CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #3971
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:
Re: Where's the Girl Power?

I'm sorry but I had to laugh when I read "I did it without crying". Are we insane?

YES.

I don't post here often.. kind of come back off and on.. but it's so great to see the Girl Power getting stronger.

On Monday or so, I'm going to start a new program named (by me):

"Injured old ladies with ****ty numbers can get strong" WODs, programmed by Jay Ashman. He knows his stuff bigtime and I need someone to oversee me to get back to pre-surgery badness.

Yesterday was the first time I did ground to overhead in.. over four months? 7 rounds of 7@65 and it was like.. pffft. I GOT This. All of the upper body work I've had to do while my knee has been Fersh*t is paying off.

So.. hi all. popping in, popping out.. crossfit addict through the roof.. booya and woot woot and yes diane.. great hair!

e
Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #3972
Carina McDonald

Profile:

My husband and I joined CF together. We only workout together once in a while as we are on different schedules. Honestly I don't notice the difference - there could be a nuclear going on outside but if I'm doing a WoD I wouldn't know. haha. It is really nice though having someone else to obsess over CF with. I try not to subject my friends to too much CF speak but it's hard not to!

One of the best parts of the experience was after our first introductory WoD (yes the one involving many many squats). Next morning, I laughed at him getting out of bed and shuffling to the bathroom, he laughed at me side stepping down the stairs to the kitchen. Mutual suffering brings you closer I guess

Not to mention there's noone more appreciative of the changes in your body than your significant other!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #3973
Erin Fox

Profile:

Hello all, I've been lurking for awhile wanted to finally say hey and ask a question....

Alright, first I'm going to try to sum up my situation. Technically I started Crossfit about 8 months ago, but I was sidelined for probably 4 months+ of that due to an injury (trying to do too much too fast, blew out a joint). I have never been athletic, I'm overweight and all of this is very new to me. So it's been about 2 months of being back in the box full time since recovering from my injury and I have definitely seen inprovements in everything from my lifts to various scaling (box jump height, moved from jumping pullups to finally being on the bands, etc), as well as losing a pants size. Before I was injured I was fairly dialed into a paleo/zone diet, which I totally dropped when I got hurt (depression) but have picked up again in the last couple months. I would say I'm about 85% strict, and most of my "cheat" is weekend drinks. Today I got a body comp analysis at my chiro and well...the news is worse than I expected, and I expected it to be pretty bad.

So my breakdown: I'm 5'7", 187lbs, 37% bf. My goals are to lift as much heavy sh*t as possible, get an unassisted pullup, do standard pushups, and generally try to kick some ***. I crossfit 3-4 days a week and am also doing a jump rope/jogging program 1-2 days a week (never ran in my life, just trying to build some endurance. And get double unders).

My question: I am going to get super strict on my diet. I obviously have a lot of body fat to lose. Any ideas on what I should shoot for with my protein/carb/fat ratios? I know quite a lot about the paleo and zone diets at this point, but am not sure what the appropriate fat % should be when I obviously have so much bf to lose. Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #3974
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

As I understand it, for CFers try to get 1g protein per 1lb of Lean Body Mass. With a BF% of 37%, that's about 117lbs of LBM. So figure on around 120g of protein.

Beyond that - Zone would put you at 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat, and you'd figure it from there. Though many who are trying to lose weight seem to favor a more 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs approach.

I'm kind of struggling to make sure I eat enough protein right now, and then eat fat and carbs along with it, but that's just me. I'm sure others will have better answers - but you might also want to ask in the nutrition section.

My biggest advice to you has nothing to do with diet, and everything to do with attitude - make sure you stay within your capacity and don't overdo it! It's hard, because CF is awesome, but take your time to get where you want to go. As long as you keep going, even if it's not at breakneck pace, you'll get where you need to be!

---

For myself, I had to add this too. I've been stressing about not seeing physical changes since starting CF 2 months ago. Turns out I was measuring the wrong areas.

2 months of Crossfit - Lost: 4 inches around each arm, 2 inches around each forearm, 1 inch around each calf, 1 inch around neck, 2 inches around shoulders.

So everywhere I haven't been measuring has been going down, everywhere I have been measuring hasn't. This tells me to stop measuring the parts I care most about?

