CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Derek Gardner

Profile:
Shakes for meals

I am just wondering if drinking a shake has the same effects, or is as healthy as eating foods whole.....

For example, if I were to put whole eggs/egg whites into the shake and some fruit etc ... is it going to have the same nutrients because its now going down as a liquid? or am i better to eat the food... Its all going to the same place no matter how it goes down right?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Daniel Lyell

Profile:
Re: Shakes for meals

Changes the surface area of the food and can cause a greater insulin spike. So not the same.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Derek Gardner

Profile:

Interesting.. thanks!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

i think whole eggs in a shake aren't going to cause much of an insulin spike given all the fat that is in them. you will however definitely get more of a spike from blended fruit than just eating it whole. all depends what you're putting in there. another thing to consider is when you are taking in the shake and what you're goals are. if you are taking in the shake after a workout, insulin is not a bad thing at all. it can help you recover faster and build muscle. but if you are trying to maximize fat loss, keeping insulin low is like a magic bullet.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Liquid can typically be digested faster, which is good for a post-workout meal. But in general, people should look at shakes as a supplement to their meals, not a replacement for them.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Ben Kissam

Profile:

I personally think people who make shakes for meal replacements are missing the big picture. Eating good quality food the correct way is one of the best ways to keep in tune with your body. You can learn what works for you and doesn't a lot faster if you eat a clean diet that resembles the paleolithic model.

That being said, they are a great tool for after a work out, but you have to consider we are not meant to consume liquid slosh for 1-3 meals a day besides that. I've read about people who do 2 a day for "replacements" and it never seems to work because their bodies crave real food.

I should also mention that I've never put eggs in a shake because I am allergic to them. But I have used whey powder, fruit, milk, juice, coconut, etc. and I've made many in the past before I ever did CrossFit or paleo.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Scott Tredennick

Profile:

on another note, those looking to lose weight should avoid drinking calories as your body does not register them and they have little effect on satiety.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Gardner View Post
I am just wondering if drinking a shake has the same effects, or is as healthy as eating foods whole.....

For example, if I were to put whole eggs/egg whites into the shake and some fruit etc ... is it going to have the same nutrients because its now going down as a liquid? or am i better to eat the food... Its all going to the same place no matter how it goes down right?
There are some differences but I don't think it's that significant to worry about. The main problem with drinking shakes vs. meals in my opinion is that you are less likely to include good foods especially green vegetables in a shake (unless you're one of those people who blends up their spinach, in which case I respect you greatly) and so you may be getting a lot of calories, but not enough fiber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tredennick View Post
on another note, those looking to lose weight should avoid drinking calories as your body does not register them and they have little effect on satiety.
Uh, what?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
Sara Thomas

Profile:

What about this research:
Breakthrough research from the University of Toronto shows that Vitamix processing may significantly enhance nutrient intake from whole foods

The results of a 2008 study at the University of Toronto clearly indicate that the Vitamix 5200 has the ability to disrupt plant cell wall structure and significantly reduce food particle size which may enhance the bioavailability of essential nutrients in fruits and vegetables.
(http://www.vitamix.com/household/inf...r/research.asp) WFS
Also - this idea that a shake won't sate you like 'real food'... maybe not the kind of shakes you make, my friend.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

A shake of

6 raw eggs
10 ounces heavy cream
3 TB all natural peanut butter
2 bananas

Does not fill me up like 1.2 lbs of shrimp in a heavy cream sauce over veggies even though it has a great many more calories.

I'm not the only one to have this occur, that calorically laden shakes do not fill me up like real food.