CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Linda Sharps

Profile:
How do newbies typically progress with WOD results?

Hi everyone,

I started CrossFit in late September, going through about 4 weeks of fundamentals classes before joining the big kids in the box. : ) I thought I'd ask you experts about how long it took before you started experiencing noticeable improvements in your workouts. I've definitely gotten better at some of the technique-y stuff, but I'm consistently one of the slowest—if not THE slowest—to complete a WOD (and always at the beginner level). While I do realize it's not a competition, I'd hoped by now I would start seeing my name creep up the board . . . . hell, just a *little*.

I try and go 4 days/week, and I typically eat a fairly clean/mostly paleo diet. What are your thoughts on how a newbie progresses—will it take a few more months to see significant strength/endurance gains? Should I just quit worrying about it and do the freaking WOD? ; )

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Dean Okazaki

Profile:
Re: How do newbies typically progress with WOD results?

Hi Linda,

I started CF'ing mid last year (June'ish) as well. It takes a good grasp on the fundamentals to just complete the WODs. I found that once I was comfortable with the fundamentals I was able to stop thinking and just 'attack' the WOD.

Do you find you are better at some WODs than others? It's good to keep a workout log so you can note what your weaknesses are and work on them...

Best of luck!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Jason Martin

Profile:

Are you pushing yourself hard enough? Are you consistently going past your comfort zone?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Sharps View Post
Hi everyone,

I started CrossFit in late September, going through about 4 weeks of fundamentals classes before joining the big kids in the box. : ) I thought I'd ask you experts about how long it took before you started experiencing noticeable improvements in your workouts. I've definitely gotten better at some of the technique-y stuff, but I'm consistently one of the slowest—if not THE slowest—to complete a WOD (and always at the beginner level). While I do realize it's not a competition, I'd hoped by now I would start seeing my name creep up the board . . . . hell, just a *little*.

I try and go 4 days/week, and I typically eat a fairly clean/mostly paleo diet. What are your thoughts on how a newbie progresses—will it take a few more months to see significant strength/endurance gains? Should I just quit worrying about it and do the freaking WOD? ; )

Thanks for your help!
Welcome, I'm pretty much in the same boat, I started early September and did 4 weeks of intro before joining group. Unless you were very fit beforehand, you have to remember that as you are gaining months onto your cumulative time as a crossfitter, so are the others you train with. While people who have been doing it a long time won't have as significant improvements as a beginner, they are still improving, so you may be at the back of the pack for a long time... or until someone new joins

Basically don't worry about what other people are doing, compete with yourself, as was mentioned LOG LOG LOG! Track everything you do, you will see improvements in areas that are unique to YOU. For me, I've plowed thru bands on ring dips from green to blue to red, basically down one per month my improvement there has been really fast, but then on pullups I have yet to get a single chin to bar pullup on even the biggest band even though I've been working specifically at it. You can't let that get you down, as long as you are improving in some areas, and just focus even more on the things you want to get better at. The other thing is to do benchmarks regularly and compare your progress either getting closer to RX or having faster time (you probably will not usually see significant results that have both) - i.e. from Nov 1st to Nov 30th I went from 43 lbs to 45lbs for Fran and took 2 minutes off my time. If you aren't seeing significant improvements in your benchmarks, then you need to address it with your trainer, if they are any good they will be able to help you reach your goals.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Glenn Goody

Profile:

I started last Aug. I've always lifted off and on but not Crossfit.I have spent the fall trying to just get my strength up. One of my goals was to complete Rx WODs with out scaling. I have meet people that are lvl 1 cert and have been xfitting for 3 years they say they still have to scale some stuff. I guess that we are all in the same boat. Strive to get better than last time.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Linda Sharps

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Martin View Post
Are you pushing yourself hard enough? Are you consistently going past your comfort zone?
Sometimes I wonder. I mean, I'm definitely pushing myself, I *feel* like I'm leaving it all on the floor, I'm sucking wind like a...I don't know, some kind of wind sucker—but there's always the nagging question if I could have worked a little harder. That seems like part of the learning process too, maybe? Figuring out where your real limits are?

Thanks for listening, you guys.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I started CrossFit about a year and a half ago. In my opinion, being able to do every workout as Rx'd is more important than how your time compares to other people.

I started out at 135 pounds and even the bar felt heavy. I had never done any kind of working out before CF. I was weak and slow. Now, I am 170ish pounds and consistently rank in the top 5 for workouts at my box, besides the WODs with friggin' double-unders. Sigh.

From my experience watching females at my affiliate, they seem to be better, naturally, at technique-based movements but seem reluctant about throwing heavy weight around. Almost as if they're afraid. I'm sure it's probably a confidence issue but they lack the explosiveness. Don't be afraid of anything. Focus on your technique to begin with, then throw that sh*t around as hard as you possibly can and you'll progress. It's impossible not to.

Learning your limits is a HUGE part of it. Going beyond those limits is an even bigger part of it. It is natural to want to rest when you're gasping for breath. Don't. Pick the bar up again. You won't die, I promise.

Don't be afraid to eat, also.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You say you're eating clean--are you eating enough? What about sleep? Recovering and coming back stronger and faster requires enough calories and sleep.

Gains for beginners should (in theory) be faster than gains for experienced athletes because beginners have a lot more room for improvement and because they aren't likely to induce a large enough systemic stress that they can't recover from before their next workout. If you aren't seeing any appreciable gains in your lift numbers or benchmark workouts over your first 4 months of CF you should discuss it with your trainer and figure out what the problem is.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
I'm consistently one of the slowest—if not THE slowest—to complete a WOD (and always at the beginner level). While I do realize it's not a competition, I'd hoped by now I would start seeing my name creep up the board . . . . hell, just a *little*.
Seems like you are comparing your times to other peoples and not your own. How are YOUR times improving? This is the only way to see if you're improving, I bet you have improved way more than you think. Do you keep a log? Moreover, theoretically, the other cf'ers at your gym will be improving also so relative to them, you would stay in the same place!

And nothing wrong with treating like a competition.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder. I mean, I'm definitely pushing myself, I *feel* like I'm leaving it all on the floor, I'm sucking wind like a...I don't know, some kind of wind sucker—but there's always the nagging question if I could have worked a little harder. That seems like part of the learning process too, maybe? Figuring out where your real limits are?

Thanks for listening, you guys.
Do you ever reach a point in the wod where you are "resting" (aka sucking wind) more than you are doing the movements? If you are getting this then (as my gym likes to say) you're no longer actually doing the wod. Some wods have rests built in intentionally, others do not, and when you take long rests in wods where its not intended you are missing the desired effort. Unfortunately, its mostly a mental thing, you will not catch your breath during a wod, its just a fact, resolve to limit your rests during a wod to two or three slow deep breaths then get back at it.