CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #3961
Elizabeth Almstrom

Profile:
Re: Where's the Girl Power?

Today I backsquated my own bodyweight for the first time (60kg/132 pounds) ever and yesterday I did my first handstand against a wall EVER. I can do handstands against a wall its the best thing ever!

Wohooo!

Elizabeth
Old 08-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #3962
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Tania - welcome! Good to see you here!

Elizabeth - SWEET! That has to be an amazing feeling.

So. Tomorrow will be 2 months of Crossfit for me, which is awesome. I'm feeling good (and good and sore to boot) and being pretty faithful. I'm eating paleo, and my husband is pretty much eating paleo because he eats what I cook. The only times he doesn't eat paleo are when we go out or order food - then he often includes bread and such.

He doesn't work out. He worked out when he was in the Army, and was muscular and thin. Now he's got a layer of fat going, still muscular (he can drop and knock out push-ups just fine with great form still - I HATE him for that), just carrying extra weight. I haven't told him he should, I haven't asked him to do it with me. I haven't suggested that he needs to tone up. I haven't nagged. It has taken EFFORT - as hard as any WOD has ever been.

Last night, as we're going to bed, he's putting Icy Hot on my sore, sore muscles (I should buy stock, seriously) I'm trying not to whimper, and he says: "You know. I should probably start CFing with you."

Score!

Last edited by Shannon Mullens; 08-25-2010 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: because it's good to use complete sentences
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #3963
Jessica S Roberts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post

Last night, as we're going to bed, he's putting Icy Hot on my sore, sore muscles (I should buy stock, seriously) I'm trying not to whimper, and he says: "You know. I should probably start CFing with you."

Score!
That is awesome!! I hope he does. Since my husband has started doing CF with me, he's feeling better ~ physically and mentally. It's fun to talk about our WODs together too!
Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #3964
Carina McDonald

Profile:

Alright Ladies, a few of you have recruited me over to this thread

So my names Carina and I... uhhhmm... *awkward cough*. I am a Crossfit addict. I started in April when a family member gave us the pitch. Showed up with my husband to a box near us and got our asses handed to us in the form of several hundred squats.

During our first WoD (Fran) I couldn't decide whether I wanted to barf, cry or pass out but I made it through and I guess it was love at first sight. (and it's not exactly terrible to walk into a box full of gorgeous men sweating, with music blasting and crazy energy everywhere).

We've made some great friends already and at almost 6 months in things are coming along very well. I came in with quite a lot of problems with my back (I actually dropped out of physio and decided to do CF instead, call me crazy but I figured THAT would build muscle up much faster - my doctor literally told me I was stupid). So it's been a real challenging road of substitutions, rest days, frustration and a few tears in WoDs - and LOTS of Graston & Active Release treatment. Luckily we have a team 'doc' who is determined to fix me up. I don't come from an active / athletics background - until 2 years ago I was 50 lb overweight. But that doesn't mean anything anymore - I've written a whole new chapter in my book. It's been a life changing experience so far and I'm SUPER pumped to be a part of the community.

Really look forward to getting to know all of you =)

~Carina in Canada!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #3965
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

Love the posts over the past few days!

Yes, I cut and bleached my hair! I've gone back in time. I just need to find my shoulder pads.

I am in trouble at work for too much time on the internet. So I will post from time to time. And I will keep reading because this thread is so inspiring!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #3966
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica S Roberts View Post
That is awesome!! I hope he does. Since my husband has started doing CF with me, he's feeling better ~ physically and mentally. It's fun to talk about our WODs together too!
I envy you guys that. My guy trains at my box and we DO NOT work out together. It's the only time we ever snarl at each other. >.<
Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #3967
Nicole Perryman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post

Elizabeth - SWEET! That has to be an amazing feeling.

So. Tomorrow will be 2 months of Crossfit for me, which is awesome. I'm feeling good (and good and sore to boot) and being pretty faithful. I'm eating paleo, and my husband is pretty much eating paleo because he eats what I cook. The only times he doesn't eat paleo are when we go out or order food - then he often includes bread and such.

He doesn't work out. He worked out when he was in the Army, and was muscular and thin. Now he's got a layer of fat going, still muscular (he can drop and knock out push-ups just fine with great form still - I HATE him for that), just carrying extra weight. I haven't told him he should, I haven't asked him to do it with me. I haven't suggested that he needs to tone up. I haven't nagged. It has taken EFFORT - as hard as any WOD has ever been.

Score!
That is SO AWESOME!!! I have asked my husband a few times, and he just looks at me like "you REALLY think I'm gonna get out there and do that?". For the past few weeks he has been to a school for the Army, and is having to do PT every morning. He's starting to regret that he didn't at least go running with me when I asked. Maybe, just maybe this is the little push he needs to get started with me. I would just so love to be able to watch him do the WODs. I think I would probably lose my focus though lol
Old 08-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #3968
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Mahoney View Post
Love the posts over the past few days!

Yes, I cut and bleached my hair! I've gone back in time. I just need to find my shoulder pads.

I am in trouble at work for too much time on the internet. So I will post from time to time. And I will keep reading because this thread is so inspiring!
Your hair is kickass.
I've been contemplating doing something similar but I haven't got the nerve! It's scary!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #3969
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carina McDonald View Post
During our first WoD (Fran) I couldn't decide whether I wanted to barf, cry or pass out but I made it through and I guess it was love at first sight.
Yea! Carina, Fran was my first WoD too! I cant believe I came back But I love it!

Christy in the US but married to a 1/2 Canadian
Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #3970
Christy Labrie

Profile:

I cant get my husband to try it It is not really that he doesnt want to but I think he wonders if his shoulders would bother him (he had surgery after HS for damage he did to them in wrestling and football--dumb HS sports, seriously, its HS)
He also is a lineman for the electric company so he is outside all day and does work pretty hard, I think he wants to relax when he gets home not go lift more heavy stuff.
Anyway, I would still love him there.

I did it without crying yesterday! My nemisis FINISH has scared me since I first did it and cried during it, almost threw up. I actually growled at someone to leave me alone.

We had 3 mini WoDs and we broke into groups, I got to pick what our group started with and I picked Finish to start. I finished in under 7min (the time limits for the minis). Yea me, I was so excited.