CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Joseph Hardy

Profile:
The Law of Attraction - Your Wish Is Your Command

Your Wish Is Your Command
by Kevin Trudeau

Anyone heard of it?

Questions, comments, or observations?

Or what about the secret?

Or any Law of Attraction books?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: The Law of Attraction - Your Wish Is Your Command

Read these insteadwfs)
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5howarrlh9_b

Trudeu is a nut case, and The Secret, well....if that were true no one would ever fail at anything if they didn't want to.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Joseph Hardy

Profile:

What are those books about?

Why do you say Kevin is a nut case?

The secret misses a lot of elements with the law of attraction and a lot of people really don't believe they can do anything they put their mind to so they fail. I have seen the law of attraction work with myself as well as friends and as well as athletes at my gym. I think it is right along the same lines of principles CrossFit teaches and would be a good supplement to CrossFit instruction.

People really don't fail at anything they believe they will succeed at and they want to succeed at.

"Anything the mind of man can conceive, and bring itself to believe, it can achieve." -Napoleon Hill
Old 09-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Read the reviews on the book, google it and see the table of contents it'll answer that question better than I can.

Then, google Kevin Tredeu(however it's spelled) and make your own opinion on him. He will write anything to make a buck, and stir **** up.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Joseph Hardy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Read the reviews on the book, google it and see the table of contents it'll answer that question better than I can.

Then, google Kevin Tredeu(however it's spelled) and make your own opinion on him. He will write anything to make a buck, and stir **** up.
Ok I will check that book out, you are referring to "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion?" Correct? Thank you for the recommendation.

I don't rely on google for accurate sources of information, only to begin research when I have no other sources. Anyone can post anything on the internet and those with money and power can forge someone to look like a bad person if they don't like him/her.

There is a long story to why many people don't want Kevin to succeed, but I know people who know him personally and I will be meeting him soon, he is a good guy who only means well and actually has good sources of information to supply us with based on experience and evidence. He doesn't need to sell books to make money, he has plenty of it already.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Joseph Hardy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Read these insteadwfs)
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5howarrlh9_b

Trudeu is a nut case, and The Secret, well....if that were true no one would ever fail at anything if they didn't want to.
Life is what you make it and you can do anything you put your mind to, if people don't want to believe then they wont, if they want to, then they will. It's a perfect law. I'd argue to say that people only fail for one of two reasons:

1. They don't believe they will succeed so they think about what they do not want to happen more than what they want. They worry about the negative and give that energy. Therefore, by the law of attraction, they get what they think about most of the time which is what they did not want and they consider it a failure.

2. People consider what are really successes to be failures. I believe I cannot fail and therefore, since applying this law, I have not failed once. Here's what I mean. . .
Thomas Edison was famous for "failing" thousands of times before inventing the incandescent light bulb, but if you asked him how he dealt with all the failures before finding the right combination he would say that he did not fail a thousand times, he successfully found a thousands ways that it would not work. Edison was a huge user of the law of attraction.'
. . .when you set your mind on something and get a result you did not want, the universe is heading you in that direction so that you will end up with either the result you wanted or a result which is better for you and you don't know it at the time. If you "fail" tell yourself now I know that will not work and can move on to trying something else, be happy you found a way for it to not work and can now figure out how to make it work.
Look at Chris Spealler, would you say he failed at winning the CrossFit Games?
I call failure a myth and its only there is you want it to be.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Why are you asking about "The Secret" if you already have those opinions?

Just because you may learn from failure, doesn't mean you haven't failed. There's nothing wrong with that. Finding ways something didn't work 1,000 times, or saying you failed 1,000 times before trying to invent the lightbulb is just semantics.

And yes, if his(Chris Spealer's) goal was to WIN the CF Games, then yes, he failed. Unless you'll tell me that 4 times he found ways that didn't work to win the Games?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
Joseph Hardy

Profile:

Why not ask, right?
I am curious to see if anyone else in CrossFit has used this thought process. I have used it recently to greatly improve my scores in WODs. I have also been dropping hints to my athletes about it. So far I have just played with it a little and to great success. It would interesting to see someone use it at the games or just on general WODs. Here's the thing though, everyone is already using it whether they know it or not. But if they consciously use it they can get so much more out of it.

I don't want to delve into other people's dreams, sorry for bringing it up, but Chris Spealler's goal is to win the games, which he will do. And yes, you are absolutely right by saying that he successfully found 4 ways to not win the games.
So what does that mean? That means next year he will change something, even if slightly, even if its only in his head, that will put him closer to winning the games as a result of placing where he did the past 4 years. We have only failed when we let ourselves fail, Chris has not failed and I believe he won't fail because he is a very strong person.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
David Orr

Profile:

Simply put, what you believe to be true is. Visualization IS a powerful tool. The more you refuse to quit and continue to mentally insist on a positive outcome, the more likely it becomes.

In the end, persistence and adaptation in the face of internal and external obstacles is the tried and true path to success, whatever the goal.

Just my opinion, of course.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
Martin McSweeney

Profile:

Just some information about him (from Wikipedia):

Trudeau has been embroiled in a number of civil suits and was convicted in misdemeanor and felony criminal cases. He was convicted of larceny and credit card fraud in the early 1990s, and in 1998 paid a $500,000 fine for making false or misleading claims in his infomercials. In 2004 he agreed to a lifetime ban on promoting products via infomercials, excluding his books.

Also:

Violating court orders

In 2005 he released the book “Natural Cures ‘They’ Don’t Want You to Know About.” Once again, he hawked his wares on late-night infomercials, violating his court order. Now he owes $37 million, thanks to a court decision from January.

According to MSNBC, consumers who purchased the book felt duped, saying it didn’t contain any actual information and only promoted his web site, NaturalCures.com. In fact, they felt so duped the started contacting consumer protection boards. Ironically, the lawsuit spurred sales for the book. Ironically, while the lawsuit was pending, sales of the book skyrocketed because of the publicity generated by the trial. Kevin Trudeau also released a second edition called “More Natural ‘Cures’ Revealed.”

From me:

Just interesting to note that in his "Cures" book, there is not a sources section. That is, all the cures he claims to know can be classified as hearsay. If any of it were factual claims, why has he not backed it up with evidence?