CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Brent Sallee
Member Brent Sallee is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Davis  CA
Posts: 681
Re: Popping Knee

The anti-inflammatory will only help as long as you can remove the insult. It sounds like you're having some lateral patellar maltracking, which can be due to stuff at the knee, hip, or ankle. If your lateral knee musculature is tight, it'd be best to loosen that up and see how your symptoms get.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #12
Brent Ramos
Member Brent Ramos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Gabriel  CA
Posts: 49
Re: Popping Knee

Thanks for replying, Brent.

Yeah, I definitely know that's a problem, however, what's strange to me is that the discomfort/pain only occurs on the INSIDE or inboard side of my knee, which is on the opposite side of the maltracking patella. Any idea why? Is there a connection there? I know that when the shifting/maltracking becomes more intense, the discomfort on the inside of my knee increases. It seems as if they're related, though I can't see how considering that they're on opposite sides of the knee.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
Brent Ramos
Member Brent Ramos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Gabriel  CA
Posts: 49
Re: Popping Knee

Also, I've located exactly what it is that causes the discomfort.

Whatever it is runs from the back of my thigh (near the inside/inboard side of my thigh) and runs down my leg and wraps around and runs down the inboard side of the knee.

It's a tendon or something that you can shift with your fingers.

I can locate it by laying on down and crossing my legs while extended [left(the injured one)] and moving my leg from side to side, which produces the shifting of whatever runs down my leg. This causes no pain, however, I am almost certain this is what causes the discomfort when beginning to run.

I've attached an image, which is of a right leg, however it is my left leg that I'm referring to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
Brent Sallee
Member Brent Sallee is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Davis  CA
Posts: 681
Re: Popping Knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ramos View Post
Thanks for replying, Brent.

Yeah, I definitely know that's a problem, however, what's strange to me is that the discomfort/pain only occurs on the INSIDE or inboard side of my knee, which is on the opposite side of the maltracking patella. Any idea why? Is there a connection there? I know that when the shifting/maltracking becomes more intense, the discomfort on the inside of my knee increases. It seems as if they're related, though I can't see how considering that they're on opposite sides of the knee.
Well, if the patella tracks laterally, it stretches the structures on the medial side that insert onto it - mainly the medial patellar retinacular fibers (deep connective tissue) and the more superficial vastus medialis. If you fix that, it can maybe help alleviate some of your pain.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #15
Brent Sallee
Member Brent Sallee is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Davis  CA
Posts: 681
Re: Popping Knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ramos View Post
Also, I've located exactly what it is that causes the discomfort.

Whatever it is runs from the back of my thigh (near the inside/inboard side of my thigh) and runs down my leg and wraps around and runs down the inboard side of the knee.

It's a tendon or something that you can shift with your fingers.

I can locate it by laying on down and crossing my legs while extended [left(the injured one)] and moving my leg from side to side, which produces the shifting of whatever runs down my leg. This causes no pain, however, I am almost certain this is what causes the discomfort when beginning to run.

I've attached an image, which is of a right leg, however it is my left leg that I'm referring to.
It seems your image didn't come through. If you've actually located the insult, that's good. What you're describing sounds more like a hamstring or adductor issue - semitendonosis, maybe semimembranosus or gracilicis. Those, however, shouldn't be dependent on your patella location like the vastus medialis would be. If they are affected by your running, that makes me think that there might be a bit more complicated mechanical issue - likely some sort of weakness or technique issue that's contributing to either excessive rotation or just overuse. Honestly though, it's hard to say without evaluating you. If it's at all possible, can you see a military physical therapist?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
Brent Ramos
Member Brent Ramos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Gabriel  CA
Posts: 49
Re: Popping Knee

No, I can't see a military physical therapist because I'm not part of the military yet.

Like I said before, I went to my doctor when I first injured it back in February and she felt it but found nothing. It was a little worse than it is now, random pangs of discomfort when moving my leg in directions not typical of walking (i.e. turning a corner). She said because there was no pain that it should be okay, so I just went on my way.

In reference to a mechanical issue, I definitely do not think it's something that's from a fundamental mechanical running issue seeing that I never had any problems before I originally injured it, and never had any problems after the injury until a week ago. Also, as I previously stated, I'm 100% sure that the injury was caused by running in boots and a twenty pound weight vest on a sideways sloping street.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #17
Brent Sallee
Member Brent Sallee is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Davis  CA
Posts: 681
Re: Popping Knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ramos View Post
No, I can't see a military physical therapist because I'm not part of the military yet.

Like I said before, I went to my doctor when I first injured it back in February and she felt it but found nothing. It was a little worse than it is now, random pangs of discomfort when moving my leg in directions not typical of walking (i.e. turning a corner). She said because there was no pain that it should be okay, so I just went on my way.

In reference to a mechanical issue, I definitely do not think it's something that's from a fundamental mechanical running issue seeing that I never had any problems before I originally injured it, and never had any problems after the injury until a week ago. Also, as I previously stated, I'm 100% sure that the injury was caused by running in boots and a twenty pound weight vest on a sideways sloping street.
Doctors aren't great at treating musculoskeletal injuries, unless they're an ortho or sports med doc. Go get a prescription for PT either way. It will go away if you take initative, but it won't go away on its own.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Popping in joints Alex Curtis Injuries 20 11-28-2010 03:39 PM
shoulder popping Patricia Seip Injuries 1 12-02-2009 07:23 PM
Knees popping Cody Black Health and Medical Issues 4 01-21-2008 10:53 AM
Joints popping Justin Knighten Injuries 2 05-08-2007 12:05 PM
Rib popping James R. Duwve Injuries 0 08-31-2006 06:58 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:36 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.