CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Form in WOD's - how hard to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Harper View Post
http://performancemenu.com/articles/...p?articleID=87

Sounds like these problems are coming from a focus on time.
Good article.. There is not much point to timing your non repeatable workouts unless you are directly competing with someone...taking the clock away for a bit is probably a good thing.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
Damon Stewart

Profile:

If it's a safety issue it's a no-brainer, I'll stop them, scale them, whatever's needed.

If it's a case of sacrificing ROM for speed then I'll warn them a couple of times and if they don't/can't clean it up they get () around their WOD time. Everyone knows that's for crappy ROM so there's no joy in being number one if you get parentheses.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
Eric Chapman

Profile:

I don't think there is any reason to "berate" (Scold or criticize someone angrily) someone over whether or not they are fully opening their hips up or not. Or getting "quite confrontational" for that matter lol that seems way over the top.

I like Damon Stewart's suggestion about giving a few verbal cues to remind them of the proper rom and then if they don't put the () around they wod time on the board.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
Alexander Bond

Profile:

It depends. When I started at CF One World, our trainers asked each of us if we had any injuries or anything they should know about. If there's something that physically prevents us from doing full RoM, that's cool and they understand.

If there isn't a physical limitation, then we need to be strict about the movements. The better my form is, the more weight I can push. Many of these movements, particularly the Olympic lifts, are skills that need to be learned properly and we can't learn if we're permitted to do them sloppily.

Sometimes it's just something like sloppy pullups or pushups, like today for One World's programming. Freddy told us he'd rather us do fewer pushups and do them right, he said if we get a high number with crappy form then "the number is just bull****". I completely agree.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #15
Deb Weber

Profile:

Quote:
I don't think there is any reason to "berate" (Scold or criticize someone angrily) someone over whether or not they are fully opening their hips up or not. Or getting "quite confrontational" for that matter lol that seems way over the top.
Quote:
I like Damon Stewart's suggestion about giving a few verbal cues to remind them of the proper rom and then if they don't put the () around they wod time on the board.
THIS.

Personally, i WANT to know so I can improve. OTOH - everybody in the gym for a while gets to know people's issues, take their scores with a grain of salt! Everyone has issues and it's a personal choice what you want to do. I know the guy with the slower time, goes a LOT lower in his squat; I know people that don't do pushups planked or pushups in their burpees how I do it, will beat my time. OTOH I have my own issues! Trouble getting low enough when Im tired; Id rather stop, rest and try to do it right as I can, no sense screwing myself to beat someone else's time. Sometimes they give us Rx requirements (ROM) and sometimes not. No big, you really compete against yourself.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

A rep that is not Full ROM is not a rep. If I'm training someone and they do 1 legal squat and 4 above legal squats, they have done 1 squat and thats what they write down in their book.

If you are counting for max reps, anything that isn't rull rom, doesn't count. I don't see how this is even a question.