CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Linda Sharps

Profile:
Re: How do newbies typically progress with WOD results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Do you ever reach a point in the wod where you are "resting" (aka sucking wind) more than you are doing the movements? If you are getting this then (as my gym likes to say) you're no longer actually doing the wod. Some wods have rests built in intentionally, others do not, and when you take long rests in wods where its not intended you are missing the desired effort. Unfortunately, its mostly a mental thing, you will not catch your breath during a wod, its just a fact, resolve to limit your rests during a wod to two or three slow deep breaths then get back at it.
Never for longer than the active portion, but depending on the WOD I do sometimes stop and breathe (between sets of burpees, say), or put the weight down for a couple moments or something. I tend to do this when I'm feeling like DEATH IS IMMINENT if I don't catch my breath, or if I'm nearing failure on lifts, or if long sets of something awful (like burpees, say) seems mentally easier if I break into manageable chunks.

Better to just power through even if it means slowing down overall, you think? To clarify, these aren't LONG rest periods, just 3-10 seconds or so.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Brian Bedell

Profile:

"these aren't LONG rest periods, just 3-10 seconds or so."

This is normal.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
Noel Anderson

Profile:

Hi Linda,
I don’t actually have any advice for you. Rather I just wanted to let you know I’m in the exact same boat as you. It can be really frustrating when you work hard to excel at CF and to gain personal strength and speed, but just don’t see results as quickly as you’d like. sigh….

Anyway, I hope you’re sticking with the program and that you’re starting to achieve your desired results/goals.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
Michael Jarossy

Profile:

I was a complete newbie to Crossfit in July, and I did not work out prior to that. For the first couple of months, I was pretty much dead last in all the WoDs. Hell, even some of the women were beating me on lifts.

Now that I've been working my *** off for the past couple months, I have seen pretty substantial improvements in my weights and times. You'll get there, as long as you put in the work. Just stick with it.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 AM   #15
Tracey Blackman

Profile:

I don't frequent this forum very often as I tend to hang out at Brandx but I saw your post and just wanted to give my 2 cents/pence worth if I may..

2 things..

a) I know its great to compare yourself to others but for a start you need to know that you're improving and the easiest way to do that is :- are you getting better compared to yourself??
I don't work out at a box I workout home alone (for over a year now) with the support of the online brandx community (who are brilliant and provide excellent scalling by the way) When I first started and doing all these different workouts I was unsure if was getting any better but the first time a wod came up that I had done before I could compare to my notes and see if I kept the weight/reps the same I could do it faster = improvement or if I up'd the weight and did it it the same time = Improvement
- I strongly advise you log all your workouts then you can compare and know that you are improving - sometimes it will only be a few secs/lb but normally early on it will be minutes/lbs as you get used to the movements etc.

b) Are you trying too hard?? I know I got to a point where I felt everything was so hard / a slog to do and I wasn't seeing any inprovements - I wanted to do more weight and do it faster and kept piling on the weigth and trying do up the scaling board.
One day I was not feeling on top form and so I did a wod but lowered the scalling (it felt a little like going backwards) as I thought doing the wod with less weight was better than not doing the wod at all.
Anyway I felt great, I managed to do the wod and although under par I recovered from it well and the penny dropped! I did a few more and I noticed more improvements in my body - ie body fat started to drop, the movements got easier and faster and then I could add the weight on and still keep up with my previous times - it was one of those lightbulb moments for me - work smarter not harder! If you try to progress too quickly you actually end up stalling or worse going backwards.
So I would say back off a little, make sure you log your results and compare to yourself and see if you feel any better, see better results. Then will probably shoot up the board without even trying. I'm also suprised that your box trainers have not advised you the same?

Best of luck - sometimes less is more!! Stick with it though - Crossfit is Awesome!

Last edited by Tracey Blackman; 01-23-2011 at 04:39 AM..
Old 01-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #16
Diane Curtiss

Profile:

Thank you for asking this quetion, Linda. I just did my first real class yesterday (AMRAP) , and, as I suspected I would be, was the slowest. It was pretty discouraging. But after reading your thread and the comments, I know it is possible to work on improvement - and also not be so hard on myself about being the last one to finish. Good luck on your progress!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Beginners are typically the slowest--that's nothing to worry about. If beginners consistently beat people who had been doing the workouts for awhile, then trainers would have to question the effectiveness of what they'd been doing with their longtime clients. Just continue to focus on improving your results, not necessarily how you finish in relation to others.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
David Fletcher

Profile:

If you want to get faster focus on performing each rep with perfect form and increasing the weights you use, and not worrying about the clock. It'll be slow at first and possibly for a long time, but pretty soon you'll have the same time but with 20 lb more weight used. At that point if you were to drop your weight down to where it was originally, you would absolutely wreck your old time.

It may not be the most satisfying approach on a daily basis, but over time you will pass by people that always use the same weight and just try to be faster.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
Chad Anderson

Profile:

Wife and I have been in for 2 months and I am still generally one of the last to finish each WOD. The only people I tend to finish ahead of are the newcomers and people who miss weeks at a time.

I have a strength background, so I am working on figuring out which workouts to scale. I would rather do the WOD at RX and get a slower time that to go withe the lower weight for a quicker time. Our trainer is working with me to determine when the RX weight is interfering with my ability to keep my intensity up. They would rather me scale back slightly and keep pressing through with intensity than to get to a place where I am being exhausted by poor form and resting more than 3-4 breaths.

My wife is an ex-collegiate runner so she is already getting to where she is finishing first in many WOD's and now is working on building her strength up to RX. Most people will not be able to keep up with her...certainly not me!

I really don't care too much what others can do. This is like Track, Swimming, Golf or other individual sports. Object is to beat our own PR's. Keep pushing yourself forward and give yourself credit for the progress you've made!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #20
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

I think one of the biggest things I noticed when I first started that helped prove to me that I was making progress was my actual recovery time post-wod, like the 5, 10, 15 mins after. At first I couldnt do anything after finishing but suck wind. Now my recovery has become a lot better and within a short period of time I am ready to move onto other stuff.