CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
Tony Arms

Profile:
I'm a big dawg with puppy experience

Iím just a mix of emotions. I did the lunge, pullup, situp WOD today. Last night I sat in front of my computer and convinced myself that I wasnít going to do the puppy version because Iím in shape damn it. I shouldnít even be doing the pack, Iím a big dogÖ..even though Iím only 2 weeks into this. So I get up at 4:30am and head to the gym. Itís a globo, I donít know what that means but I see everyone else type it. Itís not a crossfit gym. Todayís workout of choice for everyone was doing 315 ľ squats. Iím sure theyíve convinced themselves itís a full but theyíre lying to themselves. But I digress.

So I do my warm up and hammer out my first set of 100í lunges and head back into the room to do the pull ups. Iím not good a pull-ups. I canít do a real kip yet so I knew this was going to be a challenge. I have to keep breaking up my first set of 21 pull ups. After 4 or 5 breaks I finally get to 15. I start to feel like everyone is staring at me (the pullup apparatus creaks like a castle door) plus Iím not convinced I can keep doing pulls without jumping or doing beginner so I decide Iím a puppy for the day. Next set of 12 pullups is broken up a couple times, 9 is broken, 6 wasnít. Even the lunges were getting pretty burny at the end. As I laid under on the bench, 11:03 later I was exhausted and felt good at the same time. I did a couple sets of closed grip bench and headed home for breakfast. While Iím eating I start to get ****ed that I settled for puppy status. I could have broken up the extra 6 into 1 rep each if I had to but at least I wouldnít have wussed out. Then, the more I sit there the more fatigued I start to feel. Eating became a chore and I wanted to go back to bed with my wife. Iím wondering if being a puppy isnít so much about being weak but being smart enough to know that youíre not ready to kill yourself yet. I was a good ego check.

Why am I posting this? I donít know, because I makes me feel better to talk about it to someone that has maybe felt the same way instead of 315 ľ squat guy. All I know is Iím stoked about this even though I feel terrible for a few hours after. Iím hoping this excitement doesnít go away so when my contract expires I can add some pieces to my basement gym and quit hanging out with 315 ľ squat guy. Sorry this was so long.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: I'm a big dawg with puppy experience

Tony,
I know you know this but...there's no shame in "puppy" I started CF 3 years ago, being in "good shape" etc. I could do 90% of the WODs as rxed. I was solidly in the intermediate category. Over the course of the next two I stayed rxed right into overtraining nagging injuries mood changes, the full spectrum. This last year was reaping the consequences of that and I'm just now starting to snap out of that. I wish I had underestimated my ability and grew into it, rather than burning myself on the stake of ego and perceived ability.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Tony Arms

Profile:

Please don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to rip on 'puppy' status. I guess I was using this as a confessional that I need to learn to check my ego to prevent myself from overtraining. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Vanessa Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Arms View Post
Itís a globo, I donít know what that means but I see everyone else type it.
Had the same problem at first
Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa Lee View Post
Had the same problem at first
Rent the movie Dodgeball.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Tony Arms

Profile:

I see now...
http://www.truveo.com/Dodgeball-Glob.../id/3270136261
safe for work.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Mike Kerce

Profile:

dude puppy is hard if you do it high intensity. i like to try and do as rx'd and just scale the weights if i can. i.e. on this particular workout i did as rx'd except did my pullups on gravitron. the lunges got me. i still feel like someone hung my cheeks up and punched them like a speedbag.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
Vanessa Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Rent the movie Dodgeball.

Ah yes! Have actually seen that but had a long brainfreeze!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
John C Corona

Profile:

I HATE when I'm in the middle of the WOD, and say to myself - this is TOO MUCH. Like the first time I tried 120 pullups and dips - sitting there rep'ing out singles around 50 saying I think 60 is cool (I think I did 75). It happens a lot at first, but eventually your scaling estimates get better 'before' the WOD. Now, when I pick a scaling, I STICK with it...mid-WOD scaling doesn't happen anymore.

I had this globo-guy say, aren't you gonna use weight for them lunges? I just said 'not today, I'm doing 600ft'.

I saw Dodgeball again recently and realized where it came from too.

Last edited by John C Corona : 04-08-2009 at 10:48 AM.