CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-04-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
James Taft

Profile:

So, I take the APFT the other day and maxed Push-ups and Sit-ups no problem (17-21 yr old scale), but my 2 mile run time was terrible (15:45). I felt embarassed since the worst time I ran before this one was a 14:30. Usually score around 13:30. My co-worker who was an old track guy said I just need to get more time out on the road running. Basically, he suggested a mixed running workout 5 days a week. Over those 5 days you would perform:

1. Moderate distance/Moderate pace
2. LSD
3. Speed Work (400's broken down according to 2 mile time goal)
4. Recovery run (3-4 miles really slow)
5. Rest
*Note - these are in no particular order.

Now, I agree that I do need to get out and just run more, but I don't want to sacrifice crossfitting. I want to make sure that I will gain the most benefit from everyday of working out. Can I do 5 days of running and do CrossFit every time too? For instance, run in the morning and CrossFit workout at night. Will this lead to overtrainning. Any suggestions? Also, what do you think of the running plan above if I am trying to get my time down to 13:00 2 mile.

Thanks
Jim
Old 03-04-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
Jay Swan

Profile:
Conventional running wisdom for increasing speed at those distances is that your weekly workouts should include at least, in order of priority:

1) speed work
2) tempo run (a longer steady run at just below race pace)
3) longer run

It looks like your program is missing the tempo run.

As for integration with Crossfit, I dunno. Still trying to figure that one out for myself.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:27 PM   #3
Brian Hand

Profile:

Jim, I think it might depend on what factor is limiting your performance.

If you're winded sucking and heaving, the problem is probably aerobic power, which is not very specific to the activity. Crossfit WOD constitutes good interval work, so it should carry over.

On the other hand, if you're burning somewhere, calves, hams, quads, whatever, you probably need more specific training to build adequate local muscular endurance and work on form. Practicing the skill (that is, running a lot) is probably the most efficient way to improve in this case.

(If like me you are winded sucking heaving burning angry and spitting, almost anything will help.)
Old 03-04-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I'm taking a the municipal police test soon and I'm also running in to the same problem. I find that you definitely have to break the two up morning/afternoon or night. I'm too beat after a CF workout and running before would be suicide, not to mention counterproductive. I think that doing runs in the morning on the 1st and 3rd day of the 3 on 1 off cycle would probably be best. Then you get 4 running days out of 8 and won't overdo it because Crossfit includes running pretty regularly.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:34 AM   #5
Paul "The Viking"
Departed Paul

Profile:

Recently, somewhere in the WOD results archive, I found a post where someone was complaining about their 5K time. Coach responded, saying that the person should add a 5K for time every other rest day, but not to add any more than that. I suppose he might recommend something along those lines for the 2 mile, which is a similar distance. Maybe he can make a suggestion!

-Paul
Old 03-05-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
Kris Freeman

Profile:
Yeah, crossfit is great stuff, but I'm gonna half to run my @$$ of come July when I go to boot camp. That is why I'm also running right now, why make it harder on myself? I think I'm gonna stick with running on the 1st and 3rd day of crossfit in the morning; varying the distance and intensity. This will probably vary from LSD around 4 miles, Tempos of 2-3, and intervals.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #7
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

how much more distance do you guys run if your being tested on the 1.5 mile run?

do you do some runs of 2 to 3 miles? combined with your speedwork
Old 03-15-2004, 07:45 AM   #8
Parth Shah

Profile:
damn, I have to start reading these posts more often. Lots of nice information.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:22 AM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
James-

I think paul's/coaches suggestion is good. The WOD contains enough sprint work to cover that area so a tempo run/week should be plenty to cover your needs.
Keep us posted
Robb
Old 03-15-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
James Taft

Profile:

Thanks Rob and Paul! I run about 4 times a week now (Unit PT). Usually, I do a 5K on Monday (tempo run), a 5K on Wednesday (recovery), a 4 mile (slow pace) on Friday, and a 5K (tempo run) on Saturday. I am adding WOD as I can until I can do all WOD in line with Coaches Schedule. Thanks everyone for all the helpful hints and tips.

Jim