CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 12-22-2003, 08:57 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

Hopefully, this conjures up a lot of statements:

As far as exercises such as the backsquat, pullup, or bench press go, how has crossfit helped you strengthwise to these lifts? For example: before crossfit, 1RM for backsquat was 200 and after 6 weeks of crossfit, it is 225.

Also, if there are any improvements in vertical leap, 40 yard sprint, max reps in pullups, etc.

my 1RM for benchpress was 175 in april, then I had wrist surgery and didnt workout till august which is when I started Crossfit. I never did benchpress until yesterday to test my 1RM, and I put up 200! Yes that is 8 months, but I never touched bench press once and it went up 25 pounds with about 4 months of crossfit. over 3 months bodyweight only exercises. Must have been the pushups.:wink:

Lets hear some success stories!

Cheers

Roy
Old 12-28-2003, 01:42 PM   #2
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Before Crossfit:
Back squats = struggled to complete 10 reps with body weight
Pull-up = usually completed 40 (over several sets) or so for a workout
Bench press = 250 max, and benched several times each week

After Crossfit (1yr):
Back Squat = 250lbs deep, no problem
Pull-up = usually complete ~80 (over several sets) for a workout
Bench press = don't care about max bench press anymore, but last I checked (last month) it was around 165% of my bodyweight.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:10 PM   #3
Roy

Profile:

Good gains Brad. How much do you weigh? Im currently in a quest for better leg strength and fat loss. I struggle with 5 reps on backsquatting my own bodyweight.

I Read Dan John's protocol for fat loss, and it's good stuff. It's a time to work on a weak bodypart (my legs) while losing fat. I'll keep you all posted on my progress. Im gonna be working the backsquat, overhead squat, and either clean or snatch. Most likely alternate.

Cheers

Roy
Old 12-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #4
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Roy,
I bounce between 172-174 now a days. Two years ago I was between 190-193.

You mentioned overhead squats... man those are soooo tough!

Brad
Old 12-29-2003, 10:51 AM   #5
Roy

Profile:

......And they are fun. They are one of the best snowboard modalities I've gotten into, as far as balance and core strength. The only problem with them is that I cannot lock out my right arm because of my wrist. It has no range of motion inward, as needed with snatches. I have to use a narrower grip, and my shoulders give out sooner. Other than that, They're among the best.

Cheers

Roy
Old 12-30-2003, 09:24 PM   #6
Steve Nugent

Profile:
Roy,
Did Showdown get pounded this wknd? If so, I might run up Wed.
Sorry to hijack-but I missed out on 71" @Bridger.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:06 PM   #7
Roy

Profile:

Steve,
Showdown was invaded with 42 inches in one snowfall!!! They got 15 more after that. I went sunday. Man, it was something else! Let me know if you wanna plan a trip. I forgot, are you a skier or a boarder?

Cheers

Roy
Old 12-31-2003, 05:13 PM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Before crossfit
Bench: 205
Back Squat: 235
Overhead squats: 95
Pullups: Lots

After crossfit (4 months)
Bench: 190
Back squat: 205
Overhead squats: 85
Pullups: Lots

This is ungood. Soon I'll be able to bench the bar...

;^(
Old 12-31-2003, 08:19 PM   #9
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Roy,

I've enjoyed some great successes since starting Crossfit early this summer. To say I'm pleased would be a tremendous understatement.

Non-aerobically challenged bar pullups: a very rare 22 (only if the moon and stars were lined up just so) to a consistent 25+
Tabata squats: weak 17ish to a strong 20-21
Ring dips: a very shaky 5 to a tight 21+
Beltless trap bar deadlifts: 250ish to being within a hair of 300
HSPU: barely 5 from the floor to 8 consecutive full rangers on high stools and 13 consecutive on the rings
One arm handstand holds: you have got to be kidding to over a minute with each arm
Muscleups: from 0 to many singles and sets of 4 consecutives
Full squat cleans: from 0 to a deep 95#
Lsits: 5 seconds at best to just under one minute
Planches: not a chance to an 11 second hold (only held it once for that long, but they are becoming longer more consistently)
400 meter run: hobbling to actually breaking the 2 min mark
1 mile run: barely able to do w/o walking to 7:25 time
5K run: extreme agony, lack of breath, plus the embarrassment of having to walk to a current average 24:20 time, no walking required!
10K run: not a chance (even if I would win a full set of Pfeil carving tools if I finished without walking) to completing the whole thing while running - very slowly, but I did it!

Of all the exercises I've learned or become stronger in this year, being able to run without dropping over has to be my greatest accomplishment. While running is certainly not the most fun or showy (unlike HSPUs, muscleups and deadlifts) and my times are slow, it has been and continues to be the greatest hurdle for me.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:04 AM   #10
Roy

Profile:

Kelly, I found that a good way to get your running up and actually enjoying it is

1. Try other aerobic activities like skiing, snowboarding, kickboxing, swimming(I cant swim, but if you can, do it), cycling, rowing, etc. trampolines seem to supercharge(literally) running for some reason. I ran a 7:25 mile before jumping for not even fifteen minutes for 5 consecutive days, and then I ran a mile in 6:08!

2. Breathe like your yawning the whole time. I think the beginning of the run is the hardest, and taking deep breaths to start out with helps you "ease" in.

3. Do not run with fists. have wrists loose.

4. Keep good posture

5. look around at everything if you're running outside. Not only is it more enjoyable, but it makes the time fly by faster and you will most likely end up running faster.

6. Think about other things besides running, including your goals. For example, if you're restoring a 69 Chevelle SS, think about what color you want to paint it, what cam profiles, ignition system, etc. Anything to take your mind off the running helps!

Cheers

Roy