CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
Evan Cauble-Johnson

Profile:
Is anyone doing Crossfit in Chicago at a facility? I'm not sure where I can go to start learning the gymnastics moves and ringwork.

There's a crossfitchicago.com site, but it has no information yet.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
Hi Evan, there are many of us doing Crossfit workouts in chicago. I train at CFC (chicago fitness center) working on getting certified in October this year. There will be others posting here pretty soon that are either 1) Certified already, 2) working on being certified and 3) Want to get together for a group workout SOON!!!

:-)

Old 06-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Evan,

We have plans to go into the Chicago market and are searching for properties in the Lincolin Park area.

Essentially it similar to our location in Ann Arbor.

It could be as soon as September and as late as never. A lot will depend on the "right" location. I imagine it will end up being better as a second generation locations. (Lessons learned and such)

Doug
Old 06-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
Doug, the Lincoln park area is over saturated with clubs. You have zoning issues, I know I used to work in that area. In a 4 block radius specifically you have an average of 4 clubs and NO parking.

Zone parking on side streets, night game restrictions, and such. Get in touch with Tom Tunney, Alderman for that area and tell him I sent you. Great guy, and knows that area really well and where you can get a good slot.

Gio
Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Evan Cauble-Johnson

Profile:
Glad to hear that you guys are planning on setting up a Chicago location. I have a background doing weight lifting, running, etc., but the gymnastic moves are all new to me, and I don't really have a good location to learn them at. My YMCA doesn't have rings or a rope climb, surprisingly :-).
Old 06-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Gio,

Other than the parking, that is exactlly why I like it. I would put it in the parking lot of Bally's if I could.

I couldn't find parking anywhere. It really sucked. I am planning another trip at the end of June/early July to look at a couple of properties.

Doug
Old 06-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Connie Morreale

Profile:
h. giovanni...i love your avatar.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:54 AM   #8
Justin Marcis

Profile:
Hi Evan,

I am CrossFit certified and currently train out of a number of locations - and always bring my rings. Considering putting together a "in the park" workout group, if interest is there.

If you're interested in training - specifically working with rings, feel free to get in touch. Not sure where you're at in the city, but I train a number of CrossFit Chicago clients out of a private studio where Lincoln, Irving Park and Damen all meet.