CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Joel Godfrey

Profile:
Re: Training 30 y/o, 330# male who hasnt worked out in years!!!

And to those trainers out there -

Never give up on someone. Life experiences play a toll on people. Often times people need help realizing their inner warrior, realizing that they CAN do something. What may seem easy to one person is an absolute struggle for others.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Diane Curtiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Godfrey View Post
And to those trainers out there -

Never give up on someone. Life experiences play a toll on people. Often times people need help realizing their inner warrior, realizing that they CAN do something. What may seem easy to one person is an absolute struggle for others.
Bravo! Your cousin is very lucky to have you,and to know that you care enough about his health and future to help him out. Best of luck to both of you on the journey!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Godfrey View Post
Thank you all for the replies. My cousin is bringing it daily!!! Today we did the following:

Deadlift work (form, light weight, explaining how it leads to other lifts, explaining benefits of the DL)

Workout:

- 40 burpees
- 40 ab mat sit-ups
- 50 kb swings (he liked these, 35# bell)
- 40 body weight rows (not quite to pullups)
- 20 box jumps, 12" box
- 10 dips on huge tire

I based this off of Tuesday's workout. We split all exercises up into 10 reps each until we hit the magic numbers. He views the elephant as much smaller doing them 10 at a time.

He did awesome!!! Friday squat / tire sled work and we will work on form.

The positive reinforcement is working. I am cautiously optimistic...and learning so much at the same time. I'm certified level 1 but it's so cool to see the rubber meet the road and put things into motion.

He has had zero pop since our talk. Will be working on diet also...

I recommend the positive attitude as well vs the yelling method. He needs to hear he is doing good, but yet is being pushed very hard. One man I've learned a lot about being positive from is Rudy Reyes. He is a friend and someone that is so positive...it really helps.

All in all, great start. He is getting more and more hungry for improvement. He is going to quit smoking shortly.

Just thought I'd update everyone. Crossfit really IS for ANYONE.
Not to threadjack, but is that "Generation Kill"-style Rudy Reyes?

Back to the point--as others have mentioned make sure you ease him into things. Small changes will have big effects for him. Kicking soda was a good start; next would be something like no dessert. Then replace bread/pasta/grains with fruits and vegetables. And so on. Lots of fish oil will help him too.

Take things slow workout-wise and don't neglect strength work. Getting him squatting and deadlifting and pressing will help him add some muscle which will make fat burning easier and also do good things for him from a hormonal standpoint.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #14
Joel Godfrey

Profile:

Eric -

Yes, "the" Rudy Reyes. He's definitely become a mentor to me, and I'm pretty lucky to have spent some time around him. I love his positive attitude and "can do" ideology he uses in life and workouts. I've been very lucky to workout with him some, and I've learned a LOT. I use the "keep your mouth shut and ears open" so I can be a sponge and learn from him.

We are working on heavy lift FORM daily. When the form is down we will definitely be stepping up the game on olympic lifts. He will dominate them!

Friday we will squat with weight for the first time and I will introduce him to my homemade tire sled. Should be another day of encouraging progress for him. I'm still learning (arent we all?) so I always welcome advice and tips.

Thank you all for the input!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #15
Joel Godfrey

Profile:

And Eric, surprisingly enough he NEVER has eaten desserts. I remember even as a kid he never ate desserts.

His catch will be the boxed pizzas and horrid salty foods. The only sweet food he likes is soda.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 AM   #16
Joel Godfrey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Curtiss View Post
Bravo! Your cousin is very lucky to have you,and to know that you care enough about his health and future to help him out. Best of luck to both of you on the journey!
I am just so happy that he is willing to make the change. I see so much talent that he doesn't recognize...and that he has wasted through the years. Low confidence plagues him, but I see his warrior spirit and confidence growing with every workout. It's very encouraging. I train him, but don't forget, he is training me and expanding my training knowledge. It's reciprocity in a way!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 AM   #17
Bethany France

Profile:

Hi Joel,
I am no trainer and actually really new to this Crossfit/Paleo lifestyle. I am in the same situation as your cousin...I am 33 and overweight and haven't worked out in years and years. I don't know if this will help at all but I hav been blogging my experience. Maybe if he read about someone going through a similar experience?

http://www.fatmomtohealthymom.blogspot.com/

Let me know....tell him he can always email me if he wants to talk to someone else going through it too...It sucks to feel alone.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #18
Joel Godfrey

Profile:

Bethany -

Thank you for the info! I will certainly pass it along to him as yet another tool on his belt to progress. And good luck to you! Use these forums...lots of great people/info!