CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Hello all,
I've been reading all about Crossfit and I want to launch into it ASAP. I really want to hear from any Crossfitters in NYC. As we currently have no Crossfit Facility and I would like to get a group of people together to get one started. I also have a ton of questions in no particular order:
1) I don't have the ceiling height for high rings. If I buy rings and hang them over/on my pullup bar would I be able to do muscle ups, if I start on my knees?
2)What does rounds for time mean exactly ? Rounds for the best time you can? How much time between rounds? How long is a round? What are slow rounds?
3)Approximately how much jump rope ( time, effort)would be equal to a 400 and 800 meter run?
4)What can you do substitute for a glute/ham situp if you don't have the apparatus for it?
5)What exact size box should you get or make for box jumps? Does it hvae to be a specialty plyometric box of some sort?
6)How long should rest between sets be on heavy days ? Ex: deadlift 3-2-2-1-1-1
7) In the Crossfit FAQ it says for pullups to do any kind you can. Should you strive for your pullups to be real pullups though hands facing bar, shoulder width apart? Do most people start pullup workouts with real pullups then move on to easy variations when they can do them anymore?
8) Finally I don't have the space in my small Apt for an Olympic barbell set. Can I sub OLY lifts with Barbells, with my 200 pound adjustable sandbag ( it goes from 50 pounds to 200) ? Keep in mind that doing any movement with a sandbag is much heavier then with the corresponding wieght on a loaded barbell. Example 200 pound sandbag clean and press is much more diffcult then 200 pound barbell Clean and press. I can also get an adjutable heavy dumbell for Snatches and other movements.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Joseph,

Welcome to Crossfit!

A lot of the questions that you're asking have been asked before by other people starting out (please don't take offense at this statement - it usually means that they are well thought out questions). There's a search function towards the top of the message board page that you can use to dig for information on just about anything fitness related. It's a fabulous resource. Here's some quick answers to your questions:

1.) From what I've heard, it is possible to use this set up, but will involve having to dodge the bar with your head on the way up.

2.) Rounds for time means that you're trying to complete X rounds of whatever exercises indicated as quickly as possible. For example, If I do 3 rounds for time of 10 push-ups, 10 pull-us, 10 sit-ups and 10 air squats, I would immediately cycle back to the push-ups (which would be the start of round 2) after completing my first set of air squats. For this workout I would be doing a total of 30 reps of each exercise. Since I'm trying to minimize the time required to finish all of the exercises, I would avoid rest ,if at all possible, and minimize it when unavoidable. A round is only as long as the athlete makes it. The only slow rounds in Crossfit that I know of are fatigue induced:happy:.

3. This would vary from athlete to athlete. Try and match it to the intensity/effort it would take YOU to comlete a 400m and 800m run.

4. Some people do these off of Swiss balls, the edge of beds, or prop their bench up using their power rack.

5. Check out these threads for some ideas:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/2456.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/1061.html

6. As long as needed.

7. Pull-ups can be performed either palms facing or palms away. Ideally the chest is pulled to the bar but chin above bar is acceptable. Arms must lock out completely on the bottom portion of the rep.

8. Sounds fine to me. In a way, it can be even considered more functional. Not everything has handles.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions and/or need clarification.

Happy training,

Ryan
Old 09-27-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Welcome. Answers (the best I could):

1. Yes you could do muscleups on your pullup bars from your knees. Power rings also allow you to go to a playground and hang them from a high bar, tree limb, or swingset.
2. Start stop watch when youstart the workout, stop it when the workout is over. ie. HSPU + 225# DL @ 21,15,9 is the time it takes to complete ALL of the sets. . .including your rest time. Decrease rest = better score (ie. lower time).
3. Any time you compare two seperate exercises, roughly do the same amount of time. So if it takes you 55 seconds sprinting to run 400 meters you should do a 55 second all out round of jumping rope.
4.Put a rolled carpet under your lower back, don't anchor your feet, do a situp.
5. I built a bunch of 5" thick boxes which I stack and use for plyo boxes of various sizes. Some one may link you to a WOD which showed how to make a plyo box. You could also use a bench in a jif.
6. Until your neuromuscular system is recovered, usually 3-5 minutes, any less and your not going to get a max lift (varies between individuals).
7. All pullups are hard, most of us will do false grip, kipping pullups. During long sessions, I change grips chinup, pullup, nutrel grip etc. Just pull your CHEST to the bar.
8. Your setup sounds good, you could only work with what you got. With more time, money, and space, keep expanding. Were not trying to become Olympic lifters, just trying to derive the many benifits of Olympic lifting.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'd be happy to hear from others as well. Also any NYC Crossfitters ? If your on the board give me a shout. Let's get a Crossfit In the Big Apple!:angry:
Old 09-27-2004, 08:33 PM   #5
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
Don't forget the exit stairs in your apartment building. do repeats, hitting every other step on way up, with a weighted pack. weight is individual. do pushups every few landings or, if not a real tall building, at top and bottom. oh yea, leave the pack on for the pushps. this is also good for doing weighted pullups.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:10 AM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Joseph

I live in the big apple and am struggling to find a good place to do my workouts as well. email me wittenst@sewkis.com and let's compare notes.

The answers to many of your questions can be found by searching the message boards.

I think if you keep experimenting you will find interesting alternatives and substitutions for many of the exercises. However it is important to make the effort to try to do the WODs as prescribed occasionally even if that means only once a week trekking to the gym or to the park to get your hands on some barbells or a track/rower/treadmill or whatever other equipment you might need.

Best of luck.

Keith
Old 09-29-2004, 01:22 PM   #7
Court Wing

Profile:
Hey Joseph (and Keith and all other NY CrossFitters)
I'm a Senior up near White Plains at Purchase College. Spent this summer training with Dave Werner and Nick Nibler at CrossFit North for 3 months and took the CrossFit Level 1 Certification with them. School is very busy but would really like to get together to train in the city on the weekend and get a location started after graduation in May. You can reach me at Court.Wing@Gmail.com. Look forward to sharing the bucket with you.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:55 PM   #8
Eric Durante

Profile:

I CF on my own here in West Point, NY...welcome to CF!
Old 10-07-2004, 09:29 PM   #9
Lani Lau

Profile:

Hello NY CrossFitters-
I will be in NYC at the end of the month and would like to get together with other CrossFitters for a workout, maybe in Central Park. I was thinking Saturday Oct. 30 in the morning. Is anyone interested?

Lani Lau
CFHQ
Old 10-07-2004, 10:14 PM   #10
Court Wing

Profile:
Hi Lani,
It would be great to get together for a workout-the only issue being the earlier the better since I have a production that opens that weekend with a show that afternoon. If we can meet that morning, sign me up. Look forward to meeting you.