CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
Andrew Dempsey

Profile:
Re: Why do you CrossFit

It's fun, satisfying and always let's you know you need to improve
Old 01-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #22
Kent Newland

Profile:

To add onto my original post, I also CrossFit because it's introduced me to a lot of other areas of physical skills such as gymnastics, olympic lifting, and parkour, that help me learn not just how to be stronger, but also how to be a little faster and more agile than the average 230 pound man. I've always wanted to be the big guy who's fast on his feet, and I feel like with the help of CrossFit I am. Not linebacker fast, certainly, but faster than any who meets me would expect me to be.

Kent
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

- I like looking good.
- I like the health benefits.
- Crossfit is interesting, versatile, and since I don't really have any goals in competing for the Crossfit Games or anything, I can pretty much do whatever workout I feel like doing that day.
- I enjoy pushing my mental and physical limits.
- It seems to be the "in" thing right now, and I've met a lot of people (attractive women) just through casual small talk involving CF.
- Despite having been a division 1 scholarship athlete six years ago, I can say with certainty that I am a better all around athlete now, than I was back then.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #24
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
i'm too fat to jog. i'm too weak to be a powerlifter. i'm too undisciplined for bodybuilding. i'm too slow for most sports. i'm too poor to play golf. i'm too uncoordinated for martial arts. i'm too ugly for tennis. i'm too short to swim. i'm too young to fly fish. i bow hunt when the season is open, but leaves alot of other months in the year.
Hahah. Love this.

I like a hard workout. More so just competing with myself and the clock ticking.

It breaks the monotony of a program on weekends.

A lot of my friends either own or work at crossfit gyms.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #25
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

It is the best program for my goals:

1) Strong not big
2) Healthy diet for long active life
3) Look good
4) Healthy heart
5) Minimal risk of injury (particularly repetitive motion injuries like runners waring out their knees) & maintain mobility

The other stuff like the community in my gym, constantly varied, challenged to learn new skills or move up to tougher movements, competition, being surrounded by people who constantly challenge me to be better and so on is all part of why it is easy to follow the program.

Major accomplishment: No more bird chest! Start CrossFit, learn shoulder is messed up, get shoulder fixed, be stupid and hurt shoulder again, get should healthy, start linear progression weight training and after more then 25 year final begin to develop pecks to match my arms. Amazing what happens when you listen to the right people and follow directions.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
Rob Cortez

Profile:

I love the communities focus on overall health. This isnt about bodybuilding and doing sets of curls. This is about being strong and fast. Things that actually care hold weight outside the walls of a gym.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #27
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

1) Because I want to have well rounded fitness, I'm never going to be a pro weightlifter, powerlifter, gymnast, etc so there is no reason to really care about specializing at this point.
3) So that I keep improving on my weaknesses and can progressively reach goals in many areas.
2) To keep my sights on being the healthiest I can be.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #28
David Fletcher

Profile:

I was enticed by their marketing campaign to get stronger, leaner, etc, and I didn't know enough on my own to program my own workouts.

I don't crossfit anymore because I learned enough to go off on my own and it's not worth the price to me now.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #29
Brian Kellogg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fletcher View Post
I was enticed by their marketing campaign to get stronger, leaner, etc, and I didn't know enough on my own to program my own workouts.

I don't crossfit anymore because I learned enough to go off on my own and it's not worth the price to me now.
You don't have to be a member of a box to be a Crossfitter. It certainly helps, especially when you are a beginner but I think after you have a good foundation, you'd be fine on your own or even with a drop-in class here and there for some tuning up and some fellowship. If I had more space, less disposable income and/or less flexibility in schedule, I could see myself not belonging to a box. Do you just do WODs on your own or have you gotten away from a Crossfit-based regimen as a matter of practice?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
Diane Curtiss

Profile:

Because I am 55 and beginning to see the image of my own mortality coming into view - and I want to live forever.....
Ok - not really..... I just want to be able to live as long and as independently as possible. I believe Crossfit (and a bit of luck) will help me do that.