CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Terry L. Gilmore II

Profile:
Exercise Substitutions

My name is SSG Gilmore. I am currently deployed to Iraq and am in the process of converting my platoon over to crossfit. The problem I am having is finding suitable subs for some of the exercises. The main ones are Row and Rope climb. we dont have access to either. We have a fairly decent Gym set up at the check point we rotate threw and the one at the main FOB is pretty decent. Amy suggestions would be helpful.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
James White

Profile:
Re: Exercise Substitutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry L. Gilmore II View Post
My name is SSG Gilmore. I am currently deployed to Iraq and am in the process of converting my platoon over to crossfit. The problem I am having is finding suitable subs for some of the exercises. The main ones are Row and Rope climb. we dont have access to either. We have a fairly decent Gym set up at the check point we rotate threw and the one at the main FOB is pretty decent. Amy suggestions would be helpful.
Row sub is definitely in the FAQs.

It's sumo-deadlift high pull with 45# bar. 1 rep = 10m. So...50 reps = 500m and so on. When you get above to 1000m the sub is not such a good one, but if it's lower than that it's not too bad.

Rope climb... I wanna say 5 jumping towel pullups can be subbed for a 1 trip up a 15 foot rope. Might wanna wait for confirmation on that.

Before posting more questions, make sure you have read: "Start here" and "FAQ" on the main page, as well as searched the forums. Chances are...it's either in the first two resources or has been asked before on the forum.

Glad to have you.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Amy suggestions would be helpful.
Not sure how this will help, but there's always (wfs):Good luck.

Mark
Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Aaron Evans

Profile:

Sorry to be an a-hole about this, but in my opinion---any person that has unselfishly put their butt on the line for this country has the right to misspell a couple of words in a CrossFit discussion board post...have some respect.

Thanks for your service Terry!!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James White View Post
Row sub is definitely in the FAQs.

It's sumo-deadlift high pull with 45# bar. 1 rep = 10m. So...50 reps = 500m and so on. When you get above to 1000m the sub is not such a good one, but if it's lower than that it's not too bad.

Rope climb... I wanna say 5 jumping towel pullups can be subbed for a 1 trip up a 15 foot rope. Might wanna wait for confirmation on that.
Yeah that's pretty good to go. If you don't have a bar start with anything that weighs 45# or so, scaling as needed for ability to sub for rows. Towel pullups are a good sub for rope climbs.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Evans View Post
Sorry to be an a-hole about this, but in my opinion---any person that has unselfishly put their butt on the line for this country has the right to misspell a couple of words in a CrossFit discussion board post...have some respect.

Oh relax. It's not as if I called him a moron for a typo. Clearly it was just a case of "fat fingers."

Yes, Terry. Thank you.

Aaron - Try the decaf.

- Mark
Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

In my opinion, someone who can handle combat can handle sarcasm and some ribbing.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Evans View Post

I've "unselfishly put my butt on the line for this country" (9 year Navy with honorable discharge) and I thought Mark's post was rather entertaining. Different strokes, I guess...
Old 10-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #9
Aaron Evans

Profile:

I was in the Navy also (SAR swimmer on a DD, in the Gulf during Desert Storm)---honorably discharged as well, and I didn't.

Its just a difference in personalities, I guess---no big deal.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
If you get a subscription to the CrossFit Journal, there are articles on military type workouts using ammo cans filled with sand, 5 gallon water jugs, stretchers, rocks, sand bags, etc. These items are readily available in the field and make for cheap alternative workouts that can be done anywhere. Big benefit as most any gym will scoff at the idea of taking their weights outside.

For the subs in question: Rowing like was mentions is a 45# sumo deadlift high pull (shin to chin), with 1 rep per 10 meters subbed.

The rope climb sub depends on how you'll climb the rope. First, subtract 5 feet from the height to get total reps (15' climb means 10 reps, 20' climb means 15 reps) to simulate starting from a standing position.

Next, decide if you're using feet or no feet on the climb. If "No Feet" then do towel pull-ups, kipping is ok. However, to better simulate the fact your hands are moving up the rope, tap the bar the towel is hanging around at the top of your pull-up. Also, you can make it to where one must do all reps of the "rope climb" for it to count to simulate making it all the way to the top.

If you use feet to climb then it's easier. I think the best simulation is towel knees to elbows. Like above, you can dictate that one must do all reps before coming off the towel in order for one rope climb to count.

Lots of skills to you and make it home safe.