CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-31-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Hello, my name is Paul, and I'm a 43yo man in San Jose, California. I've been doing strength training (mainly classic powerlifting) for over 10 years, and I'm reasonably strong, but by the standards in CFJ's "What is Fitness" essay and as set in the WODs I'm in truly sorry shape. I hope to change that.

Looking over the list of affiliates, it appears that there is no Crossfit-affiliated gym within 50 miles of me. I work out at Golds for the most part at the moment, and I can do quite a bit there, but it seems that with Crossfit Central down in Santa Cruz and at least two other affiliates in the Bay area, there's just got to be other Crossfit people in the San Jose area.

At the moment, my plan is to start by following the WOD regimen as closely as I can given the gym facilities I have available (I'll be trying to assemble a garage gym, but that's going to be a long-term project). I'll also mix in a few workouts of my own such as Scrapper's workouts from www.trainforstrength.com. But I'm interested in finding someone in the San Jose area who is also following this program.

Is there anyone out there who wants a raw newbie as a training partner?

--Paul
Old 08-31-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Paul:

Welcome to CrossFit! I hope you find someone to train with there in San Jose. Like you, I gotta believe that there must be some CrossFitters in Santa Clara County. And your plan sounds like a good one.

But, speaking as someone who lived for 15 years in the Bay Area, 5 or 6 in Santa Clara County (Downtown, Capital Expway, and Cupertino, mostly): I'd crawl over broken glass to Santa Cruz for the opportunity to train at CrossFit Central . . . even if it was only once a month.

Seriously, the "mother ship" in Santa Cruz is a pretty welcoming place . . . I'd urge you to find a way to train there at least occasionally. The spirit there is absolutely astounding . . . you will definitely work out harder there than you ever thought you could, just because of the vibe. Individual workouts there are well worth the investment.

It can't be more than 35 miles from downtown San Jose (maybe you're up in Alviso?). Since I'm now 2,936 miles from Soquel (according to MapQuest) your situation sounds pretty good to me :happy:

Best of luck,
David Wood
Old 08-31-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
It's actually about 39 miles from my home in South San Jose to the gym in Soquel. That's a nominal 50 minute drive over the hill each way, and as you know if you lived in this area Hwy 17 is unpredictable at the best of times.

What that means is that this is something that I can look to do on the weekends once in a while (and I will), but it's not something that I can plan as a practical part of my daily workout. I'm thinking once or twice a month will be ambitious enough at least to start. For the rest, I'm on my own or with a training partner if I can find one.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:22 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Paul:

I apologize if it seemed like I was harassing you . . . and I'll certainly agree on two things:

a) Hwy 17 is a pain (50 minutes to an hour is what it will take, if you're lucky . . . kinda far to commute daily for a 20-minute near-death experience (I mean the WOD, although Hwy 17 is sort of a NDE some days, too).

b) It's good to have a training partner. I don't really have anyone who does the WOD exactly, but until recently I had the pleasure of training with a real maniac who would definitely push me very, very hard (his knees were kinda shot, so he couldn't do some of the WOD stuff, but he was a monster on the C2 rower and chinups). He recently moved to Florida, and his manic energy is missed by all of us who train at that hour.

So, I hope you do connect up. It might be possible to just start doing the WOD at Golds, or other public place . . . if there's someone there who recognizes it, they might just have the courage to speak to you.

Oh, and, you'll certainly get stared at . . . it's not a position for the bashful :crazy:.

Dave
Old 08-31-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
I didn't take it badly David.

I did my first WOD today - Helen. I didn't quite complete it, but my body was giving me signals that said I needed to stop. I haven't had my *** kicked that badly in a workout since basic training.

But, it can only go up from here, so I do hope some other South Bay person hooks up with me. Perhaps a message board where people could post looking for training partners would be a good idea?

BTW, what position were you talking about?:proud:

--Paul
Old 09-01-2004, 04:22 AM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Community...
Old 09-01-2004, 09:40 AM   #7
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Ah. I wondered what happened to my thread. I looked for it where I had left it and it was gone. I was wondering what I could possibly have said wrong.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:17 AM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Paul,
It wasn't anything you said - we like to keep the "Crossfit in xx location" posts in the Community section, so when one wanders astray, I herd it over here. Sorry to have confused you!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:15 PM   #9
Mike M

Profile:  
Crossfit San Jose will be opening soon!
Old 09-04-2004, 01:02 AM   #10
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
<perk> Where can I get more info on this, Mike?