CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Donald Chace

Profile:
Building from the ground up

After opening in December of 2010 we have finally outgrown our current space/box. I am considering building a box from the ground up on property we own adjacent to where we are currently renting due to the highly visible location we have. We are considering a facility between 4500 and 6000 sqft. My question is this....has anyone else built from scratch? What mistakes did they make? Any suggestions for us? Building details?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Building from the ground up

I have not built from the ground up but this is a simple investment decisions. A good accountant or business finance expert can help you decide if it is a good idea or not. It is well worth paying for the analysis before making a big mistake.

Also the building goes in a 100% separate legal entity. Most likely an L.L.C. and the gym pays rent to the L.L.C..

There are certain intangibles like being 100% in control of you real estate that you have to value in the process. Certainly location as well.

The finical analysis will keep the whole decision making process grounded in facts.

Always make multiple projection. Expected cost then a couple more with everything costing more then expected. If you will still be OK then consider it.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Have you looked into the time it'll take to build? Including permitting from the city, etc?

And the expense? We looked at a 8500sf shell. No nothing, but a slab of concrete. And with 2 showers we're looking at upwards of $200k. I tell anyone I talk to to shy away from an undertaking like that. Even if money was no object, the time alone is not something I want to deal, and it's usually things you have no control over.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Donald Chace

Profile:

Thanks for the responses. Let me explain further. The building would be located on the same site as another business we own. Crossfit Torque would rent the building from the LLC that owns the rest of the property. The plan would be that if, years down the road, crossfit has to move, that the building would be utilized by the existing business. I guess my main question is what is the ideal building design for a crossfit. We are thinking 60x80. How many garage doors. Showers? Office size? reception? lockers? ceiling height? If anyone has actually constructed a crossfit from the ground up I would love to see their plans.
Thanks