CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Seniors

Since this thread started, I have signed up a 63 year old woman and 58 year old man from my box to our powerlifting team - neither of them had significant strength training in their lives... they just saw our team working out over the past few weeks, were intrigued and wanted to join.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
Nina Sugamori

Profile:

I currently use CrossFit principals and patterning with a 60 year old, a 72 year old, a 67 year old and a 75 year old. I am interested to share reports of the specific abilities and progressions that they exhibit when benefiting from following CrossFit. So, I agree that a special sector isn't necessary, but specialized sharing of progress might be fabulous!

I am 47 and expect to only improve by pursuing the CrossFit WoD's. No one else is encouraging me to conquer ring dips, increase my deadlifts and overhead squats.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
Bob D Pratt

Profile:

While I'm not the oldest poster on this thread, I do get crap in the mail from AARP on a regular basis. My first reaction to the thread was . but I re-read it and believe your heart is in the right place but at least for me a 'special' crossfit class for seniors is an insult.

Imagine if someone suggested a 'special' class for shorter people or a special class for women (because they are so delicate.)

Katherine: What are "the particular strength and mobility issues associated with aging"?
Adam: What are "the specific needs of CF Seniors with mobility issues"?

EVERYBODY has strength/ mobility issues, people have injuries, people have imbalances, disabilities, challenges.
The beauty of crossfit is it's ability to adapt to the abilities of the user. To single out one segment of the population is insulting and decreases the worth of the whole.

I know his was not your intent: BUT... do everyone a favor, find a way to include different groups into our family. Visit a masters sports program or Special Olympics and encourage people to stop by your gym. Go to the V.A. and see if there are disabled vets in the area.
DO NOT make a "special" class for them, involve them in your regular classes and everyone will benefit.
Thanks for reading.... now it's time for my Metamucil and my nap.... wake me up for bingo
Old 12-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D Pratt View Post
Katherine: What are "the particular strength and mobility issues associated with aging"?
I'm sorry you found my post insulting. The fact that people *on average* lose mobility and strength as they age is, however, pretty well documented.

I have an older relative who recently had to spend some time in an assisted living facility. She fell and broke her elbow, and discovered that without use of her arms she wasn't able to get out of a chair without help. That's just one example of an age-related strength and mobility issue.

Katherine
Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Masters athletes have three key issues that should be addressed by their coach:

A higher rate of pre-existing injuries and mobility issues
A reduced rate of recovery between workouts
An increased need for scaled-down workouts, sometimes drastically so.

The interest in intense fitness programs also drops off starting at age 40. Coach B's Saturday "Old Man Workouts" are one-third the size of his former Oly lifting sessions. When I lived in Sedona (median age 50) selling Crossfit was much tougher than in San Diego or Flagstaff (median age 27).

The problem I've seen is that the coaching requirements are the same as for younger Crossfitters except that they are harder by degree. The demand for such a program is also lower unless you live in an area with an aged population. It requires more education and more work for less pay, unless you establish a niche. Even if you could somehow fill a class with 15 masters Crossfitters, you're going to have 13 cases in immediate need of remedial and difficult squat therapy instead of 6.

So yeah, learn how to scale the workouts down. Learn how to accomodate injuries and mobility issues. Learn how to identify when a rest day is needed. Standard Crossfit programming and coaching skills. But don't make a special class out of it.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham; 12-27-2010 at 04:52 PM..
Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
Bob D Pratt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I'm sorry you found my post insulting.
Katherine
I didn't find your post insulting, I find the idea of a 'special' class for seniors insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post

So yeah, learn how to scale the workouts down. Learn how to accomodate injuries and mobility issues. Learn how to identify when a rest day is needed.
Is that any different from any other class?

This thread is a little dated
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=22685

(WCF) but please read it and ask any of the posters if they need a 'special' class because of their age/ mobility/ injury/recovery issues.

I'm more flexible, have greater ROM and I'm stronger in many areas than I have ever been. My running times and swimming times are a bit slower than my PRs but when I was doing only triathlons I'm not sure I could manage 5-6 pull-ups; now I can do 20 dead-hang. All of my Olympic lifts are more than I could do in my "younger years".

I continue to PR alot of my workouts
I also plan on continuing this trend well into my 70's and 80's it's not until those ages that we really see a dramatic decrease in ability (in people who keep active).

I'm sorry if I'm having a hard time communicating this but someday (sooner than you think) you'll be a "senior" and you'll understand that it's not a welcome term.
Good thing I had my nap... now it's past my bedtime!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #17
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Is that any different from any other class?
Nope, only by degree.

I have found working with older athletes more challenging and more rewarding than any other demographic. As a coach you're on an accelerated learning curve. The positive changes you make to their fitness is more life-changing. The twenty-somethings are almost boring to coach in comparison.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #18
Bob D Pratt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post

The interest in intense fitness programs also drops off starting at age 40.
Too bad cause it looks like this is when we need it most:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgiD14YVTzY (WFS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epfSn...eature=channel (WFS)

http://www.cbass.com/Athletes,age.htm (WFS)
Old 12-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #19
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Too bad cause it looks like this is when we need it most
The message that the AMA has been spreading for years for seniors is that "walking is great exercise!" Of course the term "great!" in their context means better than nothing at all. It's a public perception problem worse than the problem Crossfit Kids has to face with the old saw that lifting weights will stunt a kid's growth.

I would love to get Sally Field off Boniva and into Crossfit. It would be fascinating to see what would happen to her bone density levels after a couple of years. Of course if the results were better than the drug, the makers of Boniva would probably declare war on Crossfit to protect their $500 million in annual sales.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
Diane Curtiss

Profile:

This thread reminds me of something that happened with my mom a few years back. She was 73, recently widowed, and trying to get out on her own a little more. A neighbor woman of similar age offered to take her to a church bible study with her. When I asked her about how it went, she told me she wasn't going back. Come to find out, the majority of the group were in their 80's and, in her words, "I'm not going to hang around with all those old people!"
While the idea is nice, none of us,as we age, like to think of ourselves as "old". At 54 myself, I know physical issues are there. But, just like my mom, I would have a hard time forcing myself to go to what is designated as a "seniors" class.