern Highlands?
I may go and have a look if it is around Filex time.
Michael Sidonio, the ANU gym manager, used to compete in strong men comps and I am pretty sure he's been to the Scottish festival.
You can always try to contact him (sport@anu.edu.au) if he still works there (he's moving to QLD soon). Mention my name (and my French accent); I used to work there and he should remember me.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Tom Gilbert

Profile:

The absolute best resource for learning how to throw is to put something in your hands and throw it. At the minimum, find some stones, and if you have to, use an old tire. You can read about it, watch video, discuss it, but none of that will make you a thrower
Old 12-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #4
Doug Ralston

Profile:
Don,
As an ex-pat, let me offer this link http://www.saaa-net.org/links.html. It should give you enough info to get started.

Good luck,
Doug
Old 12-30-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Gregory Beesch

Profile:  
Don,
Best place to go is http://www.nasgaweb.com/getstart.asp. The message board there is great, if there is a group in your area that throws you can find them there.

I've thrown for about 6 years and crossfit is a great compliment, though, as Doug points out, there is no substitute for throwing. Thankfully fabrication of HG implements is pretty simple and inexpensive, the weight for distance and weight for height being relatively interchangable and a practice hammer is as easily made as getting some flanged pvc and some old iron weights. And stones, well, you can find those all over, a caber on the other hand is a wee bit harder to find.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Thanks for the links guys.

At the moment i've got a couple of stones to practice throwing and i can use a 53lb kettlebell to practice the weight for height and distance until i can get a proper weight on a chain set up. The caber might be more troublesome but i'm sure i'll figure something out.

I realise that the best way to learn is to get out and throw but i'm sure there is a lot of technique stuff that could save me a lot of time!

Old 01-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
Gregory Beesch

Profile:  
Right ho! Go here http://www.vp-prod.com/and there are a few free video clips of technique. At least enough to get you by for now.