CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-05-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
Courtenay Brimer

Profile:  
It was awesome to see the kids class started in Satna Cruz!!
Have not seen any posts in my hunting yet and was wondering how it went. You know...what the routine was, how many kids there was vs trainers, and how the kids responded.
They sure looked like they were having fun in the pics.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
Lani Lau

Profile:

The kids class was amazing. We had our second class on February 5 and it was even sweeter. There were five kids and five instructors. Our plan is to have a near one to one ratio instructor/kid for the first several classes.

Nicole and Cill came up with the workout and all the trainers led and coached.

-400M run

-Opening Circle with introductions and "rules"
(don't touch anything you are not told too, ask questions, have fun)

-Joint rotations

-Half Tabata: Squat/Curly balls on the paralettes/vertical jumps

-Circut: Rope climb to a low knot/box jum (10 and 20 inch box)/Jump though on the paralettes/wall ball (to a lower target with the 4 lb ball). Thirty plus seconds at each station with a fast rotation.

Parents were there and participating to some degree.
The kids were very focused and really just wanted more. They were eager to climb the rope to the ceiling, maybe next time.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I started my son on Brand X MA (Jeff Martin's site) kids WOD. I'm adding basic gymnastic moves for warmup and cooldown. He is really digging it, but I have to watch him the whole time, 9 year olds don't have the whole form thing down! I started working handstands with him (did not work well) until I remembered I learned a Tripod, then headstand, then handstand...baby steps. Can't imagine where these little one's are going to be in 10 years!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
"Can't imagine where these little ones are going to be in 10 years!"

Either kicking our collective a$$es, or pushing us around in our wheelchairs!! My son will probably be doing the former, not the latter!:proud:
Old 02-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
I second Lani's assessment that the kids class was great. It was well structured and still super fun for the kids... and us too! It is fast becoming my favorite class to coach. I am amazed at how coachable most kids are and also how willingly and playfully they do the workouts.

There was some parental participation - I have been contemplating both the benefits and drawbacks of having the parents present and involved. Mostly I have thought it's good for the parents to be exposed to Crossfit (maybe they will even try it themselves), and it's good for Crossfit to have the exposure but is it good for the kids? Maybe there is no one answer as all parent/child relationships are different. And, perhaps ultimately we would just learn through experience how to manage both parents and children to keep the vibe of hard work, positivity and support... I'd love to hear any ideas or experiences others have/had around this issue.
Thanks.

BTW I'm Nicole. I train and coach at HQ in Santa Cruz and I lurk all the time but this is my first post on the message board :happy:
Old 02-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
Mike Burgener

Profile:
and nicole is one heck of an olympic lifter....you should see this chic lift weights. born again hard!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
Pat Janes

Profile:

Along with Larry, and Michael Pearce, I've also got my son (10) and nephew (15) doing Jeff's WOD-4-Kids...

They're having great fun doing it (well, Christopher (10) is anyway) and work really hard at it. Christopher particularly after almost a month, is becoming a machine with his workrate.

Form is a pretty big issue - squats (flexibility, complexity), pushups (ROM), pullups (lack of strength) etc... but the progress is amazing. I've had a lot of success with squat form, by introducing OHS with a stick into warmups.

The mind boggles as to what kind of athletes will result from beginning this kind of training at such an early age... I wish I'd found it 20-25+ years ago.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
Laura Rucker

Profile:
My four year old is doing 1-2 WOD a week from Jeff's Crossfit for Kids. He loves it. His ROM and form actually has improved with just a couple of months of WOD but at this point it's the enthusiasm that I am looking for. He did some incline handstand pushups off the end of his bed tonight - his idea. I might try that off the back of a dining room chair. He inspired ME!

*play time*
Old 02-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #9
Clay Jones

Profile:

Lani, any chance you could post the next few set of kid's workouts on the site somewhere? I am interested in starting a Crossfit style class for kids at my school (I teach 5th grade in Novato, CA) and I'm still thinking about how to structure the workouts. I'll probably use my own 5th graders as guinea pigs for a while, until I get things figured out.:happy:
Old 02-09-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Clay,
You are welcome to stop by our site www.brandxmartialarts.com and check out the CrossFit for kids section in our forums. We post a daily workout for kids. We have a couple of teachers using it in elementary schools here. Maybe I can get them to post what they are doing. I've had great success implementing CrossFit into our kids kenpo program. We have classes of up to 35-40. If you want some of those workouts I would be happy to email them to you.
Good Luck!
Jeff