CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Mark Barong

Profile:
Created by a crossfitter.

If you love Pukie then you'll go CRAZY over the THIRD WORLD DOG (3WD) 2008 Calendar.

Be the first kid on your block to go THIRD WORLD.

http://www.lulu.com/content/953842

Disclaimer: No 3WD's were harmed in the making of this calendar. They were already like that...honest.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Ok, that link is probably *not* exactly family-safe . . . or, at least not if your family has small kids who like animals.

Mark, we have a policy here of requiring posts to be described at least briefly, and indicated that they are (or are not) work- and family-safe. (They don't need to be "safe", but you do need to indicate whether they are, or not.)

That link includes pictures of some pretty badly abused animals . . . not pretty.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
wow, that is just bad taste, should have heeded yur warnin dave :S ack
Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
Agreed, very poor taste.

As has been covered in numerous media reports lately (Vick) we love our dogs, and reports or images of them like this will draw criticism. I would hate to think this was posted just to draw a reaction, I hope that it was not. Regardless, wrong place, wrong time, every time.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #5
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
I knew that there were more reasons out there to support my unshakable position as a cat person.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:07 AM   #6
Jonathan Rich

Profile:
Maybe would should give Mark time to ellaborate. If his intention is to draw attention to their suffering in hopes of helping them, then I think that is noble. I know from seeing them myself that third world dogs have it very rough. There is NO animal control in these countries. If his intent is to simply profit from these poor animals, then that is entirely different. Just seeing these pictures shouldn't be a problem. The problem would only lie in the intent.

**Let me note that for this to acceptable, I would think proceeds from the calendar should go to directly help these dogs.

(Message edited by JonnyRingo on August 07, 2007)
Old 08-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
Mark Barong

Profile:
Okay for some elaboration, I am going to try and keep this short as the subject can get into a very deep philosophical discussion very quickly...and I am no philosopher.

I DO want to enhance awareness of the 3WD.

For me, 3WD is a symbol. A symbol of true grit, hardy survivalism, self-sufficiency,...and stubborn freedom. It is hard for me to put into words but I see it in the eyes of the 3WD.

How would one help the 3WD? Would we apply our 1W methods? Sterilization, incarceration, extermination? Tough call.

How would you go about helping the 3WD when the 3W children are in need of greater help? I was there, I was on a mission to help, it takes a long time. There is no quick solution.

3WD would not want your help, he lives free, under the radar, on his own terms. He is NOT abused, he is neglected.

This isn't corporate Disney utopia. This is the real world. 3WD symbolizes that for me.

When I was very small, Disney was alluring, when I got a bit older, I noticed something was wrong...something was missing. Now I know what it was. There were no Carneys. The Carneys are missing. Where did they go? You remember those guys (and gals) when you went to the local fair. They probably scared the crap out of you, but they were real. That was the "edge". If you remain in your 1W comfort zone, you won't notice that the edges are being dulled.

3WD has the "edge".

CrossFit has the "edge", it brings it back. Something is resonating here.

Is there some "Gallow's humor" here? Yes there is, every warrior uses it to get through adversity.

I won't even go into my theory that presence of 3WD is an indicator of a weakened state ripe for exploitation by our enemies who seek out places where the rule of law is broke and a return to the only rules they live by....jungle rules.

Will the proceeds go to helping 3WD? Yes, I believe so, in helping to support the efforts to bring a rule of law to all places so that someday the people in those places will have time to pay attention to the 3WD and decide for themselves how to help them. A multigenerational effort that is at the core of our current struggle.

I am an animal lover and so are my children. One rescued pound pup, guinea pig, and four mice can attest to that. There is nothing wrong with these images for children's eyes, it is a very large part of the world.

I won't be around to respond for awhile so don't assume anything from my silence.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #8
Ryan Long

Profile:
Mark, That was hilarious. Having lived with animals like these for 12 months I totally understand where you are coming from. We used to say, "These aren't dogs, dogs aren't supposed to eat each other!"

You are right on about the Gallows humor. Our own amateur "CSI Baghdad" teams would estimate times of death by the damage the 3WDs had done.

I never saw a 3WD abused, the locals didn't even acknowledge that the 3WDs were there. Their pathetic state is simply their struggle for survival.

Ryan