CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Dustin Standel

Profile:
Learning Double Unders

I have trouble with the performance of double unders. My toes always come down a little too early - the rope ends up between the toe and the ball of the foot.

Does anyone have some drills or techniques I can use to improve my double unders? The advice I have so far is move the rope faster or jump higher.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Michael Kelley

Profile:
Re: Learning Double Unders

I am *not* a master of double-unders. I am only now starting to be able to string them together at all, and some days (this morning) they just don't seem to work. What helped me may not help you. (enough caveats?)

Mine started to get better when I focused on springing off the ground as opposed to jumping. My legs are tighter and I bounce up with my toes pulled up towards my shins rather than jumping with toes dangling like as if jumping for max height. That seemed to help me clear the rope past my toes. I also tweaked the length rope I was using and I try to focus on keeping my hands low and tight to my body (my hands tend to drift farther and farther away as I go along). Hope this helps, and even more, I hope someone who really knows this stuff has better tips than someone at my skill level.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Chris Walls

Profile:

Well that's kind of the trick to it. Make sure your arms are not coming up at your sides, they are staying down around hip height and you're whipping from the wrists, not spinning the elbows. If the arms start floating up the rope gets shorter and you catch the feet.

Find your highest comfortable bouncing rhythm, whip the rope to match, keep arms relaxed down by your sides and whip at the wrist. That's about all I have for generic advice without seeing what you're doing.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

This should help.

wfs
http://vimeo.com/2969537
Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Justin McGinley

Profile:

The thing that has helped a lot of my gym members is learning to make the second swing of the rope really, really fast.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McGinley View Post
The thing that has helped a lot of my gym members is learning to make the second swing of the rope really, really fast.
Yes! People always miss by decelerating the 2nd swing. When I started stringing them together the rope wasn't at a constant speed, it was like woosh-WOOSH, woosh-WOOSH..
Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

I have had modest success with DU's, but I was using two of the most painful jumpropes on the planet (to me anyway-). Like seriously day-long welts from missing...

One of the owners of a Crossfit facility in STL recommended I buy a Buddy Lee rope.

Much less pain, and much more success! I can string together 35-50 now, and I don't swear like a sailor when I miss anymore! My skill didn't change magically overnight, but it was like a night and day difference with a different rope.

just my 2c.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Jon Gilson fixed my DUs, so definitely watch the vid that Brian linked.

The right rope was the key for me. I jump with the PowerMax, and I still love it more than any other rope. I cannot jump with the stupid Revolution or any of those nonsense skinny wire ropes. They drive me insane. I think I have 8 or 10 different ropes at my gym, and they pretty much all drive me insane except the PowerMax.

I had close to 100 consecutive DUs last year, and that was with the PowerMax. Even though I do almost no conditioning right now, I can still consistently hit sets of 50+ consecutive DUs with that rope.

I suspect that I could get a heavier rope from Rx Jump Ropes that would work even better, since the PowerMax is slightly longer than what I should jump with in order to keep my elbows in close. But, I'm not exactly motivated to experiment with jump ropes right now.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Jon Gilson fixed my DUs, so definitely watch the vid that Brian linked.

The right rope was the key for me. I jump with the PowerMax, and I still love it more than any other rope. I cannot jump with the stupid Revolution or any of those nonsense skinny wire ropes. They drive me insane. I think I have 8 or 10 different ropes at my gym, and they pretty much all drive me insane except the PowerMax.

I had close to 100 consecutive DUs last year, and that was with the PowerMax. Even though I do almost no conditioning right now, I can still consistently hit sets of 50+ consecutive DUs with that rope.

I suspect that I could get a heavier rope from Rx Jump Ropes that would work even better, since the PowerMax is slightly longer than what I should jump with in order to keep my elbows in close. But, I'm not exactly motivated to experiment with jump ropes right now.
I agree that the right rope is critical. I recently got an Rx rope that is perfectly sized for me. My best consecutive DU number without it is 26, and I was able to do 20 with it at the end of the Filthy Fifty yesterday. I was pretty proud of that. I need to go try to set a new PR when I'm fresh...