CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-06-2003, 03:05 AM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
You canīt possibly imagine how excited I am with the idea that I soon will start building my crossfit gym!

I found the space, which is my office roof, where Iīll most likely build a steel cage sceleton, and close it with glass. THe ideas are very ambitious right now, and include a moving rope installation which will be build into the sceleton (as will be the pullup bar and the rings point of attachment).

(I still havenīt figured out who will have the know how to build such a thing with what seems like probably many custom fits-unless of course there are certified Crossfit contructors)

Apart from construction stuff Iīm starting to make a budget for this thin. Most will go to the equipment naturally. Starting with the barbell set, I saw three links on the CFJ that featured custom gyms but no prices for Eleiko, nor Ivanko. Anyone have any website with prices, or any rough estimate as to what a complete set would cost me with these two companies? What are the areas that differentiate qualitatively Eleiko and Ivanko products from the rest anyway?

Iīm very excited at this planning stage since itīs an amazing oppurtunity to really get the most out of Crossfit!!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I spoke with an architect friend that's going to help me build this so I want to start gtting blueprints ready. It's going to be outdoors, protected by two cement walls on its North and east sides. The structure itself is going to be a metal sceleton and closed with glass. Kinda like a cage.

One thing I want to incorporate into its construction right away, is a moving track and trolley where I would install my rope. The inspiration comes from various military schools that use similar equipment. An great example can be found at:

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/kev_rope.html

Now If anyone can share anything valuable about how to best incorporate this into my cage they would be immensley helpful. Thing is I'd like to install a locking mechanism also so as to ue the rope in a stable position, and perhaps, if it can be done, install my rings up there too.

This will happen after Christmass at some point, so up until then I want to get all the specs and blueprints I can get my hands on with regard to pull up bars, rotating pullup bars, ropes, rings etc. I'm also getting my shopping list compiled but that has more budgetary and spacial concerns than DIY stuff.

This is fun!