Also, weight loss: 1 lb. Muscle weighs more than fat, this is true, but at this rate I'm going to be an Amazon when I'm down to an acceptable BF%.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #3975
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post

Also, weight loss: 1 lb. Muscle weighs more than fat, this is true, but at this rate I'm going to be an Amazon when I'm down to an acceptable BF%.
No.
A pound is a pound is a pound is a pound. No matter how you got about it, a pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the say.

But...a pound of muscle takes up less SPACE than a pound of fat.

Take a 1 lb cut of steak and put it on your left side, and then a 1 lb bag of marshmallows and put it on your right, you've added equal weight, but the steak is going to take up FAR less room.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:33 AM   #3976
Lani Deves

Profile:

Hey girls!

I'm kinda new here, but not really. I'm 5 months into my crossfitting life. I'll admit that I'm an addict. I talk crossfit, I think crossfit and I train my *** off. I come from a martial arts back ground (14 years, 2 different styles, instructor in both) but I burned out from the politics and the whole fact that I had to basically work myself into the ground to get a hint of the same respect the guys did. Love Crossfit for supporting strong powerful amazing women who try their hearts out!

Anyway I joined with my Boy, the whole point wasn't for him to become a firebreather and for me to struggle - but eh you get that. He is a former gymnast and I was his martial arts instructor, and he's a natural freaking athlete (that bastard).

Trying to go strict Paleo for 12 weeks (yeah when I do something I pretty much go to the extremes) currently but no Zoning due to the pretty bad eating disorders that still creep up on me. Paleo seems to be working at keeping them at bay.

What else? uhm in 5 months I'm literally about half an inch from clearing the bar with my pull ups. I'm so excited. I can just see the RXD next to my name in the very near future. hehe
Old 08-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #3977
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
No.
A pound is a pound is a pound is a pound. No matter how you got about it, a pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the say.

But...a pound of muscle takes up less SPACE than a pound of fat.

Take a 1 lb cut of steak and put it on your left side, and then a 1 lb bag of marshmallows and put it on your right, you've added equal weight, but the steak is going to take up FAR less room.
<headdesk> And me with half a degree in physics. Yes, I know this! LOL.

What I meant was - muscle weighs more than fat, so if I'm converting to muscle I'll be smaller but weigh the same, which is why I haven't lost any appreciable weight yet. Still - that many inches gone is happiness! Now if I can just get it off the chest, stomach, hips, and thighs...
Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #3978
Nicole Perryman

Profile:

Quote:
Now if I can just get it off the chest, stomach, hips, and thighs...
It will come off! Keep going strong and eating right and you will see all the results fall into place!

You will get rid of that extra on your stomach, hips, thighs, and chest...

I lost the chest part... It makes me sad...
Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #3979
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
What I meant was - muscle weighs more than fat, so if I'm converting to muscle I'll be smaller but weigh the same,
To be precise...you don't convert fat to muscle. Fat can't turn into muscle.

Quote:
Now if I can just get it off the chest, stomach, hips, and thighs...
Nicole is right. Just keep putting in the work and eating well.

We all -- guys and girls alike -- lose the fat differently, and (by my experience at least) it's fruitless to try to target fat loss at specific areas of the body. Just keep crankin', and you'll see it fall off when you've done the work to make it happen.

- Mark
Old 08-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #3980
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

This is not my day for specificity, I'm afraid.

And yeah - it's moderately annoying but I kind of figure - I've never been the muscular, in-shape girl tossing heavy weights around, so since that is my goal, I'm just trusting the programming and doing whatever's on the WOD. Some days it's awesome, other days it sucks.

Honestly though, to be able to follow a program and scale but not have to change it completely for me is so amazing. So many years of "yeah, I have fibromyalgia, so I can't do <insert everyday thing here>" that just being able to blithely follow the directions and see results is fantastic.

I'm not stopping in general, but I just bludgeoned my friend into doing Crossfit with me, so now I have to at least keep going until he's hooked. (I gave him the option of dying early and fat, or of doing Crossfit with me.)

Also, Lani - that's wonderful! I can only imagine how happy you are right now of being so close to your goal!