CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Brent Ramos

Profile:
Collarbone pain while doing dips

I was doing dips last week and noticed that my collarbone area was hurting a little while doing the dips. I finished my workout and the next day the area was a bit sore. It's not really bad pain at all, but I'm wondering what could cause this. I thought it could just be because I'm pretty heavy (200 lbs) and maybe that my body wasn't used to sustaining such stress. However, I had been doing deeps in the weeks prior to the pain.

Also, I have a friend that is much lighter and notices the same pain the collarbone area.

Could it be from using too wide or too narrow of a grip? These are just standard dips on bars, not ring dips or anything.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Bob D Pratt

Profile:
Re: Collarbone pain while doing dips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ramos View Post
my collarbone area was hurting a little while doing the dips.
Where on your collar bone? You pec (chest muscle) attaches to the medial inner 1/3 of your clavicle. If the pain is here it's from your chest muscle. Are you bending at the waist? This puts more pressure on your chest. Try keeping a more vertical body position.
If it hurts near your shoulder it could be a couple things: rotator cuff perhaps.
If it hurts ice it and rest it. work on mobility.
good luck,
bob
Old 04-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Wide dips can put a lot of stress on the collarbone. I broke my left clavacle twice 11 years ago, and if I do bar dips on something even slightly wide I feel every rep on the left side, right where I broke it, zero pain on the right. I get no pain doing ring dips or any other pushing movement.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D Pratt View Post
Where on your collar bone? You pec (chest muscle) attaches to the medial inner 1/3 of your clavicle. If the pain is here it's from your chest muscle. Are you bending at the waist? This puts more pressure on your chest. Try keeping a more vertical body position.
If it hurts near your shoulder it could be a couple things: rotator cuff perhaps.
If it hurts ice it and rest it. work on mobility.
good luck,
bob
If he's actually talking about his clavicle, then it's probably his sternoclavicular joint. That's a bit complicated to fix on your own. A PT, chiropractor, or trained orthopedist could address it pretty easily with some joint mobilizations, if you decide to see someone about it.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Brent Ramos

Profile:

It's definitely right around the clavicle (collarbone). I usually feel it near the bottom of the dip, and as I push up out of the dip. It doesn't feel like a rotator cuff/shoulder pain, more isolated in the clavicle area. I do bend at the waist when doing dips.

It's not a bad pain and it only occurs after I do dips multiple times in the week. For example, I took about a week off of doing them and included them in a workout on Thursday and there was no pain.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Frank Petkovich

Profile:

Until you go to a PT or a doctor, don't do dips. Any exercise that aggravates an area of your body should not be continued until you know what, specifically, is causing the problem. There are plenty other tricep routines you can do instead of dips.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Petkovich View Post
Until you go to a PT or a doctor, don't do dips. Any exercise that aggravates an area of your body should not be continued until you know what, specifically, is causing the problem. There are plenty other tricep routines you can do instead of dips.
I imagine that, if it doesn't hurt now, movements utilizing extensive extension, external rotation, or horizontal abduction will aggravate it most. That means dips and primarily snatch would be out. Honestly though, it's something that you should get checked out, Brent. It's pretty easy to fix and will reduce the chance of you getting osteoarthritis at the sternoclavicular joint.