CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #1
Kim Groder

Profile:
Introducing Fitness to Teen Girls

I was asked to come to a girl's youth group to talk about fitness. I am not a trainer, or a professional in any kind of fitness related field, though I'm looking into that. My friend who asked me has been watching my progress lately, and we've been talking about what we do for our children to make sure that they are growing up to be healthy adults. I guess she likes what I have to say, and my attitude about fitness. I most likely will not be giving any kind of serious diet or nutrition advice, or prescribing a workout regimine, just a general talk about what turned me around, and how I went from being an ok teen, to fat mom, to fit mom.

Anyway, this group is made up of teens (I don't know the age spread), mostly unathletic, probably not too fit, but skinny. One thing my friend wants to get across to them is that while they are thin now, that might not always be the case. That it's not enough to just be thin, don't just focus on being skinny by not eating or whatever, but they should be fit and capable as well.

I was not athletic as a kid, though I did do ballet for about 10 years, sports never appealed to me on any level. So I think I can touch on that. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what else I can talk about.
I was thinking about taking in some of the videos of Kallista Pappas from the 2009 games to show them that it is possible, and you won't get "bulky". Though I know that she was already very athletic when she started.

I don't know if this is a good idea, but I think getting kids, especially those without any kind of interest in organized sports, into fitness cannot be a bad thing. Please, please, please tell me honestly if this is not a good idea at all.

I also don't know if it's worth mentioning, but this is a pretty religious group I will be talking to, however I am not at all affiliated with them.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Re: Introducing Fitness to Teen Girls

Kim,
Drop me an email at Jeff@CrossFit.com. We have someone on the CrossFit Kids staff that can help you. She is a teacher and deals with this every day. Incidentally she weighs 114 and recently won the USAPL Cal State Powerlifting Championships and won the best female lifter. Dead lifted over 300 pounds. So she can talk from experience about being strong and not being bulky.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Kim Groder

Profile:

Thanks Jeff, I'll get right on that.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Tell them that strong is the new skinny Then bring in a bunch of teenage boys, play some video of the women at the crossfit games and let the girls hear their reactions.