CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Ken Froese

Profile:
Does anyone use a boxing round timer for Kettlebell work? I was hitting the heavy bag today and left the timer running and started doing KB work. I was not concerned about reps, I just worked until the timer went off. This may be nothing new to most of you,But I thought it was an awesome way to do light KB work. I'm real psyched about it.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Hi Ken. I don’t use a round timer when using the heavy bag. Instead, I use one of those digital egg timers that beep after the pre-set time goes off. It’s funny you should mention your routine, although my approach is slightly different. I incorporate other CF style routines along with my bag work. I set my timer for 5 minutes and then go into my bag workout. When the timer goes off, I then do a round of SDLHP(sumo deadlift high pulls) with 40 or 50lb DBs. Next, I do a round of burpees and follow that up with a round of pull/chin ups. What that means is I do about 6 dead hang pull ups then right away do a set of 6 chin ups. I will rest for about a minute or two then I will continue the whole business all over again….bag work, SDLHP, burpees, dual pull/chin ups. I do this for about 4 rounds overall and by then I am dying and my arms feel like lead. I keep my numbers low from my other routines when doing them with my bag work but it still kills me. This home-made WOD definitely increases my overall cardio, stamina and conditioning. Like you, I like to up my intensity and try out different things along with my bag work.
Keep having fun!:biggrinthumb:
Old 04-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Try this, you can set any work or rest interval.

work safe: www.gymboss.com

www.newjerseycrossfit.com
Old 04-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Ken Froese

Profile:
Peter
What kind of gloves are you using when you hit the bag, that you can get them off quickly and do other exercises then hit the bag again. I know very little about boxing training. The gym I belong to coaches boxing, jujitsu etc. So I took a few boxing lessons just to learn to hit the heavy bag for a cardio workout on the days my legs are fried. I'm using hand wraps and Everlast heavy bag gloves that are a pain to get on. I have no aspirations to spar, the thought of getting punched in the face at 38 is not very appealing to me.:happy:. But, I do enjoy hitting the bag as a work out. I also like your idea of hitting the bag and jumping to different exercises. If I can do something different about my gloves I would definitely try that.

Thanks

(Message edited by the_dude on April 19, 2007)

(Message edited by the_dude on April 19, 2007)
Old 04-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Ken, I use the gel Gloves by Everlast. I have the traditional bag gloves also, but when I want to do my other routines on specific days I use the gels because I don't have to take the gloves off at all. They offer great protection for the hands against the bag and also flexibility for handling other objects. I use them for grappling the bag when doing knee strikes also in conjunction with striking. They are great for multiple training routines, that's what they are designed for in the first place....sort of like JKD gloves. There are others here who may not care for them but hey, to each his/her own and they work for my routine.:msn-wink:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/40229.jpg
You can get them for under $30.00 at any sports store or on the Everlast web site. the nice thing is I don't have to use my hand wraps under the gel gloves like I have to for the traditional kind. I even saw them on Walmart's web site for $19.00
Old 04-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
BTW, don't forget to get a mouthpiece. It helps in forcing you to keep your mouth tightly closed and from vibrating due to the punches. This will prevent subsequent tongue and/or inner jaw bitting. Also, it helps in forcing you to breath from your nose which aids in increasing your overall stamina so you won't gas out after 1 minute of pounding the bag. I use the kind for the upper teeth only, that's good enough for non-sparring.