CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Neil Baldwyn

Profile:
Is paleo the only way

Hi,

I work as a baker, and as such wheat is a big part of my life. I understand the health implications reported about consuming grains, but to be honest I love them. I have what I would consider to be a very healthy diet, consisting of mostly meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts, but I wanted to know if a non-paleo lifestyle was realistically that bad?

Cheers

Neil
Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Is paleo the only way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Baldwyn View Post
Hi,

I work as a baker, and as such wheat is a big part of my life. I understand the health implications reported about consuming grains, but to be honest I love them. I have what I would consider to be a very healthy diet, consisting of mostly meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts, but I wanted to know if a non-paleo lifestyle was realistically that bad?
It depends on who you ask. Some people see tremendous health improvements when they eliminate grains. Some people -- myself included -- have no particular issues with grains and see no reason to eliminate them.

What does your doctor say? If your health markers are fine, why change?

There's a big difference between having a few slices of artisanal bread every day and stuffing yourself with fancy pastries, too. Regardless of how you feel about grains, eating large amounts of sugar is not a great idea.

Katherine
Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Zach S

Profile:

No. Bread is awesome.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Summer Evert

Profile:

As I understand it, there are two main negative issues with grains: the antinutrients that cause microtears in the intestines, and the insulin release that occurs after ingestion. I'm one of those lucky people who doesn't feel the unhealthy effects from eating gluten (never had an autoimmune disease, I don't feel bloated after eating gluten, etc). BUT ever since reading the Crossfit Bible (read: The Paleo Solution) I have reduced my grain intake to almost zero, though I do cheat every now and then. Since doing so, I've not only lost a couple lbs but I've also noticed I'm not nearly as tired during the day as I used to be. Grains/starches/carbs produce insulin responses in the body, which lead to the crashing feeling shortly after eating. This effect is the main reason I'm not eating gluten, including gluten-free flours. Any grain intake equates to sugar in the bloodstream and subsequently a nap session later on. But if your goal isn't to feel less tired and you're not too concerned with shedding pounds at this point, I'd say grains aren't your enemy, as long as you're not sampling everything that emerges from your oven. Limiting your sugar intake in general is a great idea no matter who you are. It's not "the only way," but from numerous standpoints it's very beneficial.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Zach S

Profile:

I am the opposite. I went years on a strict paleo diet and felt like death. After a year of eating heavy grains i have much more energy and am a hell of a lot stronger.

I truly believe that grains are getting a bad rap for some other offenders like processed foods, HFCS and plant oils.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
I truly believe that grains are getting a bad rap for some other offenders like processed foods, HFCS and plant oils.
Absolutely agree. Wheat is probably the most benign of the ingredients in many commercial breads.

Katherine
Old 08-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Jason Wallis

Profile:

My humble opinion only... If you're getting the bulk of your nutrients from fresh fruits and veggies, meat and fish, and nuts and berries, eating grain based food won't hurt you. I do believe a diet too dependant on grains causes issues due to a lack of nutrients. Like everything else... balance is key.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Christina Daley

Profile:

It all depends on the person. Try a couple weeks totally paleo.. Now I see that I have serious issues with wheat and grains.. I never realized it before. Now, a little, and my stomach kills me, and I'm running for the restroom. Ugh.

Some people are fine. I buy ezekiel bread or alderado street bakery sprouted breads for my son and husband.

However, I think the average Americans diet is way more wheat/processed than we realize.

I was looking at a couple cakes people brought in to the breakroom this morning, they were from grocery stores and had about 70 ingredients in each (tiramisu and shortcake). That would cause serious bloating and stomach issues for me. Ugh.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Daley View Post
It all depends on the person. Try a couple weeks totally paleo.. Now I see that I have serious issues with wheat and grains.. I never realized it before. Now, a little, and my stomach kills me, and I'm running for the restroom. Ugh.

Some people are fine. I buy ezekiel bread or alderado street bakery sprouted breads for my son and husband.

However, I think the average Americans diet is way more wheat/processed than we realize.

I was looking at a couple cakes people brought in to the breakroom this morning, they were from grocery stores and had about 70 ingredients in each (tiramisu and shortcake). That would cause serious bloating and stomach issues for me. Ugh.
Some people definately have issues with wheat, I suspect even more people have issues with the 69 other ingredients in those cakes.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Christina Daley

Profile:

Well, yea, for sure.
I was just glad I resisted.