CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
David Hansen

Profile:
Front Shoulder Pain with Pullups

My attempts to self-diagnose have led to a bit of a dead-end. I may as well ask the collective wisdom of the board.

Symptoms: Whenever I do *any kind* of pullup( kipping, deadhang, palms-in, palms-out ), I experience a very sharp pain in the front-upper portion of my right shoulder. The pain radiates over a fairly small area( approx 2 square inches )

Effect: There appears to be no loss of actual strength - just the pain. After about 3 reps, the pain is so great that I'm discouraged from continuing.

Duration: The pain is highest during the movement, but subsizes linearly to zero within about 5 minutes. Longer term, this has been occurring for about two months during which I have waited for it to go away on its own.

My initial internet diagnosis at this point would be some manner of rotator cuff injury. The problem here is that I am led to believe rotator cuff injuries result in pain for *most* classes of shoulder movements. This is where my particular situation diverges: I can do almost every other shoulder movement just fine with absolutely no pain at all. Presses, Jerks, Rows, SDHPs are 100% pain-free, and Benchpress is only *very mildly* painful.

So, I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Mark Dong

Profile:
Re: Front Shoulder Pain with Pullups

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
My attempts to self-diagnose have led to a bit of a dead-end. I may as well ask the collective wisdom of the board.

Symptoms: Whenever I do *any kind* of pullup( kipping, deadhang, palms-in, palms-out ), I experience a very sharp pain in the front-upper portion of my right shoulder. The pain radiates over a fairly small area( approx 2 square inches )

Effect: There appears to be no loss of actual strength - just the pain. After about 3 reps, the pain is so great that I'm discouraged from continuing.

Duration: The pain is highest during the movement, but subsizes linearly to zero within about 5 minutes. Longer term, this has been occurring for about two months during which I have waited for it to go away on its own.

My initial internet diagnosis at this point would be some manner of rotator cuff injury. The problem here is that I am led to believe rotator cuff injuries result in pain for *most* classes of shoulder movements. This is where my particular situation diverges: I can do almost every other shoulder movement just fine with absolutely no pain at all. Presses, Jerks, Rows, SDHPs are 100% pain-free, and Benchpress is only *very mildly* painful.

So, I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Best bet is to go and have an orthopedist look at it. I have the same issue, but, my pain occurs when I do push presses. Pushing up is fine, but when I come back down to the rack position, that is when I feel the pain. The pain feels like when you pop your knuckles and it hurts, that is my pain. I had it looked at and my orthopedist said that it is an impingement. I am having physical therapy on it as it is getting better. I have not done push presses in months! But, I can do the kipping pullups. Go figure. In any case, go and have it checked out by an orthopedist before doing more damage.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Sam Sang Won Lee

Profile:

Hey.
Sorry about your injury.
The symptoms you are describing dont seem to coincide with mine but the condition your shoulder is in leads me to believe that it could be a slap tear. I could do pull ups, presses, and rotate in many directions. However, there was a particular position/motion that gave me slight shiver kind of feeling in my shoulder. I had this sensation in my shoulder and I was led to believe that it was my rotator cuff. I went to see a doctor and he said it was my bicep tendon connected to my shoulder. It seemed as if he was right but only partly. I rested it for weeks, with frustration building of not being able todo upper body exercises, but it continued. I was on the forum recently and came across slap tears. I youtube'd it and had a strong feeling that it was a slap tear. It fit the symptoms of my pain. I went to an orthopedic doctor and had an MRI. He thinks it's a slap tear as well but I will find the results tomorrow. Have a look at this video and if it seems like what you have, go to the doctor ASAP. Sooner u heal, sooner you can go back to those presses. Good luck~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzFyLuyiIAE&sns=em
Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Definitely sounds like potential biceps issue or maybe something else.

If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that.. links wfs

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts. For the computer illiterate (use MS paint to mark it, and imgur.com to upload). Tell me what tissue(s) it feels like it's hurting in, or if it's more superficial or deep in the joint?

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion (you moving the leg without it moving itself) and resistive/active motion (you moving it, and you moving it against force). Also tell me when and what movements during these exercises are eliciting the pain?
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~8+ weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

7. What have you been doing for recovery purposes? Do these recovery methods help?

8. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?

9. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

10. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?

11. Any previous injury history?

12. How's your posture?

13. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

14. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?