CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Sarah Isel

Profile:
Crossfit for and by women: your thoughts/opinions please!

A little background information about myself: When I started cf two years ago, I was very intimidated by the program. I had no prior experience as an athlete, had never picked up a barbell before, and I definitely didn't think of lifting when I heard the words "jerk" and "snatch." I had to learn everything as I went. I did not go to an affiliate (and really couldn't afford one at the time) so I was forced to watch tutorial videos, read articles about how to do new exercises, and read all of the comments posted on the daily WODs. Looking back, my entry into CF was quite a time consuming process. I now follow cffb programming and no longer need that encouragement, but I really do not think I would have ever stuck with it if not for the training/form tips and encouragement from my boyfriend in the beginning.

My first questions for all the women out there: How did you start crossfitting? Did you have prior experience with lifting? A friend's encouragement/support? Go to an affiliate? Learn everything on your own? Where did your drive come from to continue when you were confused or frustrated with new movements?

The reason I ask is because recently I introduced two friends to CF. They are both women who probably would never have started without my support. I believe that due to the rather intimidating nature of CF, most women, like me and my friends, would not just start on their own. I think this is a shame because I know first hand the positive impact CF has had on my life and now on the lives of my friends. I personally think more women (if not all) could benefit from a program like it that focuses on being fit for life rather than just being skinny as according to societal standards.

I am now thinking on a grander scale. Here is where my second set of questions comes in: If done in the right way, do you think an online CF strength and conditioning program made specifically by and for women would help them feel more comfortable entering this rather intimidating world of CF? I am talking video tutorials, testimonials, articles, support, and possibly message boards all made by and for women. This would be different from cf.com and brandx because it really would be just for women and their questions/concerns. It would also post women's weights and beginner variations for newbies who for example have never lifted a barbell in their life before (getting under a bar was one of my personal fears when starting CF-Now I cannot imagine life without a barbell).

I am not saying that women are unable to start cf like I did with cf.com and/or brandx. I know it is possible-I started that way (with my bf's support)! However, I am just saying that the way I did it was rather intimidating and time consuming especially without an affiliate. I think it may be easier for women to start with a program that specifically served their concerns and interests as regular/everyday women who are not athletes or have the support of an affiliate behind them. Do you all know of any program out there that already does this for women specifically? I know there is cfmom, but that is the only one I have seen. Thanks in advance for your input!

Sarah
Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:
Re: Crossfit for and by women: your thoughts/opinions please!

I think it's a great idea!

I started CF on my own and have yet to visit an affiliate. My motivation comes from seeing the amazing feats that other people can do and the gains that I make over time. I'm a bit of an outlier though, b/c I'm very independent and am comfortable doing activities in a solitary environment. I am also comfortable participating in male-dominated environments like ultimate, BJJ and fire-fighting. Most women aren't comfortable with solitary nor male-dominated environments.

I think having a website or some other resource that is focused on CF women would be very beneficial. A resource that is written with a woman's voice would be well received IMO. Break down stereo-types, educate and inspire.

As a side-note, I think the main-site does a pretty good job representing women in that they often have pics of women for the WOD and usually post a male's and female's time for the WOD. It's probably not enough to convince a woman to try CF, but they do seem to represent both sexes equally, which is pretty cool.

Last edited by Vickie Ellickson; 04-19-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Page Johnson

Profile:

I love the idea of anything that encourages women to lift and get strong.

I don't think I'd ever picked up a barbell before started CF with an affiliate, and definitely appreciate any and all lifting opportunities and coaching tips. It's become one of my favorites.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Isel View Post
My first questions for all the women out there: How did you start crossfitting?
started aged 58 after personal trainer left
Did you have prior experience with lifting?
not at all

A friend's encouragement/support?
nope
Go to an affiliate?
went to the affliiate my former personal trainer attended
Learn everything on your own?
Where did your drive come from to continue when you were confused or frustrated with new movements?
encouragement from CF trainers and my fellow CFers both male and female and younger LOL

I am now thinking on a grander scale. Here is where my second set of questions comes in: If done in the right way, do you think an online CF strength and conditioning program made specifically by and for women would help them feel more comfortable entering this rather intimidating world of CF? Thanks in advance for your input!

I cannot comment really on this as i know that without the support of the people at my affiliate i would NEVER have attempted CF.. the reason i had a personal trainer initiallyt was due to my lack of confidence in being able to exercise safely without injuring myself.. an age related fear i think. Now after nearly three years i will try anything and eventually find myself able to do stuff ( ie Toes to bar, strict pullups and pushups, 20" box jumps, handstands etc) that i could not do in my youth...

Sarah
cheers

Helen
Old 04-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Diane Curtiss

Profile:

It's interesting that your introduction to CF was similar to my own, Helen.

I am 55 now. About two years ago, I had a personal trainer at a local gym who left. One of the younger part time trainers noticed I had a few sessions left and offered to work with me. Initially, he had me do a few movements to see where I was at on the fitness spectrum, and one of the things he asked me to do was to toss a medicine ball to him as hard as I could. I looked at him a little funny and asked him if he was sure (I am not the most graceful person in the world, but I do have some strength). "It's Ok - throw it as hard as you can!"

Well, I didn't knock him over, but he had to take a couple steps back! That was when he said he had something to show me that he thought I might like -Crossfit. He is no longer at that gym, and neither am I. I followed his suggestion and joined a local affiliate.

That said, I am glad he did take the time and initiative to introduce me to CF. I doubt I would have had the knowledge or the nerve to try it on my own.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Krystal Chae Gentz-Palas

Profile:

This reply is for all of the women who previously replied, and the author of the original question. I am a really annoying spammer.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Amber Rowse-Simmons

Profile:

Hi
I'm brand new to crossfit and to the forum. I'm moving to a different city and once settled will be starting with an affiliate there. I found out about crossfit through my boyfriend at the time, but I never pursued it until now. It sounded really intimidating when I first heard about it, but after doing some research I realized how awesome it seemed! I think a place (forum, videos whatever) for women specifically would be helpful, definitely may be encouraging for women who are just starting out as well. Given that I fit that particular bill, I can relate and would definitely enjoy something like that.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
Sarah Isel

Profile:

Thank you ladies so much for your input! This is a project I have been thinking about for some time now, and you all have helped convince me of its worth. The website should be up and running by the end of the summer! I will keep you all updated!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
Amber Rowse-Simmons

Profile:

Very cool!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal Chae Gentz-Palas View Post
This reply is for all of the women who previously replied, and the author of the original question. I am starting a new blog, SPAM.com and I really need women like yourselves to provide me with feedback and possibly do some interviews to be features on the blog. If you are interested visit my blog and comment on a post, or email me at krystal@SPAM.com

Please spread the word. We all need a place to connect and share our experiences and advice.

Thank you!!
Ugh, this post again? Mods, please delete or modify her post so she stops hyping up her website. Thanks.

Last edited by Colin McLafferty; 05-08-2012 at 01:35 PM..