CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Jason Vinson

Profile:
SO tired after lunch.

i dont know if im eating to much? or not enough? im not on any diet or anything yet (been thinking of going to the zone diet) i am 172-176 pounds and am 6'1 and i do crossfit 4 to 5 times a week and have been doing so for 3-4 months. an example of what i ate today is after my WOD ("moon"RX in 24 minutes) i had a syntrax nectar protein shake with one scoop (this stuff any good?) then i got ready for work and then ate 2 hard boiled eggs and a peach. then for lunch i had a sandwich from fire house subs which is about 900 calories and for a veggie i had a pack of edemame which is another 150 caleries. before eating lunch i was feeling hungry and tired, i ate lunch, and then a few minutes after i feel really tired! hard to keep my eyes open tired... i sit down all day at work so boredom could play a small roll but for the most part in the morning i feel fine and after work i feel fine until bed. for sleep i usually get about 7 -8 hours a night. for WODs i feel like i have enough energy. its just mostly after lunch i feel really tired. am i eating to much and that could be the cause? or not enough through the day? for dinner i might have 3/4 pound sirloun with some asperigus and tomato as an example.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: SO tired after lunch.

Being sleepy right after a big meal is pretty normal. Might be worth it to try spacing those calories out a bit. Don't cut back on your total calories, though -- you could probably stand to gain a good number of pounds.

You could also be having a sugar crash, which is what can happen if you take in a big slug of sugar all at once: quick energy from the sugar, followed by insulin spike to deal with it, followed by crash as your sugar drops too low before leveling off.

Katherine
Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I see you had a 900 calorie sandwich before getting sleepy. Some people get a "carb coma", or so I've heard. Maybe you can try less carbs in that particular meal and see what happens? Just for a one day to experiment, just a suggestion.

But yeah, you do sound a little light for being 6'1" !!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Jason Vinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Being sleepy right after a big meal is pretty normal. Might be worth it to try spacing those calories out a bit. Don't cut back on your total calories, though -- you could probably stand to gain a good number of pounds.

You could also be having a sugar crash, which is what can happen if you take in a big slug of sugar all at once: quick energy from the sugar, followed by insulin spike to deal with it, followed by crash as your sugar drops too low before leveling off.

Katherine
i tend to stay away from sugar unless its from fruit or from the peach ice cream for desert every other week or so. i dont drink soda, and i have had a few gulps of coconut mango juice in the morning for the potasium the last week or so in the mornings. i might try and spread my meal out a bit and see if that help though!

also, i agree that i could use to gain some pounds, but i would also like to lean up. would the Zone diet be something that would accomplish this? also, not sure if i am medium? small? large? for the blocks?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Vinson View Post
also, i agree that i could use to gain some pounds, but i would also like to lean up. would the Zone diet be something that would accomplish this? also, not sure if i am medium? small? large? for the blocks?
No. Do not Zone. Why on earth would you go on a calorie restricted diet when you're trying to gain pounds?

Eat as if you're trying to gain 30 pounds (which you are). Lift heavy stuff. Don't worry about your 6-pack until you actually have some muscles worth revealing, which at 170# and 6'1" you almost certainly don't.

(FWIW, a guy in my gym weighs 170# at 5'5" or 5'6". He's ripped. You're just scrawny.)

Katherine
Old 08-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Jason Vinson

Profile:

Quote:
You're just scrawny
gotta start somewhere.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

so you get sleepy after eating your only starchy and processed foods in the whole day all at once? what was the question again...?

seriously man. you eat fruit in the morning with eggs. no starch. no processed food. you eat steak and veggies in the evening. no starch, no processed food. you feel good all morning and night. but at lunch you eat a sandwich from firehouse ( i love firehouse subs by the way!) which is starchy processed bread and whatever else you get on the sandwich. and after that you feel tired. i think it's pretty obvious the issue.

i use the syntrax nectar and really like, i find it to be a very good protein powder and taste good. however, i recommend a larger breakfast, mixing in some starch. mix in a little starch with dinner too. keep the fruits and veggies. and then at lunch try eating a well rounded meal. less processed food preferably. if you eat all your starchy carbs at one meal, and they are highly refined white bread, you can be sure to feel sleepy afterward.

on the other note, i agree you should probably be eating more. stop worrying about "getting lean" and start lifting heavy stuff and growing muscle. you might be suprised how lean you look when muscles start forming. plus the added workout intensity it takes to lift heavy coupled with the new muscle will boost your fat burning more than trying to eat less, especially since you are already eating a bare minimum.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
You're just scrawny.)
I love you.

- Mark
Old 08-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Jason Vinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
so you get sleepy after eating your only starchy and processed foods in the whole day all at once? what was the question again...?

seriously man. you eat fruit in the morning with eggs. no starch. no processed food. you eat steak and veggies in the evening. no starch, no processed food. you feel good all morning and night. but at lunch you eat a sandwich from firehouse ( i love firehouse subs by the way!) which is starchy processed bread and whatever else you get on the sandwich. and after that you feel tired. i think it's pretty obvious the issue.

i use the syntrax nectar and really like, i find it to be a very good protein powder and taste good. however, i recommend a larger breakfast, mixing in some starch. mix in a little starch with dinner too. keep the fruits and veggies. and then at lunch try eating a well rounded meal. less processed food preferably. if you eat all your starchy carbs at one meal, and they are highly refined white bread, you can be sure to feel sleepy afterward.

on the other note, i agree you should probably be eating more. stop worrying about "getting lean" and start lifting heavy stuff and growing muscle. you might be suprised how lean you look when muscles start forming. plus the added workout intensity it takes to lift heavy coupled with the new muscle will boost your fat burning more than trying to eat less, especially since you are already eating a bare minimum.
I see what you mean. It was wheat bread but that's besides the point. I think its because I eat out at lunch and may need to start packing a lunch. I currently lift heavy. My box does heavy lifting before our WODs. So my sticking point is the nutrition. I usually eat when I'm hungry so do you have any suggestions on how much i should eat and of what food? I am a complete noob when it comes to nutrition.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

I used to get the same issue. I have eliminated simple starches (bread, oatmeal, rice, potatoes, sugar, bagels) from my meals and that solved the whole problem.

Also experiment with the way you are mixing food. Carb/protein ratios should be played with, and eliminating fruits during meals is a good idea. They actually ferment in the body unless eaten alone.

I am also not a Zone advocate for people trying to gain weight. Too restrictive, especially if you aren't used to it.

How old are you? I'm 22, 150lbs, and 5'11. I need 13 hours of rest a day - especially when CF'ing. You should really just consider a 20-40 minute nap after lunch. That would do the trick no matter what you are eating.

-sheldon