CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
Woody Davis

Profile:

I saw a question on a Dec thread about the Secret Service style kettlebell snatch test. Here is how it works: you do as many snatches as you can in 10 minutes. That’s it. You can switch hands as often as you need. You can put the bell down. Whatever. Just max out in ten minutes. It’s brutal. It only takes a minute or two to get winded and then it becomes a struggle. What makes it brutal is that most people max out their heart rate or endurance, and then put the bell down for 10-20 seconds, before doing it again. (yes, seems like Tabata). Even guys putting up high numbers in a gym and pacing themselves will do something like 10 snatches left arm, 10 snatches right arm, and then put the bell down for a 10 second rest. The rest gets longer, up to 30 seconds, as the sets continue. Hello Pukie. You could do this with swings also but for competition it’s more difficult to judge swings.

This is different from Girvoy Sport competitions in Russia where you do as many snatches as possible in 10 minutes but you cannot switch arms back and forth or put the KB down. In this situation, the grip is the weak link so technique becomes more important and you develop creative ways to rest without putting the bell down. However, this shifts the focus to technique and away from conditioning (not that Russian GS stars are out of shape, but seldom do they max out their cardio and systemic endurance).

I’m starting to play around with this and its tough; the exercise is also more full body than you think. After performing circuits of snatches, pull-ups, and overhead presses some yesterday, I finished with 5 minutes of SS-style snatching. I had already been winded but this was tough and really finished off the workout. Not to mention, my arms and upper body were “pumped” from all the snatching more than after the pressing and pull-ups. Don’t know why, just was. I’m going to try a full 10 minutes later in the week. I hope some others try it and post numbers. I think the SS uses the 53# KB. Supposedly, they have guys doing well over 200.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I think this would make for an interesting "Girl" benchmark workout.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:
I agree Paul. This would make an outstanding benchmark. But I would definitely make certain anyone trying this (especially with the 52# bell or greater) get some hands on instruction and lots of practice before trying it. I managed to fracture my left forearm with the 52# bell while training for the TSC. I really didn't know how to snatch properly and the bell bit me good and hard. (TSC uses the 52# bell for the Secret Service 10 minute test - only you can't rest the bell on the ground). Maybe that size bell wouldn't seriously injure someone bigger than myself...just a warning to go with a great idea.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:52 PM   #4
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
First off - Kelly, I hope you're on the mend. Please send me an email and your disc (shhhh!) is in the mail...
Just did the USSS the other day (first time) and did 148 reps in 10 min. Did 7 right then left, which took about 40 sec+/-, rested for 20+/- and started a set at the top of the minute ala Chelsea. Was able to do a set with 8, 9 and then 10 for the last. After 6 rounds I did a 6/6 round to catch my second wind.

This is a great test. You can't go slow (GS-swing style) because you lose too much time. You have to go a medium to fast tempo. I think you should start off doing the test with a 16kg kb until you can snatch quickly w/o smashing your forearm. You need to be able to pull it head high, then quickly push the handle around the bell so the forearm meets the bell as you lock out, and the bell arcs to the finish position (overhead). To put it down quickly, push *** back and squat slightly as you lower your arm, letting the bell ride on your forearm until the handle is about head level, then give a slight pull, and as the bell goes back between your legs, you let the handle loosen slightly in your grip and you catch it more using your fingers in a hook grip (but NOT on the tips) to prevent ripping up your hands. Absorb shock and force with hamstring, keep arm straight and flex at bottom to protect elbow joint. Then quickly explode up, snapping hips and straightening out legs for power.

A lot of guys on the DD forum are doing the USSS snatch test, some even with 32s! The idea is to do a set of 5-10 R, then 5-10 L, then put down for short rest, and starting a new set on the minute. When using large bells, guys are doing 3-5 reps, and resting longer. One guy worked up to doing 150 reps with 32s in 10 min. by doing 15 sets of 5R/5L then resting one minute. He then started reducing his rest period until he could he could squeeze 15 sets into five min.

This would make a great benchmark w/o because of its simple nature. When you are able to do over 200 reps, move up to the next KB weight and do 3-5 reps R/L on the minute. This format would work with other exercises also. Can't wait till the CF boyz start playing with it.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Mike Sasin

Profile:

"I think this would make for an interesting "Girl" benchmark workout."

Yup. In honor of the KB's ethnic background, we should call the workout "Natasha" or something.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Natasha is PERFECT!

Now we just need to "petition" Coach!

Anybody willing at the HQ??
Old 01-06-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
Kelly Moore

Profile:
I like the idea. Natasha would be one incredibly sadistic lady!
Old 01-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #8
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
I can't wait! Bring on Natasha!
Old 01-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
Woody Davis

Profile:

Point on reps. Current record is rumored to be around 250 reps. Two guys at Dragon Door have done 244 and I have met both of them so I’d bet they are serious. However, Rob Lawrence provided some great info. He wanted to see what the max number would be if a person could snatch at max velocity without getting tired. Rob is a senior RKC instructor of Pavel’s so he’s experienced. He did one arm for a full minute, all out sprint. Results for 1 minute were:
Right: 33 reps
Left: 32 reps

This suggests the speed limit is over 300 snatches in 10 minutes. Of course changing hands takes time and no one can go all out for 10 minutes but it provides an interesting reference point.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #10
Woody Davis

Profile:

Clarification:

He did his right arm for 1 full minute. Then left arm for one full minute. He did not do 65 reps in one minute. Sorry I was unclear.