CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Bill H Ross

Profile:
Down in the dumps

Hey all, can anyone cheer me up? I've got 2 issues cooking this morning:

1. Detoxing Paleo, day 8 or so.
2. Hurt lower back squatting this morning.

So, I feel like crap (detox) and I hurt like hell (strain). I know I need to just rehab the back and stick with Paleo. Instead I feel like getting a burrito and crawling under a rock. Can anyone talk me off the ledge?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Diane Curtiss

Profile:
Re: Down in the dumps

I haven't been at this long enough to give you expert advice. But can certainly provide "tea & sympathy".
On your back issue, I did the same thing with a strain and, as long as you take care of yourself, it will get better and you will be back at it.
I learned a very hard lesson when I strained my back in addition to screwing up my left piriformis muscle - lots of mistakes - not paying attention to form, not properly warming up, not working with a qualified trainer who knew what they were doing - you name it. I had to go to a chiropractor for the first time in my life to help me get straightened out.
For almost two months I could not do deadlifts or squats. It was pretty discouraging, particularly since I was starting out. But I took the long view and did what I was supposed to do to help myself heal. I stayed away from the problem lifts, and did the stretchs, exercises and walking (religiously) as advised by the chiro. I was fortunate to be working with a trainer who was innovative enough to find other things that could be scaled into workouts - like the cycle and rower that would still work my legs, yet not bother my back.
I just recently got the okay to go back to squats and I actually think it feels better and is smoother than before I was injured.
Don't get discouraged - it will take time and patience. Look at the long term goal and take care of yourself.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Hang in there. I know the feeling of pain keeping you from doing what you want. It's temporary. Do what you need to do to get your back feeling better. Drink lots of water. If you aren't yet taking fish oil supplements, this is a good time to start. They are very helpful. Stay the Paleo course. Day 8 feels like month 8 in withdrawal years, but, the first two weeks are tough. It gets easier. Paleo is good for your back's recovery. It's worth it. Try to get as much full spectrum light as possible. If you get some sunny hours, take advantage of it. Also, there are full spectrum bulbs that are great supplements. That can also help the "down in the dumps aspect". Good luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I've been out for about a week and a half due to a lower back injury. No idea how it happened. I've only been able to bench press, do pullups and practice double-unders basically.

However, I got a PR in bench and weighted pullups and I have gotten pretty proficient at double-unders so I'm not really that depressed about it. =]

The paleo thing gets way easier. Quitting sugar was much easier than quitting cigarettes.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Bill H Ross

Profile:

Thanks all, your comments help!

Ironically, I decided that I would NOT do the normal CF Total today to avoid injury. Instead I planned on doing around 50-70% of PR for reps. Got into the squats, felt pretty good. Then went too far and did 85% of PR for 3 reps (205lbs). Decided to do 1 more round of 3 reps and on rep #2 got the lower back shooting pain. I thought my form was good. Was moving the weight well, in control, etc.

Now that I'm 41 I just don't think I want to attempt PR's anymore.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill H Ross View Post

You are just a baby....

no seriously, over 40 especially if body deconditioned by lots of nothing is different ball game, and very little is written about it that can be helpful (got to weed out all the junk written by people on HRT - I have never felt better - or HGH -I look ten year younger -)

you can do awsome stuff but -

takes longer to get a co-ordination, don't know why just does. Takes longer to recover, takes longer to get strong.

Been throwing in masters (3rd US Indoor last year) - and great path of self discovery. But as Gary John once said and it is true - 50 year old men fall in a crater -- stay out of the crater.

other truism comes from Dan John -at 50+ (you will be there soon) the two most important things are hypertrophy and mobilty.

Rest, recover, plan , move forward, good luck..
Old 01-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
Andrew Roden

Profile:

I am 43, discovering the joys of hip flexor tendonitis due to lack of stretching and focus on Olympic lifting. Keep chin up and press on...
Old 01-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks all, your comments help!

Ironically, I decided that I would NOT do the normal CF Total today to avoid injury. Instead I planned on doing around 50-70% of PR for reps. Got into the squats, felt pretty good. Then went too far and did 85% of PR for 3 reps (205lbs). Decided to do 1 more round of 3 reps and on rep #2 got the lower back shooting pain. I thought my form was good. Was moving the weight well, in control, etc.

Bill

Take care and have patience. There is much to do without loading the spine. Work on a skill, etc. Hope you heal fast!

Last edited by Suzanne Campbell; 01-18-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
Tracy Zak

Profile:

Quote:
Hey all, can anyone cheer me up? I've got 2 issues cooking this morning:

1. Detoxing Paleo, day 8 or so.
2. Hurt lower back squatting this morning.

So, I feel like crap (detox) and I hurt like hell (strain). I know I need to just rehab the back and stick with Paleo. Instead I feel like getting a burrito and crawling under a rock. Can anyone talk me off the ledge?

Thanks!
"Be patient and tough....this pain will be useful to you" It's a latin quote I have tattooed on my calf, and I have to refer to it over and over. I'm dealing with knee injuries since July and a new injury which is frustrating since I lost 80 lbs. (foot pronation and bad knee to ankle angle is prob the cause) I used to back squat 185, and now I'm on air squats and sometimes 35 lb goblet squats. I focus on what I can do, and just push through. Stay the course and be tough...its in you.