CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-31-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Hey guys

I am heading off on my stag party to Berlin this weekend for the Berlin Beer festival.....It's going to be 3 days for drinking so does anyone know of any supplements to help the effects of this on the body? I have heard of milk thistle - does this work?

Thanks

Jaime
Old 07-31-2007, 05:45 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
If you're going to use milk thistle (which I do on a regular basis for my liver/detox, not for binge drinking), get the Siliphos type. It's milk thistle bound to phosphatidylcholine/lecithin, it's extremely bioavailable (normal milk thistle isn't that bioavailable). If normal milk thistle is all you can get, then go for it.

Grapefruit seed extract, 10 drops minimum, taken before any drinking.

N-acetyl cysteine, 2 grams, taken before drinking.

Drink your herbal tea or water. Stay hydrated, before, during, and after drinking.

Take your normal antioxidants, you may wish to double up on those few drinking days.

Note that these things need to be in the system before drinking, not during or after. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Thanks Garrett I was hoping you'd reply!
Now to get shopping and find this stuff. What antioxidants do you recommend?

Cheers

Jaime
Old 07-31-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Jason Fryer

Profile:
When your body processes alcohol it can quickly deplete your stores of B vitamins. Try and find a good B-Complex and take it when you get home from drinking and possibly another when you wake up. I've sworn by this method since college :-)
Old 07-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Basic antioxidants I use 4 days a week (not including the mineral antioxidants like selenium):

whole food C, 500 mg, Innate Response
whole food E, 400 IU, Innate Response
whole food CoQ10, NewMark/New Chapter
Zyflamend, NewMark/New Chapter
R-Plus (a mixture of R-lipoic acid and R-dihydrolipoic acid), Geronova Research
Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Right got all that stuff bought (not cheap!) so wish me luck!

Wasn't able to get the grapefruit drops so got tablets - is that ok?

Thanks for the help

Jaime

(Message edited by jaime on August 01, 2007)
Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Hi Jaime

I bought grapefuit seed extract from ebay.co.uk many moons ago. Just do a search. Brand name is Citricidal. Less that £5

Garrett what's the reasoning for the grapefuit seed extract?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Ger,
It's a long explanation.

WFS link about liver detox (http://www.liverdoctor.com/03_detoxpathways.asp), it will help you understand what I'm about to say.

The liver tends to get a bottleneck between phase 1 and phase 2 detoxification pathways when too much alcohol is consumed (because phase 1 speeds way up and phase 2 can't keep up). The toxic intermediates that have gone through phase 1 (but not phase 2) get pushed out into the system and cause a hangover and other damage.

Grapefruit (and GSE) slow down certain parts of phase 1 so that the intermediate metabolites go through in a more organized fashion and don't spill out into the system.

Some theorize that using GSE would then make someone get more intoxicated on less alcohol, due to slowing phase 1. From my observations, this theory has not panned out. It's the phase 2 processes that are most important.

Also, I have noticed that when one goes to all of the effort to avoid a hangover through supplements, hydration, etc., that they tend to watch their consumption a bit more (as they have a desire to avoid a hangover in the first place!).

(Message edited by guerilastrength on August 01, 2007)
Old 08-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I've always tried to keep food in the digestive system and plenty of fluids before, during, and after. If anything, running to the head is more annoying.

I like getting some vitamins in the form of OJ or fruit. I used to do the supplements but I'm not into supplements much anymore.

So long as I keep hydrated and fed, I rarely ever feel it the next day unless I get a lack of sleep though I might be thirsty in the morn. However, I'm not beyond a casual drinker so that's a reason I probably don't tear myself up.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
John Seiler

Profile:
I'll tear it up now and again. My recipe for success (although a lot tougher with beer than whiskey): one drink; one glass of water; one drink; one glass of water; etc.

A good toast for benders: "To my uncle who told me to stop drinking when you can't spell your name backwards... Cheers, Uncle Bob."