CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Chris Westfield

Profile:
What about a Best Affiliate Average Competition during the open?

Dear Crossfit HQ,
Attn: Head Game-maker(s)

Stop me if you're doing this already.

I know there's the affiliate competition for regionals and the games. I think a great idea this year is to have a 'Best Affiliate Average Competition.' What I mean is you take the average scores from all the individuals who compete in the open and are a member of an affiliate and average them together for an overall Affiliate score. The best average overall score gets bragging rights as deemed the best overall affiliate.

For the average joe cross fit, we know we're not competitive for the open, regional or games in a sense of placing but dernit we love our box and we'd probably be more motivated to push ourselves a little harder.

It's also a chance to get all levels involved and would make the open competition a little more inclusive (beginners).

A side benefit is registration might increase. You don't have to do anything fancy, come up with some simple rules, have some poor intern at Crossfit HQ stay late and throw the scores into a spreadsheet to calculate the winners. Even the prize can be simple, perhaps a nice Crossfit Ribbon graphic for the winning boxes that they can post up on their websites/social media... 1st, 2nd, 3rd place. And you can even go as far as dividing it up boxes by size, small, medium and large affiliates. It's good PR for the winning boxes.

Keeping it simple and no prize money would keep folks from manipulating the rules, i.e. just using their best athletes to compete.

That's my two cents. Hope this is something you would consider.

Regards,
C
Old 01-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
Kevin Locker

Profile:
Re: What about a Best Affiliate Average Competition during the open?

Interesting concept- I could actually see it going the other way with regards to participation levels. I could see some of the athletes on the lower end not wanting to sign up so that they don't bring their box's average down.
Now this does sound to me like something that would be fun to do between local boxes. Or maybe the could add a component to the score that includes participation percentage- like you get bonus points in the competition if you have over 75% of your paid membership participate? just spitballing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Westfield View Post
Dear Crossfit HQ,
Attn: Head Game-maker(s)

Stop me if you're doing this already.

I know there's the affiliate competition for regionals and the games. I think a great idea this year is to have a 'Best Affiliate Average Competition.' What I mean is you take the average scores from all the individuals who compete in the open and are a member of an affiliate and average them together for an overall Affiliate score. The best average overall score gets bragging rights as deemed the best overall affiliate.

For the average joe cross fit, we know we're not competitive for the open, regional or games in a sense of placing but dernit we love our box and we'd probably be more motivated to push ourselves a little harder.

It's also a chance to get all levels involved and would make the open competition a little more inclusive (beginners).

A side benefit is registration might increase. You don't have to do anything fancy, come up with some simple rules, have some poor intern at Crossfit HQ stay late and throw the scores into a spreadsheet to calculate the winners. Even the prize can be simple, perhaps a nice Crossfit Ribbon graphic for the winning boxes that they can post up on their websites/social media... 1st, 2nd, 3rd place. And you can even go as far as dividing it up boxes by size, small, medium and large affiliates. It's good PR for the winning boxes.

Keeping it simple and no prize money would keep folks from manipulating the rules, i.e. just using their best athletes to compete.

That's my two cents. Hope this is something you would consider.

Regards,
C
Old 01-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: What about a Best Affiliate Average Competition during the open?

That would be a very cool thing to do, I think on a more local level because of the "fear of bringing down the team's average" Kevin brought up. I think because a lot of affilliates in a certain area (for instance, there are ~10 gyms in my Metro East area) are very familiar with each other, it would create more incentive for everybody to participate. Especially if there are a bunch of similar-sized affiliates in the area.