CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #21
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Is this the stupidest workout ever?

As a strength training excersize, the bosu ball is stupid. As rehab, there are some cases where it is applicable.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #22
Mike Hopper

Profile:

But squatting does not address the proprioception and neuromuscular facilitation that BOSU squats do. Now I'm not talking about a parallel squat with 250 pounds or anything like that although I have considered trying it with a barbell. Right now I'm using dumbbells and I've also seen it done with medicine balls.

The basis of my program when designing for athletes consists of Parallel Squat and Hang Clean. Those are my building blocks and then I add other things like the BOSU squats for additional benefits.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #23
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hopper View Post
But squatting does not address the proprioception and neuromuscular facilitation that BOSU squats do. Now I'm not talking about a parallel squat with 250 pounds or anything like that although I have considered trying it with a barbell. Right now I'm using dumbbells and I've also seen it done with medicine balls.

The basis of my program when designing for athletes consists of Parallel Squat and Hang Clean. Those are my building blocks and then I add other things like the BOSU squats for additional benefits.
http://optimumsportsperformance.com/blog/?p=1110 (WFS)
Old 01-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #24
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:

I'm not sure I agree with that, but, I'm not asking you to train me.

I think BOSU ball squats, etc, are useful for developing balance and strength in unstable environments. When I was working on boats, it was good to be strong and comfortable in a rocking environment. I think BOSU balls would assist. Other than that not so much.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #25
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rocchio View Post
It looks to me like they are just having some fun. I've done plenty of silly things just messing around in the gym.
I've seen this progammed in workouts at affiliates. YouTube videos posted and everything. Sadness.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #26
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Oh I guess you may want to tell physical therapists and athletic trainers that doing squats on a BOSU ball is a bad idea. Because I've seen it used quite often and use it myself once a week actually. But the CrossFit message board says it's not a good exercise so we should probably stop.
I was talking about the photo of the guy squating 135# on a Bosa ball. He didn't do it as a work out. He did it just showing off in the gym. Problem happens, as often happens in the globo, is someone sees a photo like that and thinks one should do that everyday WITH THAT AMOUNT OF WEIGHT!

Yes, the Bosu ball is good for physical therapy. I had to use it recovering from a broken foot. However, something tells me it's overused by people who have no serious problems with balance. Pretty much every exercise has a legit reason to exist, the question is how much time and effort should be placed toward the various exercises.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:36 AM   #27
Pearse Shields

Profile:

My favourite use for a BOSU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg_hxBHPX_k
Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 AM   #28
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post

I had to do that for almost two years with a pilates ball on my ship. Here's the funny part, I had to put my name all over the ball (bought it for crossfit purposes) so that I could say "please stop doing half @$$ crunches on that so I can do some real exercises during my limited lunch time. Reason being, an inflated ball was difficult to transport around the ship, so I did store it at the ship's gym.

PS: my home made paralletes and straps for my home made rings went missing on that ship, not quite sure why.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #29
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
I had to do that for almost two years with a pilates ball on my ship. Here's the funny part, I had to put my name all over the ball (bought it for crossfit purposes) so that I could say "please stop doing half @$$ crunches on that so I can do some real exercises during my limited lunch time. Reason being, an inflated ball was difficult to transport around the ship, so I did store it at the ship's gym.

PS: my home made paralletes and straps for my home made rings went missing on that ship, not quite sure why.
With those items I'm sure it'd be possible to make a really fun swing. Swinging off the side of the ship while at port would be fun.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #30
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post

That chick is pretty ripped!!