CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
Jason Steele

Profile:
For the last year I have been saving and buying equipment for my home gym, (yes this is a medical issue, just enjoy the preface), and I have a collection of kettlebells, a decent squat rack/ bench and bar, but the bottom of my list was bumpers. I have listened/ read about everyone's opinions about bumpers, etc but always thought that I didn't need them right away.

And now to the crux of the lesson: I have started implementing more Oly lifts into my workouts, especially cleans, snatches and OHS. Things were progressing well when I decided to do a scaled workout of 30 power cleans for time (sorta got mixed up with what Isabel really was, but anyway). I scaled to 75 lbs using the normal assortment of regular plates. Needless to say, in the process of reaching for the bar by form was compromised, although at the time I didn't realize it, causing me to tweak my lower back muscles. Lots of ice and some analgesics (and two days later) and I am finally beginning to get some range of motion back. I hope those of you who are putting off getting some bumpers take heed, this really sucks, I am jonesing for workouts and have to make due watching my wife do the workouts :sad:

Any suggestions other than my own observations?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
An interim measure until you get your bumpers is to use something to raise the starting height of the bar. Concrete blocks, wooden boxes, stacked short pieces of lumber, etc. Use your imagination.

Olympic lifters often use such devices, "pulling blocks," to raise the bar so that they can practice portions of the movements from different start points.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:38 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Hang cleans would be an alternative, if you can pick it off the rack and return it to the rack.

There is nothing wrong with using blocks to raise the height, but now keeping that in mind how did your form get compromised by pulling from the ground ? Was it a started to get sloppy because you had already done 15 power cleans? Or was it because you didn't concentrate on keeping the proper form? I find that when I don't use plates that go lower I have to really concentrate on getting a good set and keeping form throughout the reps.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:35 AM   #4
Jason Steele

Profile:
I think it was a combination of things, in retrospect (always 20/20) my form began to get sloppy about 1/2-3/4 of the way through the set. I began with super focus on my form, but as time and effort went by by concentration waned. Good idea about the blocks, I never really thought about it.